Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Solution to India's excessive honking problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Drastic problems need drastic solutions. Drastic problem here = Chaotic roads. Drastic( er..) solution here is to honk. It serves a purpose.
And does honking improve the chaos?

Out of curiosity, do you find people responding to honking and moving out of the way? I see almost everyone ignoring the honking on city roads, since everyone honks for everything. Most of the time I don't see pedestrians stop crossing the road at random irrespective of whether the car/bike honks or not. (The only vehicle that gets respect is a bus!) So might as well not honk and remove one major irritant. So not sure how honking helps really.

Personally, I don't find my drive/ride on Bangalore's roads getting any faster or safer whether I honk or not. So I might as well not. (On the highway, yes, that's a different matter.)

Last edited by am1m : 2nd May 2023 at 14:10.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is intended to be in a lighter vein. Making the disclaimer at the outset lest it offends someone.

I read this many years ago. In 1997 or 1998 or so.
It was an email forward then. It landed up via whatsapp recently. And it is absolutely as relevant even now just as it was then, just as the brillant three pages of ligne claire drawings by Herge which are also attached here, are.

====

This humourous article was written by an NRI.

For the benefit of every Tom, Dick and Harry visiting India and daring to drive on Indian roads, I am offering a few hints for survival. They are applicable to every place in India except Bihar, where life outside a vehicle is only marginally safer.

Indian road rules broadly operate within the domain of karma where you do your best, and leave the results to your insurance company. The hints are as follows:

Do we drive on the left or right of the road?

The answer is "both". Basically you start on the left of the road, unless it is occupied. In that case, go to the right, unless that is also occupied. Then proceed by occupying the next available gap, as in chess. Just trust your instincts, ascertain the direction, and proceed. Adherence to road rules leads to much misery and occasional fatality. Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the intended direction. Don't you get discouraged or underestimate yourself except for a belief in reincarnation, the other drivers are not in any better position.

Don't stop at pedestrian crossings just because some fool wants to cross the road. You may do so only if you enjoy being bumped in the back. Pedestrians have been strictly instructed to cross only when traffic is moving slowly or has come to a dead stop because some minister is in town. Still some idiot may try to wade across, but then, let us not talk ill of the dead.

Blowing your horn is not a sign of protest as in some countries. We horn to express joy, resentment, frustration, romance and bare lust (two brisk blasts), or, just mobilize a dozing cow in the middle of the bazaar.

Keep informative books in the glove compartment. You may read them during traffic jams, while awaiting the chief minister's motorcade, or waiting for the rainwaters to recede when over ground traffic meets underground drainage.

Occasionally you might see what looks like a UFO with blinking colored lights and weird sounds emanating from within. This is an illuminated bus, full of happy pilgrims singing bhajans. These pilgrims go at breakneck speed, seeking contact with the Almighty, often meeting with success.

Auto Rickshaw (Baby Taxi): The result of a collision between a rickshaw and an automobile, this three-wheeled vehicle works on an external combustion engine that runs on a mixture of kerosene oil and creosote. This triangular vehicle carries iron rods, gas cylinders or passengers three times its weight and dimension, at an unspecified fare. After careful geometric calculations, children are folded and packed into these auto rickshaws until some children in the periphery are not in contact with the vehicle at all. Then their school bags are pushed into the microscopic gaps all round so those minor collisions with other vehicles on the road cause no permanent damage. Of course, the peripheral children are charged half the fare and also learn Newton's laws of motion en route to school. Auto-rickshaw drivers follow the road rules depicted in the film Ben Hur, and are licensed to irritate.

Mopeds: The moped looks like an oil tin on wheels and makes noise like an electric shaver. It runs 30 miles on a teaspoon of petrol and travels at break-bottom speed. As the sides of the road are too rough for a ride, the moped drivers tend to drive in the middle of the road; they would rather drive under heavier vehicles instead of around them and are often "mopped" off the tarmac.

Leaning Tower of Passes: Most bus passengers are given free passes and during rush hours, there is absolute mayhem. There are passengers hanging off other passengers, who in turn hang off the railings and the overloaded bus leans dangerously, defying laws of gravity but obeying laws of surface tension. As drivers get paid for overload (so many Rupees per kg of passenger), no questions are ever asked. Steer clear of these buses by a width of three passengers.

One-way Street: These boards are put up by traffic people to add jest in their otherwise drab lives. Don't stick to the literal meaning and proceed in one direction. In metaphysical terms, it means that you cannot proceed in two directions at once. So drive, as you like, in reverse throughout, if you are the fussy type. Least I sound hypercritical; I must add a positive point also. Rash and fast driving in residential areas has been prevented by providing a "speed breaker"; two for each house.

This mound, incidentally, covers the water and drainage pipes for that residence and is left untarred for easy identification by the corporation authorities, should they want to recover the pipe for year-end accounting.

Night driving on Indian roads can be an exhilarating experience (for those with the mental makeup of Genghis Khan). In a way, it is like playing Russian roulette, because you do not know who amongst the drivers is loaded. What looks like premature dawn on the horizon turns out to be a truck attempting a speed record. On encountering it, just pull partly into the field adjoining the road until the phenomenon passes. Our roads do not have shoulders, but occasional boulders. Do not blink your lights expecting reciprocation. The only dim thing in the truck is the driver, and with the peg of illicit arrack (alcohol) he has had at the last stop, his total cerebral functions add up to little more than a naught. Truck drivers are the James Bonds of India, and are licensed to kill. Often you may encounter a single powerful beam of light about six feet above the ground. This is not a super motorbike, but a truck approaching you with a single light on, usually the left one. It could be the right one, but never get too close to investigate. You may prove your point posthumously. Of course, all this occurs at night, on the trunk roads. During the daytime, trucks are more visible, except that the drivers will never show any Signal. (And you must watch for the absent signals; they are the greater threat). Only, you will often observe that the cleaner who sits next to the driver, will project his hand and wave hysterically.

This is definitely not to be construed as a signal for a left turn. The waving is just a statement of physical relief on a hot day.

If, after all this, you still want to drive in India, have your lessons between 11 pm and 7 am-when the police have gone home and The Citizen is then free to enjoy the *freedom of speed* enshrined in our constitution.
===
Attached Thumbnails
Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_0626.jpeg  

Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_0625.jpeg  

Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_0627.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd May 2023 at 14:31.
shankar.balan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 15:47   #18
BHPian

Just the other day, was pondering over how to lodge a PIL seeking 2 things:
* Limit the max decibel level of vehicle horns - OEM or aftermarket accessory
* Ban temporary-blindness-inducing & brain-piercing LED headlights now coming as OEM fitment on most 2/4 wheelers.

Since "educating" our society is tougher than colonising Mars, no hopes on that front.

Further, since we as a society are fond of anything LOUD- sounds/flashy dresses/home decor/cars/bikes/whatever one can think of..., there's pitifully less chance of persons like me cursed with extra sensitivity to sounds/lights to thrive on our roads

Just to cite an example, nearly a decade back, in the CBD where heavy-trucks are forbidden during daytime, while riding my bike, encountered a large truck just behind me at a traffic signal. Once the red turned amber & just before turning green, the guy at wheel honked - and I literally jumped out of my skin! Felt like an explosion with sound no less than the green-colour Diwali-wali "atom bomb" going off. After that, have always tried to avoid these monster trucks.

Not sure if legal recourse will bring any solace or our system/milaards will even consider the plea of a mangoman like me, still, try one must, no!?

Personally, I honk hardly ever - a habit picked up after some stints at driving abroad. Most cases where people feel honking is necessary can be avoided if driven carefully, even if the other person isn't. Have always felt honking is a habit picked up due to lack of discipline, just as other driving habits like rushing/overspeeding/squeezing into non-existent spaces and 100's of others seen on our roads!

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 2nd May 2023 at 15:53. Reason: minor addition
KrisTvpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would rather debate from the opposite direction. Why do you think there is so much honking? It's the traffic that is not regulated, too narrow lanes, no proper markings, hawkers creating jams and finally too many vehicles on the roads. So, I'd not blame the one honking, rather would say there needs to be better infrastructure in place before we try to levy fines, make horn pads hard or whatever. Have you seen people honking mindlessly on expressways? They don't. The reason is less congestion, proper lanes and easy movement. If that is provided, honking will more go away. Of course, there are always people who use their horns beyond the limits but I believe it's a very important tool (rather weapon) on Indian roads.
Old 2nd May 2023, 17:00   #20
BHPian

I don't hear honking in my routes everyday. So cant really relate to it nor do I use it.

I usually do a small honk only at some intersections to warn. Abroad, they have STOP signs that help but here you need to do it differently.
Old 2nd May 2023, 17:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Why do you think there is so much honking? It's the traffic that is not regulated, too narrow lanes, no proper markings, hawkers creating jams and finally too many vehicles on the roads. I believe it's a very important tool (rather weapon) on Indian roads.
This morning at 0530hrs while walking my dog, I ventured onto a main road nearby.
And the first thing I heard first and saw later was a delivery person riding an activa at high speed with his hand glued to the horn. For the record, the road was absolutely deserted. There was no traffic other than this scooterist.

But in general, during the day that road is absolute chaos. Most people progress along it with their hands glued to the horn.

So again in a lighter vein. (Herge is my inspiration in everything. There is always something relevant and topical in his work.(The Calculus Affair and The Picaros))
Attached Thumbnails
Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_8136.jpeg  

Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_8137.jpeg  

Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_0443.jpeg  

Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_9062.jpeg  

Solution to India's excessive honking problem-img_0628.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd May 2023 at 17:05. Reason: Added cartoons
shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 00:01   #22
BHPian

I am deaf, blind, selectively brain-dead and a tax-payer.

Let me honk, flash lights, drive 'my way or the highway'.

Solution to India's excessive honking problem-gyaani.jpg

I am an educated, sabhya (civilised) and peace-loving Indian, till I wrap my fingers around a handlebar/steering wheel.

Instantly, I am transformed into a neanderthal, who eyes every other neanderthal as a mortal enemy.

Thank you for trying to bring me into the 21st century.
mygodbole is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 09:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of honking and egos, the movie Unhinged comes to mind

Back to our environments, I look at honking as a collision / emergency manoeuvre averting tool, sorry to say this. My honks are reserved for bad, drifting drivers (who wake up with a jerk upon my honk) or oblivious pedestrians attempting a rash crossing

If it has to be used, I would recommend a short 'toot' (or a courtesy tap) as opposed to a full honk (takes practice with one's horn button).

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 5th May 2023 at 09:39.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 10:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Personally, I honk hardly ever - a habit picked up after some stints at driving abroad. Most cases where people feel honking is necessary can be avoided if driven carefully, even if the other person isn't. Have always felt honking is a habit picked up due to lack of discipline, just as other driving habits like rushing/overspeeding/squeezing into non-existent spaces and 100's of others seen on our roads!
+100 on this. I couldn't fathom the thought of not honking on Indian roads a few years before. But then I started trying for it consciously and for the last few years I rarely ever honk whether it's in the bumper to bumper unruly traffic of Bangalore or whether it's the narrow highways in Kerala with frustrated drivers trying to overtake in the first available opportunity or the peaceful Hyderabad - Nagercoil highway. It's just about being extra sensitive to your fellow drivers regardless of their behaviour. I don't feel i became a slow driver because of this change in behaviour. My driving became more smooth and considerate. The compromise on time is negligible.

Last edited by amalji : 5th May 2023 at 10:33.
amalji is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 10:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I don't feel i became a slow driver because of this change in behaviour....The compromise on time is negligible.
Thanks for saying this! This is what the majority of us don't seem to realize- it makes absolutely no difference to the drive, honking on busy roads like Bangalore's. Forget being considerate or trying to reduce noise pollution (both are good things to aim for though), why continue to do something that's pointless?! If I honk to overtake and someone does give me way in Bangalore (rare!), I'm going to get stuck at the next jam/traffic light and the vehicle I overtook is going to be right behind me anyway. If I stop (from an already blistering 10kmph...ok, 18.7kmph (https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...0.cms?from=mdr) ) on Bangalore's roads to let pedestrians cross, how much do I really lose in time? Or does it make more sense to lean on the horn and have to stop anyway- because they decided to ignore me and cross anyway? And of course there's the very obvious - honking doesn't make a red light turn green any faster, and can I give the guy in front of me more than just 1 second to start moving when it does turn green, before I start using my favorite toy in the car, the horn!

As with everything else, trying something new, or changing a behavior, especially with something as ingrained as driving is going to be difficult. Most new drivers are told by existing drivers who are teaching them, that they have to honk, so they do, always.

Last edited by am1m : 5th May 2023 at 10:52.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Horn is a basic safety feature, especially in Indian conditions where ANYTHING can happen at any time.
Indeed from people to cows, we have anything and everything on our roads! not to mention the morons who ride/drive in the opposite way. Honking is a privilege/right that every motorist should use until things change for good. We try and compare our roads to Dubai or Singapore but our road disciple is 0.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Another option is to link it to the fuel consumption, again needs to be across manufacturers. Every press of a horn, somehow needs to consume some amount of fuel, and that will surely get people to think twice before pressing on that horn. Fines, harder to press or access all have workarounds to be avoided. Nothing else, probably will ever work except for a generational shift, that might happen 2 or 3 generations later.
What's your suggestion?
Install a valve in the fuel tank that drains, let's say, 50ml of fuel to the ground, everytime the horn is pressed.

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2023 at 11:26. Reason: Toning down
Govardhansupra is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th May 2023, 11:52   #28
BHPian

Four things can help to keep this in check:

1. Teach kids civic sense from an early age.

2. Driving instructors need to discourage learners from always pressing the horn for no reason. A simple tap of the horn is useful in most cases.

3. Driving tests should mark points for when to honk and when not to honk

4. Cops should penalise cars which honk too much, especially at traffic signals.

In my driving experience, I have seen simply tapping the horn is enough for 80% of the motorists to give way. For the other 20% comprising of people who think they are the only one on the road that day, an extended honking session becomes a necessity.

People are also unaware that excessive honking leads to hearing loss. Kolkata has a huge honking problem. I stood at an intersection and measured dB levels for half an hour. When the signal is red, its around 70dB. As soon as the signal turns green, drivers thinking honking is the equivalent of pushing people inside a crowded train. The dB jumps to 95-100, and then once it gets moving it drops down to 80-85. This is why I have found us Kolkata people to be always talking loudly even in quiet places, because our ears are accustomed to a loud ambient environment on the road.

Last edited by Avikbrio : 5th May 2023 at 11:59.
Avikbrio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:03   #29
BHPian

It goes much without saying that uncultured people driving cars, having no civic sense blare horns for no reasons. If one is driving through an area where every one from pedestrians to all vehicle drivers are breaking the basic rules then it goes without saying that one has to just see it through without honking. There’s no point honking at people who already are immune to the noise.
When living in a gated community, if proper mirrors are in place, areas are well lighted then there should be no reason to honk even once. This is a rule in many communities I believe.
In extreme cases, if a driver is on phone and steering control is losing then it’s better to honk and make him aware.
Excessive honking needs to be avoided to start with and should end with minimum or no honks per trip.
This process of self control will take time to achieve. Starting on the process the earlier the better.

I think this is almost impossible to enforce by law. Except honking in sensitive areas where it’s monitored. But otherwise it’s mostly self learning, being considerate and build civic sense.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:30   #30
BHPian

A most important lesson I learned during my education as a product designer - Never build solutions that discourage bad behaviour, build solutions that encourage good behaviour.

We have other reasons when honking is critical and need to be easy to access. We can blame everything on the lack of civic sense of the honk-er and the honkee (receiver). We need to improve it all around than just making honking difficult or penalising. Because that could result in a fatality as well.

Some people honk because they want to err on the side of caution - Once bitten, twice shy.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks