Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2024, 13:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Department of Transport wants funny road signs on highways to be banned

According to a media report, the Federal Highway Administration, a sub-section of the US Department of Transportation (DOT), has issued a new guideline banning funny road signs on US interstates & state highways, claiming that they are distracting.

These road signs on highways displayed via variable message signs (VMS) often display warnings to drivers regarding delays, adverse weather conditions and crashes. Sometimes the state has fun with the messages displayed, working subtle jokes into them. State DOTs argue that irrespective of humour or lack thereof, drivers take their eyes off the road to read the messages. Having a funnier sign makes it more memorable, increasing the potential of the message being received better.

USA: Department of Transport wants funny road signs on highways to be banned-roadsigns.jpeg

Reports even state examples of the playful messages, some of them being genuinely funny. One such example is an Ohio VMS displaying -"Visiting in-laws? Slow down, get there late." Another is from Mississippi -"100 is the temperature, not the speed limit."

However, a legitimate issue with these lighthearted road signs is that if a message is too funny or popular, drivers could end up taking out their phones while behind the wheel to take pictures.

Tripp Shealy, a Virginia Tech professor of civil & environmental engineering, stated that there is merit to the fact that humourous signs do get across their messages better. Shealy's study even measured blood flow to the prefrontal cortex to determine which signs received the most cognitive attention. The result, funnier messages do the trick. She stated, "My recommendation would be that they’re useful, and humour should be allowed, from what we studied."

Source: WallStreetJournal

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 14:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: USA: Department of Transport wants funny road signs on highways to be banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The result, funnier messages do the trick. She stated, "My recommendation would be that they’re useful, and humour should be allowed, from what we studied."
Absolutely. I can remember most those humorous signs the BRO puts up on the twisting roads in Ladakh, warning drivers to be careful. They do get the message across well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
However, a legitimate issue with these lighthearted road signs is that if a message is too funny or popular, drivers could end up taking out their phones while behind the wheel to take pictures.
But yes, this is a very legit concern. Enough idiots using the phone while driving and even riding to click every single trivial thing they think needs to be shared and posted instantly!

Just like how the local authorities have to put up 'no selfie' signs at risky spots, I guess this is inevitable. (Though, if someone is stupid enough to put themselves at risk just for a selfie...let Darwinian evolution/selection take it's course I say!)

Last edited by am1m : 18th January 2024 at 14:47.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks