Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2022, 13:15   #16
BHPian

Re: How old businesses suffer when new highways, bypasses & flyovers are made

There are two kinds of travellers. One get from place A to B, the other gets on the road to enjoy whatever it brings. The sudden appearance of a lake, small tea stall, sit and chat with locals discuss the road ahead with a trucker or two.
I have been a Roadie since 1970 when I got my Fiat 1100. First trip delhi kolkata. Along the old GT road all the way. Took 2 and half days. I have done it just before Covid in a Tiguan along the fancy NH still took 2 and half days plus. But missed all the Dhabas and tree covered stretches.
The food courts on all new roads are soulless and crowded with people in a hurry jumping queues at the cashiers.

If you travel in USA either you do freeways and go to sleep in boredom , or take the old roads no tolls lots of interesting places to see or stop.

Both group of people have their points.

I being an old man is more fond of driving for driving sake.

First time Baroda Ahmedabad NE 1 drive was very nice clean toilets McDonald's burgers.
Now I do the old NH8 route as much as I can.

Let their be progress. But keep the old roads in good condition so people can use that also.
See UK USA most of Europe
Amukherjea is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 15:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

There's also insane politics over such things. Eg. when a flyover in Pune was being commissioned, the exit ramp was deliberately planned just after a very popular mall - rumoured because a deal wasn't reached. Positioning, alignment and several such parameters can often be influenced, and not necessarily be the most optimum / efficient.
There are several similar rumours about the Gandhipuram Flyover in Coimbatore. It is said that initially the two flyovers criss-crossing each other were to be connected but at the behest of a business that operates in the area, they were made separate. I've also heard about similar things about the highways near Salem.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 15:12   #18
RGK
Senior - BHPian

On freshly constructed highways, the government should provide a clear regulation defining commercial and residential zones and giving preferred location to proprietors of already-established enterprises (restaurants, shops, etc.).

To save time and maintain driving regularity, we travellers also prefer to take the highway rather than enter a town.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 15:25   #19
BANNED

What if the business grows so big that it can influence civil construction?

My guess is this is what happened with Rao hotel on NH8 between Dharuhera and Gurgaon.

In the below image, I have marked the location of Rao hotel. The simple logic says that make a flyover where the traffic from Bhiwadi merges with the highway.
How old businesses suffer when new highways, bypasses & flyovers are made-rao-hotel.jpg

Click to open zoomed in screenshot- Attachment 2370078

A little north of the eatery along the highway is GAIL office. That's where we got the highway some 4-5 years ago. As you can guess, it never helped with the traffic situation. Now, a new flyover is under construction as marked by the curved, thick black arrow line.

Surprisingly, even this flyover doesn't seem to skip the business and in fact lands right at the restaurant's doorstep.

If that's not influence, I don't know what is.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 19th October 2022 at 15:28.
MaheshY1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 18:32   #20
BHPian

Well, what the OP mentioned happens a lot these days especially with all the new bypasses that are coming up. In Bengal, one of my preferred stopover points on a trip from Cal to Darjeeling is Raiganj. The current road goes through Raiganj town and it is congested in places and also has a manned level crossing which can throw a planned schedule haywire. However, as a night halt it is convenient as it is about a 10-12 hour drive from Cal and it takes about 6 hours to reach Darjeeling from there. Plus there are two decent stay options right on the main road - the WBTDC lodge and Hotel Badsha. Out of these, the WBTDC lodge is mostly used by people like me who need a stopover on their way to the hills of North Bengal.

The last time I went, work on the Raiganj Bypass was on in full swing, so it is only a matter of time before the WBTDC lodge becomes irrelevant. Hotel Badsha might still survive since its restaurant is popular and it is a decent option for a stay for visitors to Raiganj.
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
While I do feel sorry for the restaurant workers, feel relieved about not having such crowded restaurants en route on highways. The tatte idly places in particular used to cause bottlenecks because of the crowds and lack of parking. Often idiots would park right on the highway. Not to mention their idiotic practice of getting their security staff to wave people in, even with a red light stick/wand at night. Very distracting to see someone in uniform waving a red light on the highway at night, and that's not even an official/cop! The kamats restaurant is another menace with idiots reversing out in to the highway when they are done with their meal.

There should be designated food stops, off the highways, with well-designed entry/exits. But yes, again, do feel sorry for the workers of these restaurants. It's highly unlikely that the same small restaurants will get a chance to setup an outlet at these food courts, it'll be mostly franchise fast-food chains.
Totally agree with your point. Though I feel sorry for livelihoods of staff (and I pray that they get another job soon) but I do not have any sympathy for owners. Over time these businesses become mafia, with complete disregard for any rule whatsoever. They intentionally do not keep any place for parking to use max land for construction. These security guards at times come right in front of your car if you are driving in left most lane.

As far as business is concerned, as GTO mentioned this is like a cycle of life. Someone's loss is another person's gain. Many businesses have adapted to such changes and many have not. Resilient and innovative business survived even COVID, so that says something about power to change along with change.
Old 19th October 2022, 20:15   #22
BANNED

For the greater good of millions, a few thousands will suffer, and eventually overcome their problem by adapting to the new status-quo.

This has been the fundamental tenet of human progress. Otherwise we wouldn't have things like vaccination, heart/kidney/liver transplants, airbags, victorious armies emerging from wars etc. Even terrorists acknowledge this. So I don't know why this thread has this sense of pity and remorse when the overall checks and balances are pointing towards easier and more efficient transportation that will benefit millions of people. It's simply the way of the world.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 20:36   #23
BHPian

History is full of examples where ancient trade routes changed lives and established new cities. Romans were the ones who built great roads which connected many cities. In US, highways killed big railways and brought other towns in limelight. In India, have seen many railway stations closing and new ones coming up. Cochin harbour station lost its connection to Ernakulam junction. Lakhpat is another example where the river changing course brought an end to a famous port city. Bypasses are becoming the norm now.They have also transformed lives of many. Adaptation is the only answer. They say change is permanent and the earlier we accept the better.

Last edited by sukhbirST : 19th October 2022 at 20:38.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 20:48   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
This has been the fundamental tenet of human progress.

So I don't know why this thread has this sense of pity and remorse
My friend once bought a car lovingly and nursed many dreams with it. And then abruptly, he said that it's gone. I was shocked.

Then he told me his life's story - his dad used to run a huge modern supermarket in Chennai. A flyover came right in front of it and they had to shut shop. Their debts run deep even today - years after his father had passed away. My friend had to get a corporate job hurriedly just to repay debts. He is at a designation that college freshers typically work at - for reference.

And his family's lenders drop in anyday as and when they wish to, in order to recoup their loans from him. That's how one of them took a fancy to my friend's new car. He had to sign over the papers to it, no questions asked.

I do look upon him with pity. It's like he can't catch a break. He keeps servicing all the loans out there and the loans keep growing, but he cannot dare to dream of a better life.

Perhaps he shouldn't have bought a car when he has outstanding loans to pay off...but when will he even get to listen to his heart? What does life portend for him? Hence my pity. It's all because of a flyover.

Last edited by locusjag : 19th October 2022 at 20:49.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 21:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post
Yesterday, we thought, why not drive on the new highway and go to Bidadi. So we started. I was not able to really figure out where we have reached, highway was smooth, and it goes on without any exit or entry.

When I crossed a bridge, I noticed the WonderLa ride visible at a distance, so I realized we are going past Bidadi. After that my wife and I were desperately looking for a way to exit the highway.

We could not find any exit that is marked. But after driving for some time, we saw a break on the side fence and a road, something like an exit. We took it, we looked for the road that is the 'previous Mysore road' and drove back to Bidadi through the road that was completely damaged at many places.
I can completely relate to the situation you faced on the new Mysore road. The road has poorly marked exits and in many places the exits either haven't been commissioned or are blocked. It is a harrowing experience for a lot of drivers to figure out where to exit.

Coming to businesses losing customers further to highway development, it is unfortunately a grim reality that is inevitable. The old school pleasure of seeing shops and establishments along the road while traveling is lost once an 8 lane highway gets operational. The very 'characteristic' nature of the road with it's landmarks vanishes, to be replaced by the monotony of roads with guard rails throughout. Everything in life however comes at the cost of something and this is no exception. We trade the color and character for speed and time.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th October 2022 at 12:46. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 19th October 2022, 22:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
Let their be progress. But keep the old roads in good condition so people can use that also.
Agree 100%.

This new road is a partial greenfield project. It weaves in and out of the old, and splits it into two 2-lane service roads wherever it weaves in. Service roads are intended to be two one way lanes on each side. In practice though, we will end up with two way traffic on both sides of the highway (locals will not drive 2 kms to the next underpass). I've already experienced this first hand on my recent trips to Ramanagara and Maddur from Bangalore. If you are not on the expressway, it is a pain to drive.
Old 19th October 2022, 23:04   #27
BHPian

Nice thread

During 90s and till very recently, there used to be only one decent place to eat in Khatuali on the Delhi-Haridwar road - Cheetal Grand. It served simple north Indian food while rest of the places on this road were good for nothing except for their chai-pakora.

Time changed and a new highway came up bypassing many towns on the old single lane road and Cheetal Grand found itself out of favor with big food chains and restaurants coming up on the new highway.

All was not doom and gloom when Cheetal Grand decided to come up with a fancy restaurant on the new Highway. Frequent travelers like me on this road already knew the brand and it did not take long for Cheetal Grand to restore its old glory despite having big names to compete against.

Now, that is a classic example of adapt rather than perish. Here is a pic from my recent stopover at their new restaurant:

How old businesses suffer when new highways, bypasses & flyovers are made-cheetal.jpg
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 23:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The Pune Mumbai route has several examples of businesses going belly up once the Expressway came up. The old Pune Mumbai highway was as notorious for breakdowns in the ghats, as it is famous for the weather, especially in the monsoon. Several businesses mushroomed due to this highway: right from eateries, to garages catering to burnt clutches to hotels. Now, they cut a sorry figure as only the odd vehicle will take the old highway vs. the EW. Kamath right under the Lonavala - Khandala ghat section had such crazy footfall that you'd have to wait for hours to get in, now; one section is kept unattended on most days.

As India rapidly builds up Expressways across the country, most of which are greenfield projects, and will be access controlled, this will be more pronounced.

There's also insane politics over such things. Eg. when a flyover in Pune was being commissioned, the exit ramp was deliberately planned just after a very popular mall - rumoured because a deal wasn't reached. Positioning, alignment and several such parameters can often be influenced, and not necessarily be the most optimum / efficient.
Was this the E=square flyover or the Kumar Pacific mall?
ronford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 06:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
On freshly constructed highways, the government should provide a clear regulation defining commercial and residential zones and giving preferred location to proprietors of already-established enterprises (restaurants, shops, etc.).

To save time and maintain driving regularity, we travellers also prefer to take the highway rather than enter a town.
Agreed. This will definitely help local economy. I hate to see same restaurants everywhere dishing similar tastes. Long drive is nothing without good local food. Most of us wouldn't mind a small detour for good food.
Old 22nd October 2022, 12:23   #30
BHPian

I drove Bangalore- Mysore last night and was discussing this very topic with my wife when we had a near miss!

It was about 10:15pm and as we were decending the flyover near Maddur near KFC/Empire restaurent when I had to panic brake to avoid an entire family who had parked their car on the left lane and we're scooting across 4 lanes of highway probably to get to KFC!! It was drizzling/roads were wet and my cruise control was set to 87kmph when I had to take evasive action. Thank god nothing untoward happened.

All of this great improvements in infrastructure is useless till we instill basic road sense and discipline to our citizenry!
Caadmara is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks