Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2023, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Illogical parking rules in Mumbai (and other cities)

Last year my car was clamped on Juhu Tara Road for being in a “No parking” zone when the closest sign to this effect was more than 100 meters further away, with no way for anyone to know about this regulation. Upon confronting the traffic policeman, the pat response was that the entire road is a no parking zone.
One year later, “No parking” signs are more ubiquitous on the road than politician birthday greetings, but enforcement is a big fat ZERO.
Not to mention the inherent lack of logic in banning parking on the leftmost lane of a road when
1. The lane is undrivable for the most part, with trees, bends and sundry other barriers to the flow of traffic
2. Lack of alternate parking.

It looks like a combination of an arbitrary political diktat combined with money making for the BMC.
And this while cars, trucks, water tankers and buses merrily park on narrow roads all over the city, blocking traffic and creating hazards.
Often people will double or even triple park and leave their chauffeur in the car so they don’t get ticketed or towed.

The situation is no better in Pune and other large metros.
</End of Rant>
Attached Thumbnails
Illogical parking rules in Mumbai (and other cities)-img_3082.jpeg  

Illogical parking rules in Mumbai (and other cities)-img_3085.jpeg  

Illogical parking rules in Mumbai (and other cities)-img_3086.jpeg  

Last edited by Mustang Sammy : 28th October 2023 at 15:41. Reason: Typo
Mustang Sammy is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 15:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Illogical parking rules in Mumbai (and other cities)

Stopped looking for logic behind many such cases on the roads. There are many stretches here as well with No Parking or No Stopping signages and people happily park there for the entire day.

Randomly traffic cops on bike pull over and start chellaning everyone parked there. Free Buffet!

I just keep telling myself parking areas in the city are not based on my convenience.
deathwalkr is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 16:10   #3
BHPian

Thanks for opening this thread, very much needed.
In Baner locality in Pune where I live, there is an arterial road of about 5 kms and the entire stretch has been marked by corporation as a no parking zone. The locality has been so developed that all major establishments are on this road and it's quite a hub for businesses. One must note that this is a 4 lane cement road with one dedicated lane built for parking on each side and then a very wide smart City footpath which is usually encroached by multiple things/people. One would wonder if one cannot park their car in such a planned road wherelse can they? It can be understood if the measure was in anticipation of metro work that will run through this road. However, there is a good two km stretch that doesnt have any metro work.
Then what's the logic of this inconvenience?

Pune doesn't have great public transportation and most people depend on private vehicles. It's not simple to get a cab or auto for short distances. How are people supposed to go to market , banks, doctors without any access to parking in full 5 kms. There are no dedicated parking lots either.

Last but not the least, the implementation of the no parking is so sketchy that it's left to luck. People with connects and muscle power continue to park all the time and ordinary people who fear the fines have to suffer alone. Very sorry state of affairs.
Rodie09 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 09:54   #4
BHPian

Many places in Delhi NCR also face this problem. However I have observed that the MCD here actually does the smart thing and employs an agency which makes the whole roadside parking stretch as a paid parking zone. This deters many people from parking as they have to pay for it or if someone is willing to pay then he gets a proper parking spot which do-not hampers traffic ( to an extent).
Vkap257 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 10:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

With limited road expansion and the ever burgeoning vehicles on the road, No parking is a myth these days with every inch of road being occupied by the vehicles. The municipal authorities haven't been able to eliminate this Hydra which has grown to humungous proportions and majorly have given up except for those special occasions such as VIP visit or monthly/quarterly target collection days. It is a known fact the the drive to regulate the no parking zones itself is in the hands of unorganized people and there is no way one can see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I have seen many a clashes incl physical for the parking spots in a no parking zone.
Old 29th October 2023, 11:18   #6
BHPian

If memory serves, Bangalore's top-cop had made an announcement that every street in Bangalore is by default a no-parking zone unless explicitly indicated with signs that parking is permitted.

So, there need be zero no-parking signs and yet one could be ticketed (or worse) for parking.

Welcome to Bangalore

Cheers
tilt is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 12:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
If memory serves, Bangalore's top-cop had made an announcement that every street in Bangalore is by default a no-parking zone unless explicitly indicated with signs that parking is permitted.

So, there need be zero no-parking signs and yet one could be ticketed (or worse) for parking.

Welcome to Bangalore

Cheers
That’s right!

I was a victim of this. There was no ‘No Parking’ sign or board anywhere in that main road and people park their cars there through the entire main road on the left most side.

I was once issued an online challan for both my cars on the same road saying ‘Parking on Main Road’.

Don’t know on what basis they make up these kind of rules.

Thank you.
TURBO28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 17:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

They make such rules it appears discreetly with only the cops assigned to the area aware of the rules. But the traffic police's efforts to spread awareness of such rules, for the road users is almost nil to poor. And the about enforcement, the less said the better. Its like whosoever is caught on the wrong foot during the checks is challaned, which happen once in a while. Usually, when the cops have less than expected challans for the particular month to report, they reach the locales where the gullible can be trapped. Also secondly, when they are in a mood to extract bribes, they go for "stricter" enforcements. Thirdly, when there's a strict ( may also be corrupt) boss who reprimands the juniors for being unable to book challans, do such challans happen.

Long back, I was on my two wheeler at a traffic junction. The green traffic light turned suddenly yellow and very soon red. By the time it turned red, I had not fully crossed the junction. Those were the times of physical challans. Being on the extreme left, a cop at the kerbside stopped me and challaned for jumping the signal. I pointed to the other cars and two wheelers that had also jumped the signal but moved ahead from the centre of the road and not from the left like me, to be physically closer to the cop. The cop said "if there are many thieves around, the one who is caught faces the law, not the others who duck the cops."

So also, whosoever is caught on the wrong foot at a particular time by cops, faces the law.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th October 2023 at 17:27.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Not sure why we should assume parking on public roads is our right. Of course it's wrong of govt to allow businesses to come up without enough private parking but that doesn't give us the right to park on roads.

In Bangalore (and probably many other places) people buy cars and permanently park on the roads. If you don't have space inside your house to park, you should not be buying a car, period.
Burgman_tales is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 22:52   #10
BHPian

In Kerala, Every business is supposed to make provisions for parking. The place for parking exists on the plans submitted to Municipality/ Corporation/ Panchayat for approval of business.

However in reality it’s converted to additional retail space once inspection is done and approvals obtained.

If at all, some poor establishment does follow the rules, and maintain parking infra, it’s plagued by our citizens misusing it. Park at one shop, and purchase at another are some of the menaces

Multilevel paid parkings, every 500 metres in commercial areas are a solution. But of course, we as a nation like to park as close as possible to the shops we visit (if possible right inside the store)

And of course the permanent solution, comfortable, cheap and convenient public transport with last mile connectivity

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 29th October 2023 at 22:55.
Voodooblaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 00:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
Not sure why we should assume parking on public roads is our right. Of course it's wrong of govt to allow businesses to come up without enough private parking but that doesn't give us the right to park on roads.

In Bangalore (and probably many other places) people buy cars and permanently park on the roads. If you don't have space inside your house to park, you should not be buying a car, period.
By that logic shouldn’t one then be required to provide parking ownership/rental proof while buying the car? Why allow a car to be registered to a non-parking owning individual?
And what about parking while visiting someone else/shopping/hospitals/etc? Carry the owned parking space along? Or perhaps wait till we have Pym particles loaded cartridges to shrink our cars.
GreyNomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
By that logic shouldn’t one then be required to provide parking ownership/rental proof while buying the car? Why allow a car to be registered to a non-parking owning individual?
And what about parking while visiting someone else/shopping/hospitals/etc? Carry the owned parking space along? Or perhaps wait till we have Pym particles loaded cartridges to shrink our cars.
Shopping/hospitals should have enough space for parking.
Burgman_tales is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
In Kerala, Every business is supposed to make provisions for parking. The place for parking exists on the plans submitted to Municipality/ Corporation/ Panchayat for approval of business.
Your post reminded me of this hotel. It's on a very busy stretch of road next to a police station and the central railway station and near the main bus stand.

It's a very popular hotel and I avoid going there because of the parking woes.

Nice to see them implement a multi level parking system for their customers.

(Image off google streetview)
Attached Thumbnails
Illogical parking rules in Mumbai (and other cities)-park.jpg  

deathwalkr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought the parking situation was bad in Bangalore, till I spent some time at Mumbai! Seems like every inch of space in even the upscale residential areas is being used for parking.

This is going to ruffle a lot of feathers, especially on a forum like this, but using the roads for parking (either in Mumbai or Bangalore) is what causes a lot of the traffic issues and makes life hard for pedestrians. (I have a car too!)

But as car owners, we have to face facts. Most of our city spaces are being taken up by cars and car-related infra. How much more can we possibly squeeze in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The footpath is used by two wheelers only while the kerbside is used by four wheelers.
Arrey, you are missing the obvious solution- cut all those trees you see in the pic and "widen the roads". Then I can peacefully drive my car with a 'Protect/Save Nature!' sticker on it. After all 'I pay so much road tax, I deserve good roads!'

Last edited by am1m : 30th October 2023 at 11:35.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The footpath is used by two wheelers only while the kerbside is used by four wheelers. An ideal MOU between 2 and 4 wheelers. Pedestrians lose.

Illogical parking rules in Mumbai (and other cities)-20230623_130131.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks