Yayy! 15 7.54%
Oh No! 162 81.41%
Indifferent 17 8.54%
Others 5 2.51%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2023, 20:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Jessore Road, WB: Supreme Court orders cutting down of century-old trees to build a highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I think you missed the sarcasm in Samba's post.
I did not understand the sarcasm. I apologize to the commentator.

It is something that we had no use for in the 37 years that I spent in service. Our conversations were always direct and to the point. Sarcasm was a luxury only civilians could spend time on.
J2022 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 13:31   #32
BHPian

Re: Jessore Road, WB: Supreme Court orders cutting down of century-old trees to build a highway

Just drove today through Jessore Road that connects Kolkata to Bangladesh.
My native place is near the border area, in a village close to a town called Bangaon. Earlier I used to drive on this road at least once every month.
But this is me driving on this road after almost 2 years; could not drive earlier since I was busy with my studies

This video gives a glimpse of the road. Saddened to learn all these trees will be cleared for the proposed 4 lane expansion
ron82x3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 15:34   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Trees On The Jessore Road
Attachment 2454290
If these are the trees that are being cut, then it is very disappointing. You don’t get such trees everywhere. More generally, trees are renewable resources, so cutting them down to widen roads and planting more trees to compensate makes sense - smoother traffic leads to less pollution leaving aside the benefits to road users.

Isn’t there an alternate alignment possible?

But agree this needs to be a political decision - the Supreme Court should not have even taken up a case involving trees in a particular stretch of road.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 08:29   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
Our conversations were always direct and to the point. Sarcasm was a luxury only civilians could spend time on.
Well, considering that the original post was from a widely respected D-BHPian and thanked 60 times, I’d say welcome to the civilian world .

Samba’s post was spot-on in my humble opinion.

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th May 2023 at 08:30.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks