Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2024, 05:26   #61
BHPian

Re: Must-have features in Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
I just tried Google Maps with the suggested start location and destination, but I am not receiving any route closure messages like you are. However, there are some patches where road closures are indicated, such as one before Boppudi or somewhere near Tirupati Airport. I am not close to the given area, but according to Google Maps, you might encounter some road diversions on your journey.
Thanks for checking. I asked my wife to check in her phone and she initially also got the same info as you got. She tried it on the web and the route closure message came and she went to app, the route closure came again. Mine is iphone and my wife has android phone.

I rechecked again just now live after seeing your screenshot, I am also getting the same route closure.

I am enclosing the screenshot from my wife phone when checked just now.

I don’t know the reason why this is happening.
Attached Thumbnails
Must-have features in Google Maps-66612ed9b4aa45a588b2afa79e14a6e7.jpeg  

Last edited by Mystic : 25th July 2024 at 05:39.
Old 25th July 2024, 08:28   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Can someone explain the following situation.
I guess the diversions between Renigunta and Srikalahasti are too slow on short hauls like Tirupati to Srikalahasti, but are ok on a longer haul like Vijayawada.

The diversions are from the Naidupeta-Renigunta 4-laning.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 08:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone explain the following situation. The requirement is one has to drive from Tirupati to Vijayawada by the shortest route and shortest time.

1. Google maps says the route is closed. No other route available.

3. If one tries Tirupati to Vijayawada via Nellore, google maps says it is OK. How come the same route is closed as per google in 1st option?
When you did direct Tirupati to Vijayawada, Google noticed the road closure (shown in route as red circle with a white dash inside) and informed you about it. It would still be the shortest route, and Google is confident it can suggest a workaround/bypass to the closure when you reach there. Hence it doesn't check for an alternative from the starting point itself.

When you did Tirupati-Nellore-Vijayawada, Google only calculated the Tirupati-Nellore part. It has an idea how to go to Vijayawada from Nellore, but it has not done the complete calculation that takes into account current conditions. It will do that once you are ready to proceed from Nellore, and presumably at that time the road closure will come into play and alternatives will be suggested.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 12:05   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I guess the diversions between Renigunta and Srikalahasti are too slow on short hauls like Tirupati to Srikalahasti, but are ok on a longer haul like Vijayawada.

The diversions are from the Naidupeta-Renigunta 4-laning.
Thanks for your advise.

I travel on this road very frequently and have been seeing 4 lane road construction near naidupeta for a very long time. It was never a problem with slight deviations to the route. I am concerned when google maps says route closed as I am seeing this warning for the first time.

May be some bridge collapsed ( not sure if this is leading to closure) as per the following news article. Sometimes it is becoming hard to rely on google maps and take a risk as it gets random data about road closures from various sources.

At the end of the day, it is a free service by google maps, they are not obliged in any way if we have to turn back after driving for 2 hours.

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/sout...bridge-1810267

Last edited by Mystic : 25th July 2024 at 12:25.
Old 25th July 2024, 12:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is a free service by google maps
The information is crowd sourced. And the routing is shown based on that.

In 2019, I've seen similar warnings on NH4 for weeks after Panchaganga overflow. In reality, traffic was restored in 2-3 days max.

BTW the article you added is the Penna bridge on the north end of Nellore towards Sangam-Badvel.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 08:06   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Google Maps gets 6 new features in India, solves these 'most ..

Read more at:
http://m.timesofindia.com/articlesho...campaign=cppst

That ‘AI-powered’ narrow roads feature is especially needed for 4W drivers

I personally cannot count the number of muttered oaths against Google Maps followed by a steely look from the better half (kids in the car yada yada).

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th July 2024 at 08:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks