Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2023, 17:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps now comes with AI-powered features like Immersive view, navigation & Lens

Google has announced the addition of a number of new immersive features on its Google Maps app, expected to be rolled out soon.

As per reports, Google will make use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to offer the "Immersive View for Routes" feature, which offers better visualisation, including buildings and foliage. Google will use AI to combine its Street View with aerial images to help users visualise their destination, before actually going there.

Google Maps now comes with AI-powered features like Immersive view, navigation & Lens-googlemaps.jpg

Google has also integrated its "Lens" into Maps, which helps Google Maps orient itself using the phone's camera. The feature uses the phone's camera via Maps & with the help of AI and augmented reality, positions itself correctly, even if the GPS signal is lost. Further, the integration of Google Lens also shows users information about nearby ATMs, Cafes, Restaurants and more.

Other AI-powered features on Google Maps include detailed imagery with realistic-looking buildings, improved highway lane details, especially near exits and AI-powered speed limit information. EV owners can also check charging station information, such as car compatibility and when the charger was last used.

Source: CNET

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 23:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Google Maps now comes with AI-powered features like Immersive view, navigation & Lens

Logical and much needed enhancements. Specially sometimes near the flyovers, GMaps typical behaves wonky , if you understand what I mean.

What I am told is that for India, GMaps is working on lane based maps to identify which lane to take for multiple routes on the upcoming Delhi - Mumbai expressway.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 10:50   #3
BHPian

Re: Google Maps now comes with AI-powered features like Immersive view, navigation & Lens

Wow!! Google seems to be following the 'Gmail' model with Maps as well. Initially, Gmail was offered for free, and people received valuable updates at no cost, to the point where many considered Gmail the only viable option without alternatives.

Similarly, Google Maps is on its way. We can say that Google Maps is nearly 85% there. With the implementation of this AI feature, we can easily add another 10% to that figure. Consequently, we could expect Google to start charging for Google Maps usage in the very near future.
Ashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashar View Post
Consequently, we could expect Google to start charging for Google Maps usage in the very near future.
I disagree with this. End users are the means to collect data and google is not going to toil with that. Google Maps is already charging huge for businesses integrating their APIs. For a taxi app with monthly sales of 50L, we used to pay 1-2L for Google Maps. We had to implement lot of other solutions to reduce the cost below 1L. Chance of Google maps asking money for end users is really slim.
xcentrk is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:14   #5
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
I disagree with this. End users are the means to collect data and google is not going to toil with that. Google Maps is already charging huge for businesses integrating their APIs. For a taxi app with monthly sales of 50L, we used to pay 1-2L for Google Maps. We had to implement lot of other solutions to reduce the cost below 1L. Chance of Google maps asking money for end users is really slim.
True. End users are the ones that make their platform possible, Google in turn makes revenue selling it off for commercial use. Traffic data, POI's etc are possible due to the end users using it for free.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 09:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Consequently, we could expect Google to start charging for Google Maps usage in the very near future.
That would be equivalent to killing the goose that's laying the golden egg. Pretty sure gmaps is already bringing in a lot of revenue for Google and they won't see the need to charge individuals for use of the same.

While the above AI features sound good, I'm not sure when it will be launched in India. Current launch plans are limited to few Cities as detailed below.
Attached Thumbnails
Google Maps now comes with AI-powered features like Immersive view, navigation & Lens-screenshot_20231102091615.png  

procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 10:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

All I need Google Maps for, is to update the junction view and the flyover view. I still am not able to understand whether I should go up the flyover or below it and Google just shows a slight deviation in the road if one is to go below the flyover something which is easy to miss when you have to pay attention to the road while driving.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 3rd November 2023 at 08:47. Reason: Minor typo
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 11:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
All I need google map is tp update the junction view and the flyover view. I still am not able to understand whether I should go up the flyover or below it and google just shows a slight deviation in the road if one is to go below the flyover something which is easy to miss when you have to pay attention to the road while driving.
I think the voice prompts 'keep left' if the route takes under the flyover and 'keep right' if the route takes on the flyover
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 11:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
That would be equivalent to killing the goose that's laying the golden egg.
Respect your opinion.

However, from my observation, Google's pricing model is as innovative as its products, if I may say. Let's take Gmail for instance. You get 15GB of storage absolutely free across all of its products, only beyond which users are charged. That too, just around Rs. 100/- for upto 50GB.

Now, 15GB is more than enough for the bulk of users which should be around 85 - 90%. (In my entire joint family consisting of around 50 members, only 2 persons have a paid Gmail with capacity upto 50GB). So, the bulk of users, who are the data feeders, are still untouched or unaffected. Only the heavy hitters have to pay, but given the value they get out of it, the cost is negligible.

This is very much unlike the Microsoft model where small amount gets access to a small suite of products while larger amount gets access to a larger suite of products, and so on.

So, I am still positive that they would have an innovative pricing model for GMaps as well. Just a matter of time.
Ashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we could expect Google to start charging for Google Maps usage in the very near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Chance of Google maps asking money for end users is really slim.
Quote:
Pretty sure gmaps is already bringing in a lot of revenue for Google and they won't see the need to charge individuals for use of the same.
I expect Google to go the Youtube way for Maps too - fully ad-supported free product with some features missing, and ad-free, full-featured premium version available as a subscription.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 15:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I think the voice prompts 'keep left' if the route takes under the flyover and 'keep right' if the route takes on the flyover
Most of the time google just says "go straight" when there's a flyover or underpass.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 17:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I expect Google to go the Youtube way for Maps too - fully ad-supported free product with some features missing, and ad-free, full-featured premium version available as a subscription.
I agree with you on that. That is indeed a very good model and should work well with Maps as well.

One way or the other, they would bring in something to get their share, as it makes little economic sense in not doing that. They need to charge only a fraction of what they charge for businesses, as that combined with a huge number can result in almost the same (or even more) gross amount as they get from all businesses combined. This is similar to the concept of a Re. 1/- Shampoo Sachet versus a 1-liter Shampoo Bottle.
Old 2nd November 2023, 17:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Current launch plans are limited to few Cities as detailed below.
Most urgently required in the great silicon valley - IT capital of India - Bangalore with its amazing traffic and road infrastructure.
Old 2nd November 2023, 19:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Most urgently required in the great silicon valley - IT capital of India - Bangalore with its amazing traffic and road infrastructure.
In the last 2 years, there are lot of places that have street view in India including some surprisingly remote places.

While eye candy immersive view might not be there, with the street view available you can confirm if Google maps is asking you to jump off a bridge or take that 20 feet wide gully
Old 3rd November 2023, 23:39   #15
BHPian

how will this AI powered feature work with Android Auto?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks