Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 13:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Share your driving license test experience

It was 2002 when I first applied for my driving license. The written test was a breeze and the day arrived for the road test. We showed up at the Kazhakuttom RTO (this is in Trivandrum, Kerala) on the day of the test and apart from a handful of solo applicants, the rest were all candidates from driving schools. The test went smoothly and it seemed like the inspector was letting me drive way longer than the other candidates. The reason would become clear later.

At one point, we were crossing a bridge when the inspector suddenly asked me to stop. I promptly brought the vehicle to a stop thinking there was a problem. The inspector then turns toward me and says "this is a fail, you arent supposed to stop on a bridge" and asks me to return to the test ground. He then says we need to book a new date and retry the road test.

We would later come to know that all the driving schools would hand the inspectors a minimum of Rs. 500 during the road test and the most possible reason for failure was that he did not get paid. This might also explain why he let the test go on for longer, thinking that we were going to pay him at some point.

Long story short - when we showed up the second time, it was with the same inspector by some weird coincidence. My Dad asked him if he remembered us from last time, and told him that if he was expecting money he need have only asked, instead of failing me on my first try for such a petty reason. I think the guy felt bad, because he said we need not take the road test again, and asked us to collect the driving license straight away.
arnieshwartz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The agent knew what the drill was and told me that the evaluator would ask me to take one round of the ground and then reverse into a spot.

I knew that you had to ride the bike in the shape of an '8' and you were done.
You will be happy (sarcastic) to learn that the process is exactly the same in Karnataka as late as last year. KR Puram RTO, empty ground, my car and a borrowed bike.

In order to get a learner’s license one has to pass a fairly simple and in some respects shocking online exam. Apparently the maximum speed for a two wheeler Anywhere in the city is 40Kmph, and one still has to use hand signals according to the test.

I was embarrassed to learn that a country like South Africa has a better prepared and conducted written and practical driving test. This is the true solution to the accidents in India thread.
Old 29th February 2024, 13:24   #18
BHPian

My father taught me to drive (on empty grounds around our house and place of work) and made me proficient but didn't let me take the car on public roads till I was 18.

He told me he would rip me a new one if i got a tout for my license. So went to RTO, got a learner's license, got the study material, studied for it, appeared for tests 30 days later and got it the right way. Back in 2010, we were told we could take test in our own car. My mother accompanied me to the RTO on that fateful day.

Few people had turned up on their own and were promptly being fined by police present their for driving without a proper/full license holder accompanying them

I remember RTO being not crowded at all, starting the driving test with mum in back seat and her complaining how ground made the ride very uncomfortable, and the driving inspector thought it would be cruel to put a lady through that and my test ended in 10 seconds. He said well you brought the car here so you know how to drive
ghost-was-here is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 15:51   #19
BHPian

Below is my hilarious account of my driving test in Texas.

Landing in Texas, I had to get a fresh driving license. And Texas DMV was notorious of being one of the hardest to clear driving test in the US.

I passed the written test and was allowed to drive with a temporary license. With a license holder by my side. I borrowed my neighbors car and took a few self lessons. Including parallel parking.
Practiced it hard. I was fully prepared.

Driving Test Day.
Arrived at the DMV. Made sure the car documents are in order, I had carried my temporary license with me. Handed it over to the lady who sat in the co passenger seat in the front as I sat behind the wheel for the test. This lady was the examiner.

She asked me to drive in a small neighborhood. Checked if I stop at the “Stop” sign. If I give way correctly at an intersection. If I leave enough distance behind the car in front at a red light.
Then we came back to the DMV where there was a special place designated for testing parallel parking. I did it like clock work.

I was only used to manual cars, even in the US. In earlier trips I only bought manual cars. Here I was driving my friend’s automatic car and since I was not used to driving any automatics in the US, I drove it with one hand over the steering wheel. The left one. The right hand was useless. Well, unless I had to slot the lever into reverse gear or park the car.

I thought I had aced the test.

I got the result right there.

“Incorrect Driving Posture.”
Failed!

I was like “Lady, I only drove sticks in the US. What do you expect?!”

Last edited by RunGaDa : 29th February 2024 at 15:54.
RunGaDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 15:53   #20
BHPian

First post - apt that it has to be on the "How I got my license" thread.

First License – Motorcycle Without Gear – May 1993
My first steed was an Avanti moped which was gifted by uncle after my 10th exams. Rode it without a license for almost a year and then approached a known driving school to help with the license procedure.

On the day of the learners license test, I went to the RTO office which was in the collectorate building in Thrissur. The instructor from the driving school was there and he gave me some pointers (eg: fully extend your arm when demonstrating right turn signal etc etc).

Soon, I am called into the room and the inspector asks the questions to which I give flawless answers. The last question from the inspector was “Ask your parents to come inside”. I told him that my parents were not present and then the bomb drops. The learners permit could not be issued in the absence of at least one parent. Ultimately, I had to come back another day along with my mother to get the LL.

Once I got the LL, I applied for the drivers license after the minimum period. On the morning of the test, I go to the ground on my moped and my name is called first. I confidently took my moped forward to the 4 iron rods arranged in a straight line. The driving school instructor, who was the designated licensed companion, had already told me that I needed to go between these four iron rods but neglected to tell me that it should be in the shape of an 8. Needless to say, the MVI was not impressed with my weaving through the rods.

Thankfully, the instructor was able to convince the MVI to give me another chance towards the end. By then, I had observed other candidates and realized that I needed to drive in an 8 pattern. Long story short, the second time was a success and within a day I got my license in a book form.

LMV & MCWG – Nov 1997
This was straightforward. I did not have to take an LL test again as I had the MC w/o G license.

Again, went through the same driving school. One thing I remember was during the road test I was driving the car and came up to a bus stop with a couple of buses ahead of me blocking the road. I slowed down to second gear and was about to stop behind the buses as there was no room to maneuver (at least in my rookie frame of mind). That is when the MVI himself took the steering wheel from the instructors seat, maneuvered the car in between the buses and asked me to continue driving. Guess he wanted to get back before his tea break at 10:00

The surprise was the bike – I had practiced on the driving schools Samurai. But on the test day the instructor comes with a Chetak. Quickly had to get used to the scooter gearing / turn radius. But I was able to get the hang of it within a couple of spins around my old friends – the 4 iron rods from 1993 – still standing proudly in the same exact spot as four years ago.

Anyway, no issues – both tests passed with flying colours and license book got endorsed for both categories.

LMV – USA – 2000
The test was in Green Bay, Wisconsin. A straightforward process with a written LL test followed by the on road driving test. On the day of the driving test, the examiner tells me and my instructor that I just passed by the skin of my teeth. I check the form and count 1 mistake more than the allowable limit. But, he was gracious enough to let me pass in my first try.

Regards
GR
kbnissan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 15:56   #21
BHPian

My test at Koramangala could hardly be classified as a test. I got in the car, slotted it into 1st gear, drove forward a 100m, stopped, slotted it into reverse, drove back to the start point. I quite literally didn't have to turn the wheel

2 weeks later and my license was delivered home.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 17:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

It was in 2004 North Karnataka when i got my first two-wheeler license, and in 2005 got my four-wheeler license. There were no formal theory tests back then, and I was failed both times in the driving tests for known reasons (I did not go through an agent) and remember paying Rs 30 for each test.

I recall not recognizing one of the road signs (Falling rocks) as the cause of failure in one of those tests.

In 2019, I got my Irish driving license for a four-wheeler, and the driving test here in EU is radically different from the Indian driving test method. Firstly, I had to take a theory test at Pearson Vue Centre, and I received a score of more than 98%. Then I had to undergo a total of 12 hours (one hour each) of driving lessons at a recognized driving school, followed by a 45-minute driving test where in a small number of mistakes are allowed in order to pass.

I passed my driving test on the first attempt and scored very well making only one minor mistake, and the driving officer provided very positive feedback. I know some people here who failed 3-4 times as the driving test here is difficult to pass.

While I wish India's driving test system was more like that of the West, I feel it would be incredibly difficult to train the millions of drivers who already have a license and who got it without a proper skill test.

Last edited by djay99 : 29th February 2024 at 17:27.
Old 29th February 2024, 20:28   #23
BHPian

2 Wheeler story:
I got my 2-wheeler license in 2003, as soon as I turned 18. In 2003 rules were very strict in Andhra Pradesh. I followed every instruction like giving indicators at every turn and ensured that I did not step down during the entire test and passed the test and got my license.

4 Wheeler story:
We got our first car in 2011 and I applied for a learner's license, I was supposed to get a permanent license after 2 months but for different reasons, it did not happen and I did not get my license for the next 5 years (don't jump to conclusion about my driving skills). I'm a very responsible driver and not even a single challan was raised on me in 4 years. On test day I went to the test track, seat belt on, and completed the test track giving indicators at every turn, we had to drive in an "H" pattern in reverse gear, I did that also without halting car.

Recently I have been to the RTA office and after seeing the people giving Driving tests I lost my senses. Drivers are not giving indicators, keeping their legs down and 4-wheeler people are not even wearing seat belts and officials are simply observing that and still approving the licenses.
anilsurya1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 21:07   #24

I took my driving license in Kerala - only LMV. H test was done smoothly. On the road test, the AMVI (Assistant Motor Vehicle Inspector) asked to show a couple of hand signals. One was to indicate the tailing vehicle to overtake my car. I promptly put my right hand out and casually waved it like the bus/truck drivers. My instructor was in the back seat. He got an earful from the AMVI, and I was told how to do it properly - you have to stretch your arm out fully, palm open upwards, lift and rotate the full arm forward 180 degrees. Luckily my license was not denied.
Prado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 21:15   #25
BHPian

Coming from the era, when license test was unheard of - I never exactly took one back in India. However for US license had to go through the full loop of getting a learners permit and subsequently take the test. I had to take my own car for the test with instructor and it was straight forward test of certain maneuvers.

More recently - I got my motorcycle license and it was surprisingly easy, at least in the state that I am in. Some of other states like NY are much more stringent, which mandates rider to hold a learners for at least 1 year.

Below is the process for IA -
- Riders can either go traditional route, get a learners and subsequently take the skill test at DMV
- Alternatively, riders can enroll for the New Rider course ( lot of Harley dealers offer these), which is typically spread over 2 days. On the second day - instructors take the skill test with maneuvers like Cone Weave, Normal Stop, Turn from Stop, U Turn, Quick Stop, Obstacle swerve. Points are deducted if you stall engine or put your foot down. If you pass the course - they issue a certificate. At the DMV, rider can then take the written test and get a waiver on skill test based on the rider academy certificate.

I took the second route and it worked out good for me.
Old 29th February 2024, 22:07   #26
BANNED

I have a pretty funny license story. I had learned to drive on our first-gen Fortuner M/T (lol). I used to drive it around on our campus for further practice before I was ready to appear for the driving test. I was asked to bring my own car by one of the 'agents' so that's what I did. The person who was supposed to take my driving was happy to see a full-sized Toyota SUV in a sea of small(ish) cars. I come from a suburban place in Uttrakhand so a Fortuner at that time was kind of a big deal. Here is how the conversation went -
He - 'Fortuner eh? Good good. Kabhi thoka to nahi? (Have you ever crashed it?)
I - 'No sir'
He - 'Chalo mujhe chalake dekhne do' (Okay now let me drive)
I - I reluctantly moved on to the passenger seat and handed him the keys.
*After driving around for roughly 500 meters*
He - Jao, tumhara test ho gaya (Go, your test is over)
I - *confused and awkward smiles*
A week later, I got my license.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 23:04   #27
BHPian

I applied for my driver's license in 2014 at Mumbai (Andheri RTO).
The online learner's license test was just introduced in Mumbai and applicants had to take an online appointment to get a learner's license which had a waiting of almost three months. Contacted my nearby driving school who managed to skip the queue and get me a learner's license within a couple of days by paying an extra 2k. Was handed over a booklet with traffic signs to prepare for the online test. Next day took the test and got the highest marks (19/20) in the batch of 30 applicants which was a proud moment for me.

Being familiar with cars and 10 driving classes later, it was time to take the final driving test at the RTO.
Reached there at the specified time and signed some forms provided by the driving school agent, I anxiously waited for the test to start. After a two hour wait under the Sun, the agent came out and handed my receipt saying that I don't need to appear for the test and that was it.
I know it's nothing to be proud of, but this was really a strange experience. I hope the authorities atleast conduct basic tests rather than just distributing driving licenses.
TheRajput is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 23:06   #28
BHPian

My test was only four years ago. I was supposed to be a license holder in March of 2020, but we know the history right . Anyways, the license test was pushed further away due to guidelines from the govt. However, I was lucky in a way that I was able to drive our car for a longer period, and the roads being only inhabited by tumbleweed, it made it a breeze. Of course I stuck to proper rules like my car having the L sticker and a license holder by my side, who was my dad. Being a time of fear of the virus, for almost every trip we took our car. I must've done about 500-700 kms within that period. Being a turbo diesel meant it was easy to drive, unlike the puny little Alto 800 we had in our driving school (only for tests though). I vehemently hated that car, cause I couldn't find a comfortable driving position. But, I later thank my stars cause the Alto 800 we had in our driving school was a newer one (at that time), and also relatively well kept.

I took my test on 29th of September, 2020. Me and my dad went to the test center at Kodappanakunnu (in Trivandrum). I was fairly confident about acing LMV test, but not so with the MCWG. One thing, my dad moved onto a scooter (which is now my primary ride), so no bikes with gears at disposal and I was reluctant to ask my friends too. Second, ladies at home didn't encourage me to ride two wheelers, since I lost one of my uncles to a horrific accident, when he was about my age now. So with wavering state of mind, I applied for two wheelers. We first planned to apply for two wheelers without gears, but on my insistence, the family finally gave the green signal for MCWG. Here again, I was very lucky that my driving school had a well maintained Splendor, compared to poorly kept M80s or Bajaj Sunnys that other schools had. I was okay with the balance part, but for some reason, I find it tricky to modulate clutch with my hand, a stark contrast to my feet which I am relatively much comfy with. As expected, I aced my H test, but the 8 was what I feared. It took me some time to get used to with a bike's controls. But, luck was with my side and I could complete both my tests within the first attempt

Road tests were hilarious. For two wheelers, we were asked to go around the testing ground, and changing the gear atleast once. The funny part was multiple people were attempting at the same time. My instructor mentioned it's okay if you didn't change gears, but the teen rage in me didn't pay heed to it. I changed to second gear and there was a visible jerk. The officer's didn't take a notice of this, and I passed the test by a whisker. For the car, I remember there was a convoy of driving test cars, who followed one another. My Ritz was also lucky enough to be a part of the convoy, and it carried me along with my mate I met at the driving school. While the first few folks were lucky enough to get a flat strech to complete the test, me and my mate were not. It was not only an incline, but also beside a blind curve. So one needs to extra cautious. I sat in, adjusted the RVMS and seat, and prepared for the test. I barely did 300-400 metres before the officer said to bring the vehicle to a halt. After I halted, he asked me whether I used the indicators. I said yes without thinking, but to this day, I really don't recall using the indicator to signal that I was about halt

That was my journey, and since then I have covered more than 10k kms in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

Last edited by subie_socal : 29th February 2024 at 23:13. Reason: Typos and missing contexts
Old 1st March 2024, 07:37   #29
BHPian

Interesting thread, it took me to early 2000's. I got three licenses. All three have different experiences.

1. Early 2000, I was in Gurgaon and my roommate said he is applying for driving licence. He didn't go for any practise/lessons. So I was a bit surprised, on enquiring he said no need to go for lessions or test. Just give photo, an address proof and fee (not remembering the amount). In a month's time we were issued driving license with details of an RTO in UP. At first glance itself we could make out that it is a fake license issued by some random guy. We used it as an ID proof in some occassions. I didn't have a two wheeler then.

2. In 2007, I moved to Pune and buying a car was not even in my dreams. But wanted to get a two wheeler license so approached a driving school. They convinced me to get four wheeler license too. Anyway thought of taking the plunge. By then I had trained to ride two wheeler but never drove a four wheeler. Signed up with a local driving school and went for few lessons. There was a learners driving test where we need to take a multiple choice test. After that attempted driving test on driving school's Swift. Not sure how much time I drove the car. But got passed on the first attempt.

3. Moved to Sydney in 2016, time for another driving license. Went for another online test called Driver Knowledge Test (DKT). Then they issued a learner license with which we can drive when a full license holder accompany us. I had driven around 35K Kms in India before moving here. Took few driving lessons which were very expensive, mainly for parking and unlearning few bad habits I picked up. My instructor said to take a test.

The driving test was very extensive. Each testing center has 3-5 testing routes which covers different scenarios and need to do a kerb side parking and a three point turn. The whole test takes around 30 minutes. During the test they evaluate the driver in terms of speed management, vehicle positioning, hazards response, vehicle control, decision making so on.

Attempt one - The test went fine, back to test center and the inspector said I crossed a double lane in one instance and failed the test.

Attempt two - As in the first attempt, drove carefully. It was around 9:30 AM and school zone speed limit was applicable. just before the final speed limit post vehicle speed became 42Km/Hr (40 Km/Hr is the speed limit). Another failure.

Attempt three - Booked an off peak, no school zone time slot and did the test and passed the test finally.

As I was holding a chip based Indian license for more than three years and I was above 21 years, I got full license.

If anyone below 21 years, they can take learners test one they enter age 16. Then drive 120 hrs with a full license holder and maintain the log book as evidence. Then go for a Hazard Perception Test (HPT). This is basically a video simulation of the real road scenarios and the candidate will be evaluated based on their response to the hazards (mainly timing and decision making). Then actual driving test and they will get a Provisional-1 (Red P) license. After an year the driver can apply for Provisional-2 (Green P). If a driver holds a provisional license, there are some restrictions on the cars they can drive, no mobile usage (even for music, navigation etc), alcohol and speed limit. After another year they will be issue full license. Long,very expensive journey.
Old 1st March 2024, 10:42   #30
BHPian

It was back in 2012 and it was the Electronic City RTO, Bangalore and my driving test was quite simple. After I got in the car, I was told to drive straight, take a U-turn and stop on the left side. Thats it.

One thing that caught me off guard was the look on the RTO inspector's face when I buckled up after getting in the car.

After I got out, another person got in, did pretty much the same thing and that was the end of his driving test.

Last edited by jensjoseph : 1st March 2024 at 10:42. Reason: Add more details
jensjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks