Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 17:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Talking about speed limits, there is this stretch between Kollam and Alapuzha on NH47 in Kerala where the speed limit mentioned as 25 KMPH for cars.

I don't know whether traffic police forgot to update the limits. Of course, everyone breaks the speed limit here. Including police vehicles.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:04   #77
BHPian

I maintain 50-60kmph at city limits till reach the E-WAY. Then take the left most lane and maintain 70-80 Kmph. I never dare to cross that limit. With skinny rubber on my GetZ Prime 1.1, i dont have confidence to cross that limit. Also i dont want to cross the legal speed limit.

Once with a friend ANHC i cross the 80kmph mark and maitain 85-90 kmph for some stright stretch.
That lonavala ghat section is very very dangerious with sharp turn. In that stretch i never cross 40 Kmph.

Last edited by KALINGA : 11th March 2010 at 18:06.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Btw the Speed Limit on the Mumbai Pune Expressway has been upped to 100 kmph since long i presume or hasn't it ?

I read this somewhere long before I left for the UK.

Anyway I maintain it between 120 to 140 on the expressway in my VDI
Old 11th March 2010, 18:18   #79
bhp
BHPian

@Humyum
the speed limit is still 80 kmph on straights and 30 kmph on ghats...ridicilous i would say..
Old 11th March 2010, 19:21   #80
BHPian

i was on e-way too this weekend. took my sx4 on to 150 for the first time. i didnt know there were maamu's on the E way too. you were just unlucky..forget it as a learning experience. i got to learn too i guess.
Old 11th March 2010, 19:35   #81
J.Ravi

On 6 March 2010, I touched 180 kmph in my Fiat Linea in Mumbai - Pune Expressway. Now, I thank my stars for reaching home without any financial loss.

Old 11th March 2010, 22:39   #82
BHPian

its not just on weekends. i did a number of quick day trips to Navi Mumbai last month and have seen them regularly even on weekdays. almost always at the same place: between the 2 lonavala exits (pune side and mumbai side exits).

Why complain about the cops? They are just doing their duty and it is for our safety. SO many accidents on the expressway happening because of cars going at high speed. Some people are very confident drivers i know, but the line between confidence and over-confidence is thinner than most people realise.

I stick to 80 kph and still manage to comfortably reach Vashi in around 1 hour 45 m. Better to be Mr.late than Late Mr.

speakin of safe driving on the expressway, i once saw a silver colored scorpio with team-bhp stickers swerving crazily on the expressway, the driver obviously drunk. Just before Kamshet, the dude pulled to the left lane and a beer bottle was thrown out of the left side window with the car still in motion!! anyone coming from the rear could have been struck! the broken glass on the road-shoulder could cause accidents!

its guys like these who the cops should be catching and putting behind bars!

Last edited by COUGAR : 11th March 2010 at 22:46.
Old 12th March 2010, 00:32   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
On 6 March 2010, I touched 180 kmph in my Fiat Linea in Mumbai - Pune Expressway. Now, I thank my stars for reaching home without any financial loss.
Fiat Linea 1368 CC, 90 BHP, 1160 KG and a top speed of 180 KPH.
And here most people says it's not a fast car.

Are you sure it was 180 KPH.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
@Humyum
the speed limit is still 80 kmph on straights and 30 kmph on ghats...ridicilous i would say..
30 kmph is although not ideal but going anything above 40-50 at the sharp bends is calling for trouble. The logic I suppose for defining 30 kmph is coz the tankers, trailers, trucks, volvo buses block the bends because of their huge turning radius other vehicle are forced to go at 30 or less.
The other day I read in a newspaper that a guy in Audi was caught by E-way police for over speeding. When asked for the reason he said he had not bought an AUDI to go at 80. Neverthe less he was fined. Since he had an AUDI he could afford the fine too.
The other thing which annoys me a lot is to see the smoke spewing vehicles mostly the old trucks which make a great effort to climb the ghat sections and in the process emit so much pollutants making it difficult for other vehicles to enjoy the scenic ride.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:11   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wrong.
Most US highways(interestates) have 70mph limits, though it varies from state to state.
Moreover, there you are ticketed only if you are going too fast for the traffic,
You got stuck with the numbers and missed the thought behind the post. Irrespective, the speed limit in US interstate varies between 55 to 80. And 95% of the drivers there do a + or - 10 on the prescribed limits without the fear of being ticketed.

However, the point was that in the US - infrastructure, roads, cars, driving discipline etc is way way ahead than even our best expressways. Still, they have a decent speed limit and people more or less stick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
US citizoins rarely drive long distance for any other reason than pleasure. They take the plane or train or coach instead.
Train network in the US is non existant. People who can 'afford' take the flight. Or people travelling very far (say opposite poles of the country) take the flight.

Everyone else simply drives. It is way more cheaper and reliable.

Quote:
In a country as big as India silly speed limits will increase the accident rate. The slower the speed, the longer the car is on the road. This increases traffic jams and the longer a driver is on the road the more likely concentration and alertness is going out of the window.
Seriously? Pls tell me you were joking here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
@Humyum
Not quite. It keeps you and others safe.

80 kmph is good enough pace in today's times and 30 is only for sections with turns and where the lanes become narrow.
Even in tunnels the speeds are kept at 80.

There's no reason to push beyond sane speeds. Start 10 minutes early if you want to reach quicker and safer.

Quote:
Sir, you got to thank your stars for a lot more here than just 200 bucks.
To be ALIVE for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

Why complain about the cops? They are just doing their duty and it is for our safety. SO many accidents on the expressway happening because of cars going at high speed. Some people are very confident drivers i know, but the line between confidence and over-confidence is thinner than most people realise.

I stick to 80 kph and still manage to comfortably reach Vashi in around 1 hour 45 m. Better to be Mr.late than Late Mr.

speakin of safe driving on the expressway, i once saw a silver colored scorpio with team-bhp stickers swerving crazily on the expressway, the driver obviously drunk. Just before Kamshet, the dude pulled to the left lane and a beer bottle was thrown out of the left side window with the car still in motion!! anyone coming from the rear could have been struck! the broken glass on the road-shoulder could cause accidents!

its guys like these who the cops should be catching and putting behind bars!
Much appreciated. Said it like it should be.

People (atleast us bhpians) should be show more social responsiblity here and stop treating the roads as personal play grounds.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:35   #86
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Sir, you got to thank your stars for a lot more here than just 200 bucks. To be ALIVE for starters.
jigbarai,

I was driving with my family and I achieved my record speed on almost deserted road after ghat section. So, I thanked my stars only for great escape from financial loss! As a driver with more than 3 decades of accident-free driving experience, I knew my responsibility and when to cross to triple-digit speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Fiat Linea 1368 CC, 90 BHP, 1160 KG and a top speed of 180 KPH. And here most people says it's not a fast car.
Are you sure it was 180 KPH.
akas_chauhan,

Here are the photographs clicked by my daughter just before my record speed [she could not capture the exact record speed at the exact moment]:

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th March 2010 at 11:47.

Old 12th March 2010, 11:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

I must say that those of you who do these speeds have terrific confidence in
1. Your car
2. Other peoples cars
3. Your reaction times and driving skills
4. Ditto of other people using the road
5. Ability of the fence to keep cattle away from the road
Old 12th March 2010, 11:44   #88
BHPian

Right said sawyer. I just went to pune last saturday and before the toll exit there were 4 cows crossing and i was doing 80km so it was not a major problem but anything above 120 would have been a recipe for disaster. Well said mate.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:00   #89
Senior - BHPian

AS others have mentioned you were lucky! i was charged 300bucks on BIA road just for crossing 80 and i was told above 100 its more!
Old 12th March 2010, 12:06   #90
BANNED

Quote:
I knew my responsibility and when to cross to triple-digit speed.
Whatever you are doing it is not worth it. Ride safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks