Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 14:38   #1
BHPian

A flyover construction in Bengaluru that could have been avoided!

As soon as you take a right from Mysore Road at the Nayandahalli junction, you will enter the Outer Ring Road which connects to the residential localities of South Bengaluru. After driving for 800 meters, you are welcomed by Hosakerehalli Junction and the prolonged traffic jams at this signal which was common until 2021. To ease the traffic congestion, BBMP started to construct a new flyover as part of signal free corridor project between Nayandahalli and Central Silk Board. After 6 months, construction was put on hold after BMRCL revealed the plan to have a metro line in this stretch. Interestingly after few months, the work has started again and going at a full speed.

This is the location (yellow star) where the flyover is coming up:
A flyover construction in Bengaluru that could have been avoided!-bhp2.jpg

To everyone's surprise, the traffic congestion has considerably reduced even though the construction is going on. This is mainly because of a clover leaf interchange of NICE road which is right under the Outer Ring Road. BBMP would have saved crores of rupees by making minor additions to the clover leaf as shown below (black line and dots). This which would have helped commuters a lot. Do you also think that this flyover could have been avoided?

A flyover construction in Bengaluru that could have been avoided!-map.png
madhukarmohan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 09:34   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A flyover construction in Bengaluru that could have been avoided!

Mod Note: Thread moved to Street Experiences, thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 10:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It is becoming more apparent that a lot of road infra projects in Bangalore have been started with absolutely no real end-goal in mind, except to make money for the politicians and contractors involved. Irrespective of political party and who is in power. Some of these blunders are really blunders ("Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.") and because of no co-ordination between the various agencies, BBMP, BMRCL, BWSSB, BDA, BESCOM. But it's becoming increasingly obvious that most of these "projects" are just money spinners. When will it translate to political action from us citizens? As long as it doesn't, it won't stop.
am1m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 10:53   #4
BHPian

This is one of the many infra projects in Bangalore which make no sense at all. The kadirenhalli underpass has the same issue, it was basic common sense that you extend the underpass by. a few meters another junction could have been made signal free but no our amazing civic planners have other ideas for it.

The latest in the list is the double decker road/metro till silk board, I mean who told them ending the flyover right before the junction will ease traffic ?
puntra800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, this flyover will ease the traffic flow especially from Banashankari side. During peak hours and rains, the traffic backs up almost till PES college. On the Nayandahalli side, I have seen traffic backup for almost 500 meters. The main problem is not vehicles going straight on the ORR. It is those who want to take a left/right turn at the signal that cause the backup due to narrow road and higher volume of vehicles wanting to take left/right .

Until the Katriguppe signal is also bypassed with a flyover or underpass, all that is going to happen is shift the traffic jam further down the road.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th July 2023 at 20:09. Reason: a word
sagarpadaki is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
This is one of the many infra projects in Bangalore which make no sense at all.
You are correct. This is one of the many projects which could have been avoided.

Quote:
The kadirenhalli underpass has the same issue, it was basic common sense that you extend the underpass by. a few meters another junction could have been made signal free but no our amazing civic planners have other ideas for it.
I had the same thinking about this junction. However, I heard (not from a credible source) that they initially had plans to extend the underpass and they encountered a huge rock which made them to end the underpass before the junction. Not sure whether they reduced the allocated fund for this project if the story is true.

Quote:
The latest in the list is the double decker road/metro till silk board, I mean who told them ending the flyover right before the junction will ease traffic ?
As per the plan, the elevated road will end after the junction. More on this: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...7.cms?from=mdr
madhukarmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I often take that stretch, and that stretch has been a bottleneck. By itself, a flyover will be very helpful there. However, two points:

1. The newly proposed metro and these were planned separately, and hence lack cohesion.
2. The main reason for the traffic pile-up is the traffic that cuts across the Ring road. While the flyover will ease traffic at the junction, the cross-traffic is in narrow roads in both directions, and there will be no solution to this.

While on this topic, the other places we have problems are the two junctions further east:

Kadirenahalli / Indian Institute of Rock Mechanics,
Sarakki signal.

Kadirenahalli under-pass should have been lengthened during initial construction, which would have made that spot signal-free, However only one end has a path for crossing traffic. This is one glaring mistake of a under-pass.

Sarakki signal is a different story with almost no solution in sight except may be demolishing some buildings on both sides of the road leading to the junction :(
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In my opinion, this flyover will ease the traffic flow especially from Banashankari side. During peak hours and rains, the traffic backs up almost till PES college. On the Nayandalli side, I have seen traffic backup for almost 500 meters. The main problem is not vehicles going straight on the ORR. It is those who want to take a left/right turn at the signal that cause the backup due to narrow road and higher volume of vehicles wanting to take left/right.
You are correct on the traffic congestion at this junction especially during peak hours and rain. However, I feel that they could have made use of the deserted clover leaf interchange which is just next to the junction to solve this problem with minor alterations.

Quote:
Until the Katriguppe signal is also bypassed with a flyover or underpass, all that is going to happen is shift the traffic jam further down the road.
True! There is a proposal to build Road cum Rail flyover in some parts of this stretch as part of JP Nagar - Hebbal Metro Line.
Old 6th July 2023, 13:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I don’t really know the specifics of this particular road, but land acquisition is a huge pain for such projects. It may not look like much, but, if there is a dispute it can potentially derail a lot of good projects.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 14:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
It is becoming more apparent that a lot of road infra projects in Bangalore have been started with absolutely no real end-goal in mind, except to make money for the politicians and contractors involved.
Bangalore is blessed with superb weather and makes for a great lifestyle provided one is able to brave the perpetual accursed traffic and infra woes. Or simply avoid them altogether by minimizing one’s ‘going out’.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 15:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukarmohan View Post
You are correct on the traffic congestion at this junction especially during peak hours and rain. However, I feel that they could have made use of the deserted clover leaf interchange which is just next to the junction to solve this problem with minor alterations.
The cloverleaf interchange being on NICE road property could be a bottleneck. Also, I believe altering the cloverleaf interchange would mess up the traffic flow. The solid black line you have shown in your schematic is on a disputed land. Actually, NICE wanted an entry point after the Byatarayanapura police station stretch and hence that land was bought and road also constructed. But it ran into politico-legal troubles due to animosity between the NICE owner and a well known local politician. If that entrance gets commissioned, then a lot of traffic turning the left on ORR at the Nayandahalli junction would be reduced.

However, I did not understand how the dotted black line in your schema will work and help the cause of traffic flow.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th July 2023 at 20:07. Reason: typos
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 15:34   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Bangalore is blessed with superb weather and makes for a great lifestyle provided one is able to brave the perpetual accursed traffic and infra woes.
Tell me about it! I use the metro twice a week to go to Cubbon Park in the morning, and it's like heaven, hill-station like in this weather...till 8:30 am and the gates open for traffic! Weekends are also great because traffic is not allowed inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Or simply avoid them altogether by minimizing one’s ‘going out’.
Metro, sir Metro. Of course the network has pathetic coverage right now, worse last-mile connectivity, and it won't work for everyone. But I've started designing my life around the Metro- minimizing going anywhere I have to drive and going to places only near a Metro station. Again, won't work for everyone, but for me, I'm a lot happier without driving or riding in our beautiful city!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 16:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The coverleaf interchange being on NICE road property could be a bottleneck. Also, I believe altering the coverleaf interchange would mess up the traffic flow. The solid black line you have shown in your schematic is on a disputed land. Actually, NICE wanted an entry point after the Byatarayanapura police station stretch and hence that land was bought and road also constructed. But it ran into politico-legal troubles due to animosity between the NICE owner and a well known local politician. If that entrance gets commissioned, then a lot of traffic turning the left on ORR at the Nayandalli junction would be reduced.
Thanks for this information! I expected something like this is hindering the plan.

Quote:
However, I did not understand how the dotted black line in your schema will work and help the cause of traffic flow.
That is the current path used and the traffic congestion has reduced than before. But I agree to your point that it is not feasible. May be an exit in the clover leaf to connect this road is an ideal option provided there are minimum hurdles for the land acquisition (They just have to remove the compound of NICE for less than 100 feet).

Also, NICE should have been a bit supportive to the projects like this one instead of thinking only about inflating toll charges. As usual, people suffer the most when there is a tussle between NICE and the Government.
Old 6th July 2023, 17:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

IIRC on west of chord road between Rajajinagar Industrial Estate (SBI signal) and Warriar bakery there exists a flyover between 2 signals. It may be between Rajajinagar metro and Sub station, can anyone confirm?

I remember seeing this under construction flyover and was really wondering why is there a flyover between 2 signals, no intersection. It was something weird, can someone vouch for this.
Old 6th July 2023, 19:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
IIRC on west of chord road between Rajajinagar Industrial Estate (SBI signal) and Warriar bakery there exists a flyover between 2 signals. It may be between Rajajinagar metro and Sub station, can anyone confirm?
When coming from Rajajinagar Metro towards Magadi road junction:
The completed one starts near the church /end of the BESCOM compound, and then crosses the next two signals including the Warrier bakery signal, and has a dip just near the National School signal. The section in front of Industrial estate is incomplete.

The dip that I mentioned allows vehicles to exit the flyover if they want to towards Basaveshwar Nagar (Havanur circle side), etc. And on other side, also enter

Last edited by condor : 6th July 2023 at 19:34.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed