Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 13:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Curvature: A new map app to help find the curviest roads in the world

According to reports, a new Map app allows driving enthusiasts to find the curviest roads around the world. The new app called 'Curvature' is a Waze-like Map for enthusiasts, providing a colour-coordinated map highlighting the curviest roads across the planet.

Curvature: A new map app to help find the curviest roads in the world-curvature.jpg

As per reports, the app separates the roads into three colours: Yellow, Red and pink. The roads marked in yellow are mildly curvy while the pink roads are very twisty, with more time spent driving through corners than straights. The red-coloured roads are somewhere in between. The app also allows users to zoom in on a particular road to see a breakdown of the road's sections. Each of these sections is given a numeric "curvature value" ranging between 0 - 10,000 to determine how twisty it is - with any road below 300 said to be boring.

Talking about the app, Curvature is said to use data sourced from OpenStreetMap - a community-driven mapping project. It also has a proprietary road-curvature algorithm to determine which roads are the most fun to drive. As per the app, Italy & Japan are the two best places in the world for driving enthusiasts, with most of their roads covered in pink. A few other countries also include Mexico, Peru and the USA, to name a few.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by Omkar : 12th January 2024 at 12:36.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 15:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Curvature: A new map app to help find the curviest roads in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
According to reports, a new Map app allows driving enthusiasts to find the curviest roads around the world. The new app called 'Curvature' is a Waze-like Map for enthusiasts, providing a colour-coordinated map highlighting the curviest roads across the planet.
Wish for something. The internet will provide it within 2-3 years.

After ride hailing and food ordering apps, here is one showing us good driving roads. Always used to wonder if there was something to make it easier to find good roads instead of wasting fuel trying to discover new ones, yet not finding any.

Then, again. Looking at the map of Kerala highlighted not just in India, but globally, am not sure whether to laugh or cry. We are using those curvy roads for commuting and they are choc-a-bloc with traffic.. And most of them pass through residential areas.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 16:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Porsche has its ‘Roads’ app. That is superb but sadly it is not available on the Indian App Store.
I hunted on the App Store just now after reading this thread and I am not able to find this ‘Curvature’ app.
(iOS user here.)
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 18:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

I love this solution already. I'd been painstakingly browsing Google maps for fun roads to drive on during each of my business trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Porsche has its ‘Roads’ app. That is superb but sadly it is not available on the Indian App Store.
I hunted on the App Store just now after reading this thread and I am not able to find this ‘Curvature’ app.
(iOS user here.)
I don't think Curvature has an app on App Store or on Play Store. Instead, they suggest you locate roads around place of your interest and download kml file which you open in Google maps. Bit Cumbersome but it works. I have downloaded some kml files of specific routes in Norway and used it on Google Maps and it works just fine.
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 08:23   #5
BHPian

I have been using Calimoto in Australia for a while and it is one of the best navigation apps out there. It does take you through routes with most corners and has a rating system to gauge the level of fun.

I took out paid subscription as it also includes statistics like top speed, average speed, lean angles amongst host of other things.

The best part is it also works even when the screen is locked or turned off. I have got used to voice navigation and that allows me to focus on the road while the lady in my ear gives me direction.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Sedan owners can smile at this map.. A rare good news moment for Sedan owners, a dwindling community in India.

I hope someone can also make an off-road trail map similar to this. Will be very less populated, but, good to have info on public 4x4 trails.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I hope someone can also make an off-road trail map similar to this. Will be very less populated, but, good to have info on public 4x4 trails.
There are a few such apps already. I believe I saw in some TFLnow video (on youtube) an app called onX Offroad (onxmap.com). It is for precisely the use case you describe.

There are few more too -
Overland Bound one
BFGoodrich onTrail

I haven't used any since onX is not available in Finland and Overland Bound One doesn't have any Finnish Trails mapped.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 16:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
We are using those curvy roads for commuting and they are choc-a-bloc with traffic.. And most of them pass through residential areas.
I experienced this pain first hand while on my recent ride to Munnar. I was travelling through Munnar to Wayanad on that day and my lord was it the most hectic ride of my life. Took me more than 12 hours to cover a measly 300 kilometers.
Aakarsh Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 08:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I just discovered on this map, a road curvier than all others I have ever been to around Pune. And this hidden gem seems to be literally in my own backyard and I never knew it existed.

It's rated better than Tamhini ghat and the road to Lavasa. For Punekars reading this, it is the road from Panshet to Ghol. And Panshet was literally the first place my bike went to after coming home from the Showroom.

I will try it out this weekend and report my findings on how good this data is.
antz.bin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 08:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Updating live: The road was curvy alright. But very narrow. Could hardly ride at 50-60 in the interest of safety margins.

Seems that they are widening it and developing it as an alternative to Tamhini Ghat to go towards Konkan.

About 7 km of surface is not paved properly about 10km ahead of Panshet. The other side i(coming from Raigad fort side) s currently under construction as per the locals.

Still some time till it becomes a gem, till that time, let the cyclists enjoy these curves.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 12:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh Gupta View Post

I was travelling through Munnar to Wayanad

Took me more than 12 hours to cover a measly 300 kilometers.
In Kerala, distance is measured in time (journey time as well as departure time).

Ernakulam (Commercial Capital) and Trivandrum (State Capital) are separated by 6 hours in daytime, 7 hours in peak traffic and 5 hours in night time.

For reference the fastest train takes 3.15 hrs and the slowest one 5.30 hrs in the Trivandrum Ernakulam stretch of approx 225 kms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks