Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2023, 17:25   #286
BHPian

Re: Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai

Drove on the Samruddhi Mahamarg in my latest cross-country trip. Instead of risking getting stuck on the Chalisgaon road from Aurangabad to Dhule, took the Mahamarg from Aurangabad to Sinnar and hopped on to the AH, mostly so that I could drive on it. .

The trip also took us through the Agra-Lucknow Expressway couple of days later. Naturally, I cannot help but compare.

1. The ALE is in a different league. After driving on it, I felt the Mahamarg is too much advertisement and marketing. ALE is like the ORR of Hyderabad, when all of its lanes were good (currently only the 2 faster ones of ORR have that excellent surface). Simple reason: ALE has asphalt layer on top. That itself reduces noise so much apart from unevenness of concrete, that it makes the drive much more relaxing.

2. The ALE has concrete surface for 2 kms stretch that was specifically built for Aircraft landing. Even that surface is better than the concrete surface of the Mahamarg.

3. The Mahamarg has cheaper toll rates, by about 40p/ km. Considering that it connects several district towns of MH which otherwise did not have good connectivity, it can get more traffic compared to ALE which even after 6-7 years of existence did not seem to have too many vehicles.

If I had to rank the 6+ lane highways I have driven, the Mahamarg (ME-2) won't make it to my top 3:
1. Agra-Lucknow Expressway
2. Vijayawada-Nellore section of AH45
3. Tumkur-Hubbali section of AH47

We don't always need "access-controlled" highways for fast travel (only 1 out of 3 above is so). And without asphalt layer, no thumbs up from the Punto yet. For us, the road is not complete without that. Hope they add it soon.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 16th August 2023 at 17:28.
mayukh42 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 18:59   #287
BHPian

My recent 'Adventure Drive' on Samruddhi MahaMarg :

Recently I happened to visit Nagpur to attend a meeting and I preferred to take my Škoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG AT as usual alongwith 3 of my friends. It was obviously a 'no brainer' decision to opt for Octavia over my 4x4 Yeti for this 1850 kms road trip via Samruddhi Maha Marg.

Needless to say, a long drive on this newly built Samruddhi Maha Marg was on my bucket list since long. So it was just like a dream come true moment for me.

We left Sangli early in the morning via Solapur - Jalana route and opted to enter onto the SMM at Nidhona Inter Change and it was our blunder mistake as the expansion joint we followed was full of potholes and craters, in fact making it difficult for any SUVs and we had a low sitting Sedan at our service.

Here's a compilation of some of my raw observations, narrated in tit-bits.

1. Towards Nagpur (Daytime journey)-

• Enjoyed the obviously uncontrolled, spirited driving experience in general

• Traffic wasn't much through out the journey on SMM

• No doubt, it's an Engineering masterpiece of course, in comparison with our own standards. Some maintenance work is still going on at places and you may come across the support vehicles of the Construction company.

• One of the best parts I liked about the SMM is that all the Toll plazas are primarily located on the Expansion joints i.e. on the entry/ exit points of the SMM. Thus, once you enter onto the EW, apperantly you won't encounter any obstacle that eats out your driving time and pleasure.

• However there had been minor undulations observed frequently
(Much needed IMO, rather to put slight check on over-speeding)

• Once entered onto the EW, revving up the engine becomes new normal and so adequate precaution needs to be taken as you may come across stray dogs anytime either sitting, standing or chasing each other on the otherwise wide, clear and straight roads.

• Scarcity of petrol bunks en-route is a downer at least for now (at one stage we were almost out of fuel, somehow managed to reach a bunk with last few drops)

• Google Maps misguided us once to take an exit for a Petrol bunk which was actually located on the service road itself. Just imagine, even after a yr of commissioning, the details of the outlet aren't updated properly with Google/ Maps.

• Strangely, we didn't encounter any interceptor SpeedCam however at the Final Exit point the toll booth attendant promptly cautioned us strictly to follow speed restrictions and not to overspeed sighting our entry/ exit timings.

• In fact, the very instance when the registration number of our car was captured in their system, a red alert light flashed along with a loud honk to vindicate our over speeding offence.

• Here, I can't disclose the drive data especially figures related to speed/ acceleration on any public forum.

• One intersting info I came to know is that if an over speeding vehicle is caught by an interceptor car at the toll plaza, the RTO officer immediately stops it and instead of imposing any monitory fines, doesn't allow to proceed further, holding it there at least for half to one hr depending upon the gravity of violation.

This could really be a practical yet highly effective kinda solution to monitor and tackle the over speeding cases, I guess.

2. Returning from Nagpur (Night time journey)-

• While driving back home, we deliberately preferred taking on overnight journey just to experience the difference and a part of our 'adventure' also.

• And yes, I do agree it's entirely a different story if compared to the unbelievably spirited driving in daytime.

• Literally too much use of vibrant Radium strips everywhere- on signages, lane margins, protective metal fencing etc has overkilled the purpose of safety precautions.

• And to spoil the things even more, the color theme of the Radium selected is illogical and horrible. The eyes get extra-strained while continuously negotiating the bright reflections that resemble LEDs only and focusing to identify the vehicles moving ahead becomes even more difficult.

• That's why I sense, this could be one of the major reasons behind the accidents observed on SMM during night time.

• Quite surprisingly, Truckers & Heavy vehicles use to observe lane discipline judiciously and also maintain normal speeds but they lack on any visible tale lights/ radium strips.

• Even at the stipulated speed of 100-120 kmpl, you need to focus strictly on the almost 'invisible' surprises moving ahead in moderate speed.

• Keeping reasonably safe distance from the heavy vehicles moving ahead needs to be strictly followed so as to avoid being hit suddenly by UFOs like rubber shreds especially from the remoulded tyres etc

• Usually you won't expect any intruders during late night drives on otherwise well protected/ fenced highways but still we came across 2 dogs crossing the entire width of SMM.

• To negotiate any such threats and surprises, a fully alert navigator in the passenger seat is always MUST for night driving on SMM.

• The menace of petrol bunk scarcity en-route continues on the other side also. While searching for a bunk, better to stay on SMM itself is advisable rather than just following the instructions in Google Maps.

• After some horrifying hrs of night driving on SMM, our journey on the Jalana - Solapur - Miraj stretch out of the Aurangabad - Ratnagiri highway was much easier task and finally the 1850 kms 'l o o ong' drive ended on a SAFE note at 4.30 am.

Statutory Warning :
A perfect combination of 'Man & Machine' is required to take on challenges on Indian Roads.
And failing to upkeep any factor to the best possible condition may invite an untoward mishap anytime.

Finally, enjoy some pics we captured randomly en-route.

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230823121744.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230823121754.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230823121636.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230823122926.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230823123912.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230823123212.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230823124726.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img_20230823_170043.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img_20230825_081758.jpg

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230825wa012901.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2023 at 02:30. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 20:58   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Samruddhi Mahamarg has seen 729 accidents in the past seven months and 83 of them have happened due to cattle and other animals. Due to the animal triggered accidents 21 people lost their lives. 66 of these accidents did not cause any injuries to vehicle occupants. Despite there being 9 overpasses or green bridges snd 17 underpasses, wild bears still stray into the E-way. A total of 242 accidents were caused due to driver fatigue or sleepiness. The state police has proposed to procure 24 additional patrol vehicles and tow trucks.

These figures were revealed by Dr Ravinder Singhal, Addl DG, Police (Traffic), Maharashtra yesterday.

Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-nagpur-city-line_20230826-1.jpeg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 14:22   #289
BHPian

Hi all,
Once again it's time to hit the SamruddhiMahaMarg on a new Adventure Drive of about 2.5 k kms. This time I've opted to rest my Octavia & would be taking the Yeti Elegance in stead.

Why Yeti over Octavia on such a long drive?

• The entire journey is planned over 4 days, so there won't be any need of continuous spirited driving.

• We are accompanying with a 20 seater bus, so staying connected with it would be our priority and the bus has a speed governor set at 80 kmph.

• I've recently got all the tyres of my Yeti changed to Yokohama Earth-1 and would obviously like to test those on different road conditions.

• Most importantly, there won't be any issue to exchange the Driver's seat of the Yeti with somebody else. I usually don't prefer to share the steering wheel of my Octavia AT with others.

• Finally, we'll be happy making some all essential savings on the fuel expenses.

Let's Explore !

SnowMan aka LittleBigFoot ready to embark on the drive:
Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai-img20230907062156.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2023 at 02:30. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 21:47   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzen7@5800u View Post
Travelled on the Samruddhi Expressway for the first time today. We covered the 58.2km distance from the Interchange 4 at Wardha and Interchange 1 at Nagpur in 49.6 minutes, resulting in an average speed of 70.4 km/h. Speeds on the speedo was kept between 80-90.
I have planned to travel on Samruddhi Expressway from Sinnar to Akola in my Dzire Zdi with family. What all things should I keep in mind while traveling. Please guide.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2023 at 02:31. Reason: Quote trimmed. Don't quote large posts entirely. Typo fixed.
Old 12th September 2023, 21:42   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralholic View Post
I have planned to travel on Samruddhi Expressway from Sinnar to Akola in my Dzire Zdi with family. What all things should I keep in mind while traveling. Pls guide
Best of luck for the trip! In my (non-expert and very amateur) view, the primary thing is to ensure that the running gear of the car (tyres, wheels, suspension, brakes, steering) are in good shape.
No matter the temptation, stick to a speed under the speed limit, and stay in a middle lane.
Be aware of possible highway hypnosis, and stop if you feel drowsy/fixated - but I don't know the status of rest halts on the expressway.. maybe getting off at an interchange and then getting back on again? Also, the front passenger must stay awake and vigilant, to act as a "co-driver" - it has helped us in our road trips.

Have a safe and good journey!
ryzen7@5800u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 18:59   #292

Hi All

I intend to travel to Nagpur from Mumbai in 1st week of October. Wanted to have the information about the petrol pumps and toilets along the Samruddhi Mahamarg once we enter the highway

Thanks in advance
Old 20th September 2023, 21:48   #293
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashar View Post
I intend to travel to Nagpur from Mumbai in 1st week of October. Wanted to have the information about the petrol pumps and toilets along the Samruddhi Mahamarg once we enter the highway.
After Igatpuri, you have two petrol pumps before you hit the toll but not very clean. After the toll, around 80 kms, you have the first petrol pump with decent washroom. You have atleast 3-4 pumps on your side of the highway which are on the highway. Other than that, one can also take local exits and then join the highway again. For example, I exited at Wardha (after asking locals working on the road), went around a km off the highway to fuel up and rejoined highway again after a break.

Overall, the toilets are not clean as compared to options that we typically associate with expressways.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2023 at 02:31. Reason: Quote trimmed.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 19:49   #294
BHPian

Hi,
We are planning to travel from Bangalore to Samruddhi Mahamarg.

Plan is to travel Bangalore-Aurangabad-Nagpur-HYD-Bangalore this month.

Anyone travelled this route recently?
Planning to use a Sedan, so worried about the road surface.

Any inputs appreciated.
Old 23rd September 2023, 02:20   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Did the Thane>Jabalpur>Bandhavgarh stretch on 25th May following is the review.
Planning the exact same trip - Thane - Jabalpur - Bandhavgarh - Nagpur - Thane.

Can you share a little more on how much time it took for the various segments - will help me plan the trip better.

And where do you suggest I fuel up? I plan to fuel up at BP Padgha (COCO) on the way out, and then again fuel at the BP pump on the expressway near Nagpur; or are there fuel pumps in between - what would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2023 at 02:33. Reason: Quote fixed. Post fixed - dots & dashes removed.
Old 23rd September 2023, 10:09   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prad View Post
Planning the exact same trip - Thane - Jabalpur - Bandhavgarh - Nagpur - Thane.

Can you share a little more on how much time it took for the various segments - will help me plan the trip better.

And where do you suggest I fuel up? I plan to fuel up at BP Padgha (COCO) on the way out, and then again fuel at the BP pump on the expressway near Nagpur; or are there fuel pumps in between - what would you recommend?

Thanks!!
Hey!

When do you plan this trip? We went in the month of May when the Bharvir section was not opened and had fueled up just before the Start of the SMM. I am unsure of the fuel pumps before the Bharvir section, but best to have a full tank before you get On and post that you have fuel stops along the highway. A cousin of mine is travelling on the SMM next week, will ask him for the start point co-ordinates.

Ideal time to start from Thane would be 4 am so that you skip the city traffic, expect congestion till you cross the Kalyan Bhiwandi stretch, and 4 hours to the start point of SMM is decent time. Post that 5 hours to cross the SMM is easily possible. Look for lunch options on exiting the SMM towards Jabalpur (Not many), else you can have lunch at Villa 44 which is 90 kms (1h 30 mins) from the Nagpur exit. Reaching Jabalpur the same evening is easily doable as the highway is brilliant. You can have an early breakfast and move onwards from JBP to Bandhavgarh so that you can reach by 11 am, the last hour once inside the forest is slow moving due to bad and narrow roads.

For the return journey, since we left in the afternoon, Nagpur was our night halt. In case you can leave earlier, you can cover the SMM the same day and stay at Nashik. Once you mention the travel dates, will advice on the halts and timelines.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 01:27   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hey!

When do you plan this trip? ...... A cousin of mine is travelling on the SMM next week, will ask him for the start point co-ordinates........

Once you mention the travel dates, will advice on the halts and timelines.
Am planning to travel the next week too!

I see there is a BPCL Pump on the way to Nagpur - about 440 Kms from BP Padgha where I expect to fill up, and another about 700Kms, very close to Nagpur.

The news about pumps running out of fuel is what is playing on my mind!!
Old 26th September 2023, 11:13   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I see there is a BPCL Pump on the way to Nagpur - about 440 Kms from BP Padgha where I expect to fill up, and another about 700Kms, very close to Nagpur.

The news about pumps running out of fuel is what is playing on my mind!!
Unable to get proper updates on the pumps status. But a known person mentioned that the sector beyond Bharvir is also open now. So hoping you will update on the status soon.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:20   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do update on your trip, my cousin got stuck big time in the Bhiwandi Kalyan stretch traffic.
Old 8th October 2023, 09:27   #300

I travelled to Akola last week from Nashik and took Samruddhi Expressway. The ride was fabulous cruising at 100 Km/h. We completed the journey in 5:30 hrs flat no stop. The highway is still underused perhaps better connectivity with Thane in coming days will lead to surge in traffic. Fuel Pumps have come up, toilets are a major concern. The stretch after Jalna sees a lot of dogs trolling on the highway so just watch out. Rest the highway is good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks