Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2023, 16:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: GPS-based toll system to be rolled out by March 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
gets all your commute ( private ) data.
AND FINALLY, the vehicle won't start unless there's balance in your Fastag account !!!!
That is where this is going to end.

Smartphone may have made privacy a myth, but the thing could be shut off or thrown away or used judiciously.

Our cars? Please don't bring in safety/security/costs. Just like subscriptions in cars, the powers to be will be rubbing their hands in glee the day when we would be charged for even getting in and sitting inside our cars.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 17:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
I guess the only way is to mandate GPS + data connectivity for all new vehicles since 202X [ Existing vehicle owners will have to fit some aftermarket solutions and bear the cost like Fastag , but cost will be Fasttag x 100 ] The cost might spike few thousands, but the solution is not completely off limits. Link the IMEI ID of device to the Fastag ( or similar ) accounts. The biggest drawback is NHAI ( or whichever agency is managing it ) gets all your commute ( private ) data.
AND FINALLY, the vehicle won't start unless there's balance in your Fastag account !!!!
Once implemented in this manner, it will simplify the process of charging tolls or user fees for numerous small sections, not just on national highways, but also within cities. This could include usage of infrastructure such as flyovers, subways, small bridges, among other options.

Some cities might begin to charge for every kilometer driven within city limits.

In the future, with virtually no cost to establish toll plazas, we might have to bear a road user fee for every kilometer we drive, in addition to the cost of petrol.
antonylejos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:13   #18
BHPian

Why not just ask vehicles to pay some toll for every km that its driven. Either in City or Highways
Make it foolproof with authentication and checks done every now and then randomly.

This scheme might be to give business to GNSS chip makers and cell phone companies etc. Also, I did not know that now the highway lengths are based on counting each lane separately. Although a accepted standard, need to see how much this has inflated the highway construction numbers.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 21st December 2023 at 18:15.
Old 21st December 2023, 23:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
... This scheme might be to give business to GNSS chip makers and cell phone companies ...
Fastag itself was a scheme to make money for Fastag vendors, who in-turn must've given massive kickbacks to those who decide on it (like a certain someone's luxury bus gift). There were so many ways to automate toll collection without Fastag.

1) Vehicles used to automatically come fitted with a RFID tag till about 2015. It would have been trivial to integrate it for toll collection.

But every vehicle buyer, weather he will ever cross a toll or not, is forced to buy a separate Fastag which is worth INR500 (refundable) in order to register his vehicle. I doubt anyone's getting their refundable back after peeling the Fastag off the windshield.

2) In my state, speed cameras have been working very well since 2012/13. If a system that can detect and impose a monetary transaction on a vehicle that is going over 70 kmph (then speed limit), without even stopping, was already in place, how difficult would it have been to implement toll onto this. It could have been done without involving any 3rd party vendor.

3) The RFID Fastag people have purchased is already a relic. Most toll booths use cameras to read the number plate now. The RFID is just a backup. In fact it is the 2nd backup. The operator typing in the number manually is the 1st backup.

RFID had too high a failure rate. I used to have a 50% read failure, and needed the handheld scanner, till the number plate reader system was implemented. Paying cash in correct change was faster then RFID for me.

4) Penalising people for using cash, double payment for cash payments! Imagine your grocer doing the same thing! Cash lanes should have existed, like they do in every civilised country.

Fastag always was a way for PEOPLE in the government to make money from the vendors who minted money. And the Indian people took it laying down. Now that has been squeezed dry, they whole setup is going to be tossed in the trash.

Now they have found a new teat to milk. And this time they'll squeeze till there's blood if they can get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonylejos View Post
... we might have to bear a road user fee for every kilometer we drive, in addition to the cost of petrol ...
They can also add a waiting charge, like for taxis / autos, for every minute a car is stopped outside the owner's property. It should be easy to implement with GPS.

Last edited by Ayson : 21st December 2023 at 23:46. Reason: added text
Ayson is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 01:15   #20
BHPian

Toll this, Fastag that.

My takeaway from this news is a bit different: So the government wants to track my car every time it’s moving so that I don’t have to wait at toll plazas.

This seems like a Trojan horse. What happens to data privacy? I would much prefer a number plate based system over this, yes the same one being used currently to hand out fines for doing 55 Kmph on an “expressway”.
revsperminute is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 13:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Toll this, Fastag that.

My takeaway from this news is a bit different: So the government wants to track my car every time it’s moving so that I don’t have to wait at toll plazas.

This seems like a Trojan horse. What happens to data privacy? I would much prefer a number plate based system over this, yes the same one being used currently to hand out fines for doing 55 Kmph on an “expressway”.

Exactly, surprised to see nobody else seeing this problem on the thread. I'm not at comfortable with a govt database/system tracking where my car is at any point of time.
Burgman_tales is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 14:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
Exactly, surprised to see nobody else seeing this problem on the thread. I'm not at comfortable with a govt database/system tracking…
I am sure most are not comfortable and many do not want this but these days its best not to speak up as our concerns are rarely addressed.

The collective financial burden on citizens will be enormous in my personal view. We all spent 500 per car before 31st december 2020 and then saw the fastag rules change where the 150 deposit has been done away with to reduce burden. PayTM and co. benefitted immensely from sale of Fastags.

Now we all will end up paying for this new system of deduction?

Instead of scrapping the Fastag system, the Government should improve Fastag:

1. Standard location of Fastag readers, from the toll gate so that people know where to stop. No need to move forward and back.

2. Better connectivity with servers leading to fewer delayed toll deductions so that one need not pay extra during return journey (citing this as an example) just because money from earlier journey hasnt been deducted yet.

3. Better redressal of excess toll deduction.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 15:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Toll this, Fastag that.

This whole GPS thing doesn't make sense. What if I remove the GPS receiver and keep it at home? Wouldn't that help me to avoid toll and keep law enforcement away?

Speaking about privacy, our own govt takes pride in monetising our personal data for petty gains! They sold the driver's license details of every Indian if you didn't know. Check this link . Atmanirbhar people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
Exactly, surprised to see nobody else seeing this problem on the thread. I'm not at comfortable with a govt database/system tracking where my car is at any point of time.
I don't think we can stop these decision makers and hold them responsible. Please prove me wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I am sure most are not comfortable and many do not want this but these days its best not to speak up as our concerns are rarely addressed.

The collective financial burden on citizens will be enormous in my personal view. We all spent 500 per car before 31st december 2020 and then saw the fastag rules change where the 150 deposit has been done away with to reduce burden. PayTM and co. benefitted immensely from sale of Fastags.

Now we all will end up paying for this new system of deduction?

I think this is a case of sensationalism for upcoming election. Which country today is using this method for toll deduction? I don't think this is a proven method anywhere and neither do I think this is practical or feasible. Who's going to ensure compliance? Toll booths?
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:01   #24
BHPian

All that was needed in this age of advanced visual analytics is even simpler photo of the license plate to collect toll. Photo could have been used as proof too if there is some issue.

I want to know where something about me or my belonging is being tracked. Dont want GPS to be ON while I am moving.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Also, I did not know that now the highway lengths are based on counting each lane separately. Although a accepted standard, need to see how much this has inflated the highway construction numbers.

The formula was sliently changed on 1st April, 2018. It makes highway construction numbers look way more appealing than under previous governments.

Before 2018, highway length was counted irrespective of the number of lanes.
More can be read about the pros and cons of the new formula with a Google search. Reddit threads and all leading news websites ran it.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspatra View Post
But why though, Sorry if this comes out as rude. Why increase the penalty and price for commercial vehicles while making it free for personal vehicles. This feels more of a self-centric approach. It is like you hate commercial vehicles.
Well, another reason it’s justified is because commercial vehicles abuse and detoriate the highways way more than any private vehicles can.

The Delhi-Dausa patch of the New Delhi-Bombay Expressway has already developed bumps and holes and my bet is that those are due to overloaded commercial vehicles.

And those same commercial vehicles just destroyed the old Delhi-Jaipur highway. I’ve had numerous Tyre Bursts on that highway even after careful driving. Has costed me lakhs of rupees just to replace tyres.
Old 9th February 2024, 15:18   #27
BHPian

Re: GPS-based toll system to be rolled out by March 2024

FASTags are soon to be replaced by GPS-based electronic toll collection system on highways across India. The change could happen as soon as April this year, weeks before the nation goes to polls. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari has hinted that the GPS-based electronic toll collection system could be implemented before code of conduct comes into force ahead of the 2024 Lok Sabha Elections. As one of the first steps towards implementation, the Centre has appointed a consultant for GPS-based toll collection system on national highways.
Toni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 23:56   #28

GPS based toll system to be introduced before parliament elections on Mysore Bangalore express way

https://starofmysore.com/mysuru-beng...bha-polls/amp/
Old 12th February 2024, 19:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmachinist View Post
GPS based toll system to be introduced before parliament elections on Mysore Bangalore express way

https://starofmysore.com/mysuru-beng...bha-polls/amp/
I don't understand in what way this is GPS based, it says its based on number plate:

“A photo of the number plate will be clicked from where you are entering the toll road and where you are exiting. Money will be deducted from your bank account automatically. Users will have to pay only for the distance they are travelling.”
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 20:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
I don't understand in what way this is GPS based, it says its based on number plate:

“A photo of the number plate will be clicked from where you are entering the toll road and where you are exiting. Money will be deducted from your bank account automatically. Users will have to pay only for the distance they are travelling.”
Maybe its not based on GPS in car ? Take a photo of the vehicle at entry and exit points. Compute the distance based on the GPS location of where the photos were taken and charge them ?

Fast tag can still be used to deduct money since its linking vehicle number and some account. Or they will give some new way of connecting vehicle to account.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 12th February 2024 at 20:36.
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks