Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 09:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: London named 'World's slowest city to drive through' in 2023; Bengaluru & Pune in top-10

Looking closely at the data, Bangalore did improve compared to last year.

It is the only city in the top 10 where Change from 2022 is negative.

Looking at the data from last year, this was the situation:

London named 'World's slowest city to drive through' in 2023; Bengaluru & Pune in top-10-whatsapp-image-20240205-18.30.12.jpeg

Which means, 2023 was actually better than 2021(28:30), a partial COVID WFH year, by 20 seconds.

While it's still 6th worst in the world, at least there is *some* progress. Its better than the situation in Pune that has gone 100 seconds worse from 26:10 in 2021 to 27:50 in 2023. Compared to Pune, Bangalore has done better by 2 full minutes!

If these trends continue as is this year, by next year, Bangalore will be outside the top 10 most congested and Pune will be pushing into the top 5.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 09:45   #17
BHPian

Re: London named 'World's slowest city to drive through' in 2023; Bengaluru & Pune in top-10

I strongly disagree with the reported average travel time of 23 minutes per 10 kilometers in Bangalore. Having lived there from 2016 to 2022, my 8-kilometer office commute consistently took at least an hour, even during non-peak hours. Unlike Bangalore, Bombay, despite ongoing Metro construction, offers better traffic conditions.
Old 6th February 2024, 10:15   #18
BHPian

As this thread mentions London, let me tell you about my experience for the entire UK.

If by chance you are driving on a 2 lane highway or city roads, and a cyclist is on the same route, the entire motorcade will crawl behind him till he takes an exit

And if in the city a traffic signal is not working no one will move till it turns green, even if there is a km long queue of car's, and if you honk, be ready for stares, light flashing fingers showing etc., ridiculous
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:34   #19
BHPian

This analysis is derived based on TomTom Traffic, i.e. relying on people using TomTom maps? Need Google Maps to come out with the same as they would have a lot more data to analyze on.
Old 6th February 2024, 12:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
This analysis is derived based on TomTom Traffic, i.e. relying on people using TomTom maps? Need Google Maps to come out with the same as they would have a lot more data to analyze on.
Not so sure, because TomTom and Google work very differently when it comes to Traffic information.

TomTom devices send their position and speed continuously to the TomTom servers. As far as I am aware Google does not.

So TomTom has actual movement data of millions of individual cars that it tracks. Google does not track cars.

For the traffic information both TomTom and Google rely on lots of external inputs, from road camera to car density measurements build into roads. But the TomTom TI tends to be much better as it is augmented with the information derived from the actual cars itself. Initially, TomTom TI when it was first launched used only the data from the cars to predict traffic transistion times. I know because we helped them and Vodafone at the time to find a way to get the Mobile network to support this feature. My team and I were on the Beta test team. It took a lot of driving and tuning of the algorithms to get the TI to work properly. These days I find it is extremely good, all over Europe.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:39   #21
BHPian

Though London tops the list, it’s definitely the least chaotic traffic to drive. We had been to London last year for few days, and I’ve seen the congestion.
The difference is day and night when compared to cities like India. There is next to nothing sound of honks, and everybody maintains distance and discipline. Unlike here, where even a pedestrian won’t be spared, everybody wants to race to the available space.
And their public transportation and London Underground services are so good, you’re never more than 10 minutes away by walk to a station from any part of the city, and you will never have to wait more than 7 min for the next train.

Last edited by Vasanth : 6th February 2024 at 15:42.
Old 6th February 2024, 20:16   #22
BHPian

Here in mumbai suburbs(andheri, malad, santacruz), my car's average speed has mostly remained between 10-15 kmph inspite of one third driving during non peak hours. 10 kms in 22 minutes is a dream come true for me 🤣
Old 6th February 2024, 22:35   #23
BHPian

In my experience I find Pune to be worse than Bengaluru. Most of my travelling has been in Pune (since I live here) but here is the difference I felt in the traffic conditions between both cities.

1) Public transport is way better in bengaluru and is virtually non-existent in Pune.

2) Bengaluru has more greenery and more lakes/water bodies compared to pune. This helps bring down road temperatures and a change of scenery helps in driving.

3)More traffic cops around signals and busy roads in Bengaluru. I hardly ever see any traffic cops in pune and most are contracted, so they dont have much authority and it shows how people ignore them.

4) Wrong side driving and breaking signals is more prevalent in Pune compared to Bengaluru it seems.

5) Most roads seem to be wider in Pune, compared to Bengaluru.

Having said that, both cities deserve to be at the top of the list. Could it be that they are actually further down the list only because Tom-Tom is not used much in India and so they have fewer data points? A report by Google maps might give us a better picture.

Last edited by Zippy_wheels : 6th February 2024 at 22:38.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 22:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
And if in the city a traffic signal is not working no one will move till it turns green, even if there is a km long queue of car's, and if you honk, be ready for stares, light flashing fingers showing etc., ridiculous
The entire city is filled with cameras that dole out fines automatically, hence this is not surprising
Old 6th February 2024, 22:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Not so sure, because TomTom and Google work very differently when it comes to Traffic information.

TomTom devices send their position and speed continuously to the TomTom servers. As far as I am aware Google does not.

So TomTom has actual movement data of millions of individual cars that it tracks. Google does not track cars.

Jeroen
But google map also has all this info right? When you use maps in android auto or carplay, google clearly knows you are a car and your precise location etc. it even knows the make and model of the car.

Google derives its traffic information by analysing current information from cars on the same route and also some previous data.
Old 7th February 2024, 00:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedapudi6788 View Post
But google map also has all this info right? When you use maps in android auto or carplay, google clearly knows you are a car and your precise location etc. it even knows the make and model of the car.

Google derives its traffic information by analysing current information from cars on the same route and also some previous data.
No. Google does not track individual cars continuously. They have far more data than TomTom. But it is all about what is the most relevant data for this very purpose.

Jeroen
Old 7th February 2024, 04:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
No. Google does not track individual cars continuously. They have far more data than TomTom. But it is all about what is the most relevant data for this very purpose.

Jeroen
I think they do. Not too long ago someone conducted an experiment where they fooled google's traffic algorithm by putting a lot of android phones in a trolley and taking it through a street very slowly. That street turned red in google maps.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...0Google%20Maps.
Old 7th February 2024, 10:34   #28
BHPian

Tom Tom is based on GPS and an average is calculated in the final report. So it depends heavily on Tom Tom usage which will be more in Europe compared to India. Other than that variables such as peak congestion areas, highways etc is not differentiated.
Still it is fairly indicative of Indian cities traffic congestion.

Unless alternate public transports viz. Metro, local trains, monorail is increased and covers all important areas so that regular work commute is covered by that, the traffic woes aren't going to decrease any time soon.
Old 7th February 2024, 11:43   #29

Blore data does not seem right. It takes minimum 25-30 mins for 8 km stretch from BEL circle to Cauvery theatre for most times of the day except from 2:30-4 PM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks