Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2024, 11:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon: Traffic police can’t stop or challan vehicles at night

The Gurgaon DCP Traffic has issued new guidelines for traffic personnel deployed at night. As per the instructions, no challans shall be issued to vehicles at night to avoid driver inconvenience. However, if necessary, the police can challan a driver with the permission of higher authorities.

Gurgaon: Traffic police can’t stop or challan vehicles at night-880gk7j_gurugrampolice_625x300_31_may_24.jpg

“It has come to the notice of the undersigned that the traffic police personnel deployed at night are unnecessarily stopping vehicles of common people and harassing them and are also unnecessarily issuing challans for vehicles,” the department said.

The letter also highlighted the duties of the traffic personnel deployed at night. The personnel should focus more on guiding and helping common people and drivers.

“The traffic personnel deployed at night should play an important role as Traffic Police by guiding and helping the common people and drivers and arranging safe routes to take them to their destinations and in case of a road accident. The injured persons should be immediately admitted to the nearest trauma centre and the accident-hit vehicles should be immediately removed from the main road and traffic should be allowed to run smoothly.”

According to media reports, the new guidelines aim to enhance the convenience of commuters and reduce delays, when travelling at night.

Source: TOI

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 11:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon: Traffic police can’t stop or challan vehicles at night

While the curb on harassing normal people at night is good, how do they plan to curb Drunk Driving instances or general nakabandi in this context? Very strange directive, for sure.
anilp is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 11:51   #3
BHPian

So Gurgaon wants to be a instagram menace at night?

The thought of the unlimited new cringe content by cars doing weird turns, driving on curb, tacky photoshoots and oh yes, entry spec baleno with 17 inch 5 spoke wheels drifting (powersliding) across the street while flashing blue and red USB powered lights is borderline making me want to give up on internet for a couple of months.

omranga98 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 12:02   #4
BHPian

I am Speechless. This belongs to the list of top 10 dumbest things ever.

Security and safety are 24x7 matters - there are no happy hours here. While they need to have control on unnecessary harassment, it should not be a free for all either.
Rodie09 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 12:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore traffic police stopped checking vehicles even during day time in the recent past and resorted to 'online Challan' system. The result is that rampant wrong side driving/riding, breaking traffic signals has increased exponentially. I have never been a fan of traffic police doing random checks, however I think that is a necessary evil to keep our lawless roads safe.

I see this repeated in Gurgaon. Very ill conceived idea
dass is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 13:05   #6
BHPian

It's the barricading that causes issues, cops will place it so close that even a perfect 3 lane road will get clogged. Police is still deployed but they will stop only if they find something suspicious, also after COVID I don't think checks for drunk driving have resumed. So it makes sense to me, really one or two instagram stuff really don't show the entire picture.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2024 at 20:49. Reason: Typos
Old 4th June 2024, 13:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Gurgaon DCP Traffic has issued new guidelines for traffic personnel deployed at night.
Enclosing official order.
Attached Thumbnails
Gurgaon: Traffic police can’t stop or challan vehicles at night-gtp.jpg  

mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 13:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Bangalore traffic police stopped checking vehicles even during day time in the recent past and resorted to 'online Challan' system. The result is that rampant wrong side driving/riding, breaking traffic signals has increased exponentially. I have never been a fan of traffic police doing random checks, however I think that is a necessary evil to keep our lawless roads safe.

I see this repeated in Gurgaon. Very ill conceived idea
Not to mention So many bikes driving around with a number plate!
Old 4th June 2024, 13:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Not to mention So many bikes driving around with a number plate!
Assuming you meant Without a rear number plate. I agree. The sheer number is just mind boggling.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 15:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus1 View Post
Its the barricading that causes issues, cops will place it so close that even a perfect 3 lane road will get clogged. Police is still deployed but they will stop only if they find something suspicious, also after COVID I dont think checks for drunk driving has resumed. So it makes sense to me, really one or two instagram stuff really dont show the entire picture.
Checking for drunk driving has started more than a year ago, at all prominent places across Gurgaon.
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 12:21   #11
BHPian

Hope they don't stop the regular checks for drunk driving and other violations. If they do, every night could become like a scene from the movie The Purge.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 14:23   #12
BHPian

I believe this is Boost Car-o-Bar in Gurgaon, which is already a prevalent business in the area. Liquor is readily available here, with options on every corner or within 500 meters. However, I feel unsafe driving in Gurgaon, especially when returning to Delhi after late-night outings. I’ll definitely think twice before venturing out there again. Aero City seems like a more promising destination now.”
Old 5th June 2024, 17:33   #13
BHPian

Drunk driving is still being challaned.

The problem in Gurgaon was/is harassment instead of enforcement. The traffic cop (usually a constable or homeguard) would flag down the vehicle, ask for papers and then keep your DL/RC in his pocket and go sit in his chair, telling you to wait till "saheb" comes. They mostly do not have a challan book, or e-challan machine available.
You either wait (endlessly) OR call your contacts OR let go of some weight of your wallet.

The traffic checks are usually limited to middle class office going vehicles (100-150 cc bikes, scooters, small hatchbacks etc.). You are free (rather welcome) to break any rules, carry heavy artillery, smuggle drugs in Scorpio/Fortuner/Thar or other such category vehicle.

So, I feel it is a good move

Last edited by low_rider : 5th June 2024 at 17:35.
low_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 17:49   #14

I am from Gurgaon and can relate to the situation and reasons leading to such a decision. This has both pros and cons IMO.
Pros - Family man like us having infants need not wait for 10-15 mins at random barricades within the city(especially if stepped out on weekend nights).
Cons- This will further increase the morale of miscreant drunk drivers who drive recklessly after late night parties. And also, will increase famous car-o-bar in sector markets.

Last edited by KarthikK : 5th June 2024 at 18:10.
Passion2explore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 17:40   #15

OMG! While we are at it, let’s also add weekends and festival days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks