Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2023, 13:38   #1
BHPian

Sitting in the front passenger seat makes me anxious | How to overcome that fear?

I love to drive, 99% of the time I will be at driver seat. There’s one more reason behind it, I have front seat passenger side anxiety. Solution? Luckily for me, if I sit at the rear, I don’t have any anxiety or fear. I just returned from Kerala to Bangalore and my friend was with me, while we were at a good stretch, gave the car to him and I took a nap, woke up, we were passing through a small town and passenger anxiety kicked in, had to tell him to stop the car and I took over the driver position. I always had this issue and I think it is mild level of Amaxophobia.

I am pretty sure there are others experiencing the same and wondering if there are any tips to make this condition better?

Last edited by jonesanto : 30th September 2023 at 13:50.
jonesanto is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 15:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Sitting in the front passenger seat makes me anxious | How to overcome that fear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
and I think it is mild level of Amaxophobia.
There was a word for it? I thought it was a case of not trusting any other driver, unless ownself is driving it. Weirdly all is well when sitting in the rear seats.

People with mild amaxophobia are the ones who constantly keep their hands on the dashboard, press the imaginary brake on the floor and keep the driver on alert shaming ADAS. Making the driver stop and get on the driving seat? That is serious stuff. I have a buddy who gets anxious when he is in the front passenger seat. But slowly he has become comfortable with people he trusts. Still, when driven fast or when a biker comes close his hands go to the dashboard automatically.

Guess, maybe start to ride with drivers who you trust or feel safe with.
DicKy is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:13   #3
BANNED

re: Sitting in the front passenger seat makes me anxious | How to overcome that fear?

Well you learn something new everyday! Coming to Amaxophobia, I do have it. I'm very scared to sit with most of the people. I have been comfortable with only 4-5 people till now, all were cab drivers, the latest was a 24 year old Uber guy who picked me up yesterday. One of the cabbies became a family friend, still continuing the friendship from last 8 years.

The reason for being uncomfortable with others is that all the others didn't know how to drive a car. So it's not a rare phenomenon I guess, as the vast majority on our roads aren't fit to be driving. So if you are having basic road sense, you will feel threatened with those kind of drivers.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am pretty sure there are others experiencing the same and wondering if there are any tips to make this condition better?
Not sure if it is the same, but I have fear/anxiety on amusement park rides. The solution is to just shut your eyes. If you end up in front passenger seat, you can tell the driver that you are meditating or napping

Quote:
Solution? Luckily for me, if I sit at the rear, I don’t have any anxiety or fear.
That's why I reckon 'shutting eyes' will work. In the backseat, your brain is not sensing any danger because your eyes are not giving it any inputs. At the rear, your view of the road (danger) is mostly blocked by the front passenger seat/headrest.

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th September 2023 at 17:04.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 17:18   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

When I am on the rear seat, I feel like puking. I can manage the front two seats without problem.

What I understood from my situation was, that I need to keep my mind super busy.

You can try getting busy with your mobile when you are in the front seat.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 30th September 2023 at 17:20.
MT_Hyderabad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 17:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

I feel anxious when others are driving. In fact it is more when I am at the back seat as I can't see what's happening on the road.
One of the reason for anxiety is, every driver has a slightly different way/pattern of driving (ex: the point at which you slow down, give way to other traffic, overtake only when it is absolutely safe etc).

Last edited by Guna : 30th September 2023 at 17:26.
Guna is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 18:24   #7
BHPian

I didn't wake up today expecting to learn a new word - Amaxophobia. Thank you, sir.

I also feel similar to this, but that's mostly the trust issues with drivers I don't know.

As couple of people said, at front seat we get more information compared to sitting at the rear. There is an unobstructed view of the road and all the other vehicles/pedestrians/animals. Thus, the brain is more alert and ready to act even on a slight input of (pseudo) danger.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 18:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is not a good idea to take a nap while sitting in the front passenger seat. If we sleep, the driver may feel sleepy too. A person in that seat should be wide awake and engage the driver in conversation from time to time.

My problem is not anxiety, it is different! I can stay awake and alert while I am driving, but will feel drowsy within thirty minutes if I am a passenger! Ditto while travelling by bus too. If I get a comfy seat, i will sleep for hours. But I don't feel sleepy when sitting in a train.

I do have that anxiety while sitting pillion on a two wheeler though. I always prefer to ride.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 09:32   #9
BHPian

Before I learned how to drive and owned a car, I was fine sitting anywhere in the car. Now when I am in my car especially, I am not comfortable in any seat except the driver seat. Because I am so much connected with the car and I drive it daily, I tend to read too much into the way the other driver is treating my car. Moreover, I get bored very easily when I am not the one driving the car now.
where_to_next is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 10:29   #10
BHPian

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who faces it. I experience this on two wheelers too. I am not able to sit in a relaxed position as a pillion. My mind is constantly driving and giving commands. This is the sole reason why I always prefer to take and ride my bike for any purpose.
Old 1st October 2023, 10:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I love to drive, 99% of the time I will be at driver seat. There’s one more reason behind it, I have front seat passenger side anxiety. Solution? Luckily for me, if I sit at the rear, I don’t have any anxiety or fear. I just returned from Kerala to Bangalore and my friend was with me, while we were at a good stretch, gave the car to him and I took a nap, woke up, we were passing through a small town and passenger anxiety kicked in, had to tell him to stop the car and I took over the driver position. I always had this issue and I think it is mild level of Amaxophobia.

New word learnt!
Quote:
Amaxophobia is a fear of being in a vehicle, either as a passenger or a driver. This phobia can be serious and life-limiting, making it difficult or even impossible for people to be in a car, bus, train, or airplane.

Amaxophobia is also sometimes known by other names including ochophobia, motorphobia, or hamaxophobia.
Does this feeling apply to your riding on a bus, train or plane too? Or even a cab? Or are you just anxious if someone else is driving your own car? Because that is an anxiety I suffer from - a bad (according to my judgment) driver driving my own car causes me to worry, but I don't care if it is someone else's car (I'd just put on my seat belt and keep my fingers crossed).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 14:30   #12
BHPian

Re: Sitting in the front passenger seat makes me anxious | How to overcome that fear?

I suffer from it. It is extremely hard for me to sit in front passenger seat. So no one else drives my car and if at all I have to travel as a passenger, I take the back seat. City taxis are mostly ok, but on highways I get severe anxiety even in taxis.
Old 1st October 2023, 14:55   #13
BHPian

Re: Sitting in the front passenger seat makes me anxious | How to overcome that fear?

I never had it earlier for more than 80% of my life but I was involved in an accident where the cab driver rammed the car in divider after falling asleep.

Since last 6 years, I get very anxious when I am not driving. This is especially the case with the hired transport. I have experienced such instances where driver was on verge of falling asleep. This trend was more common in outstation cabs I took late at night.

I really wish to overcome that anxiety.
Tiago_Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 15:55   #14
BHPian

Same situation here as well !

Regardless of the driver experience, I am always anxious in the front passenger seat ( I can never fall asleep here). Its probably super common for those who drive a lot. Worst is when I have such a person when I am driving and i keep getting inputs like slow down before the corner or speed breaker.. or even worse sound horn before the turn !!
Old 1st October 2023, 16:02   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Have the same problem. It is acute in my own car but am always pressing an “air brake” even when in the front seat of a taxi. I think the reason is mainly because people tend to tailgate in India. I don’t know if I do the same - but most cab drivers, my office car driver and even my own family driver tend to follow cars that with too small a gap - which makes my very nervous indeed.

This is probably the main reason why I don’t use a driver for my car except in emergencies.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks