Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2022, 18:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Rumble strips (slightly raised bars upto an inch high on tarmac) are any day better than speed breakers (or speed mountains) or multiple tall speed breakers as seen on NH75.
If used in the same locations as the previous speed breakers where one needs to slow to a crawl , yes. A BHP-ian took the pain to count all the rumble strips on 10 km of tarmac and the number was 80. The problem with the rumble strips is their improper implementation. Imagine 80 speed breakers on a 10 km stretch! The rumble strips aim to perform the same purpose: a purpose which is flawed as an idea and one that needs to be binned. Otherwise I agree, rumble strips are better than speed breakers if the former replaces the latter in the same locations.
Quote:
Everywhere else in the world, there seem to be better ways to make the traffic slow down at the needed places either by enforcement, awareness, adherence to rules and so on.
Yes, we need Delhi style strict enforcement of reasonable speed limits here. They have been doing this in a few areas now though, specially in and around Gachibowli. The limit for divided roads is 60 km/h and 50 km/h for undivided ones. This is some much needed consistency.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 20:54   #32
BHPian

I know this post comes right after another made by me, but the time period for editing the previous one had elapsed, and this article came to my attention right now. It can be found in the search results when googling "hyderabad rumble strips".

https://techpotentialhub.com/rumble-...-to-motorists/
This website has blatantly copied the Team-BHP news article with a few words changed here and there. For example:
Quote:
Any vehicles plying right here have their suspension brutally assaulted on each single alternative. That is horrible and a few sense is required.
BHPian GForceEnjoyer just lately shared this with different fanatics.
This has been done to the entire article. The pictures still have the "Hosted on Team-BHP" watermark! This is straight up plagiarism isn't it? I did not know what exactly to do in this situation, so I decided to make this post right here. I've never heard of this website before either, this is something that desperately needs attention!

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 6th July 2022 at 20:58. Reason: Added info.
Old 16th July 2022, 15:39   #33
BHPian

I thought i was the only one that felt my Spark and now Scorpio move sideward on those strips, especially when you go fast on them. Bone jarring to say the least, especially the ones near Chandra layout and Jnanabharati bypass in Bengaluru until goruguntepalya.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 17:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
This website has blatantly copied the Team-BHP news article with a few words changed here and there.
I did not know what exactly to do in this situation, so I decided to make this post right here. I've never heard of this website before either, this is something that desperately needs attention!
Probably an "automated" site pulling details from other publications. The free Wordpress theme is pretty sloppily configured, probably in haste. The domain has been up since past month or so but has articles dating back decades.

Try writing to them first as mentioned on the site. The wording should give you another hint about how professional the setup is.

Quote:
If we Have added some content that belong to you or your organization by mistake, We are sorry for that. We apologize for that and assure you that this wont be repeated in future. If you are rightful owner of the content used in our Website, Please mail us with your Name, Organization Name, Contact Details, Copyright infringing URL and Copyright Proof (URL or Legal Document) at contact@techpotentialhub.com

I assure you that, I will remove the infringing content Within 48 Hours.
You can also write to the registrar and hosting provider. Don't know if it will help, but you can give it a shot. Their contact info should be available on their respective sites. Registrar details are also reflected in the registration records as seen here.

The domain points to an IP (82.180.167.147) that belongs to Hostinger (hosting provider).
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 17:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Try writing to them first as mentioned on the site. The wording should give you another hint about how professional the setup is.

You can also write to the registrar and hosting provider. Don't know if it will help, but you can give it a shot. Their contact info should be available on their respective sites. Registrar details are also reflected in the registration records as seen here.

The domain points to an IP (82.180.167.147) that belongs to Hostinger (hosting provider).
Thank you so much for all the details you provided. I wasn't very convinced by their entire setup, which definitely tells me how "professional" it is, so I'll decide soon. Thanks again.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 00:52   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0p View Post
When the bridge was first opened, it had strips at the start, end, and a few sets along the curve. I can't say if they caused the accident, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Because that was when rumble strips were being implemented and the sliding could catch you off guard the first time.
Are you talking about the red hatchback? A Polo GTI if I remember correctly? Infact there was a video posted sometime after the accident occurred not sure if it was on our forum or on whatsapp and the footage actually showed the view from behind of the car and you could clearly see it hop over the expansion joints or rumble strips or something that simply had no business being there mid corner.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 08:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Are you talking about the red hatchback? A Polo GTI if I remember correctly? Infact there was a video posted sometime after the accident occurred not sure if it was on our forum or on whatsapp and the footage actually showed the view from behind of the car and you could clearly see it hop over the expansion joints or rumble strips or something that simply had no business being there mid corner.

You're right, it does bounce on those strips and then is too fast and no grip to make that turn.
unoczar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 13:37   #38
BHPian

That accident is horrific! I hope the guy survived, may be not looking at how the car split upon hitting the ground. It doesn’t look like speeding, it lost traction after hitting the strips and bulldozed into the flyover wall and fell off.
Old 29th August 2022, 16:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
That accident is horrific! I hope the guy survived, may be not looking at how the car split upon hitting the ground. It doesn’t look like speeding, it lost traction after hitting the strips and bulldozed into the flyover wall and fell off.
The driver did survive the accident, but unfortunately killed a person on the ground. The strips probably weren't the only reason for the accident though. Speed was definitely a contributing factor, since I recall that the driver was clocked doing over 100 km/h. Then comes the pretty poor design of the curve on the flyover itself. All these factors contributed to this unfortunate event.

This is probably the cause of the explosion of rumble strips everywhere; if you were to drive on the flyover today, there are an absolute ton of rumble strips (types I haven't seen even in the rest of Hyderabad) and speed bumps approaching the curve and even after it. The speed of traffic is a crawl at all times to prevent such an event. Are these steps too extreme? That is a debate in itself. We avoid this flyover as much as possible.
Old 4th September 2022, 05:51   #40
BHPian

I've stopped taking that overpass completely. Late for office or no. I'm willing to wait a minute at the intersection than ruining my car.
unoczar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 18:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Citizens are finally taking up the cause, so is media. From todays TOI.
Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips-ftfogiracaazors.jpeg
ShortShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 15:25   #42
BHPian

Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips | Officials take notice

After the TOI article, KTR also tagged the GHMC to look into this matter after multiple Twitter posts. Hopefully we will get some relief in the near future.
Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips-ktr-rumble-strips-tweet.png

On a side note, is the picture in the tweet of the extension of Dallas Centre Road where it meets the old Mumbai Highway? Whatever it is, that looks like an absolute nightmare. People I know in real life are slowly getting more and more frustrated with these, and I'm also seeing stuff like this pop up on places like Reddit (not attaching a screenshot here).
Old 18th May 2023, 10:01   #43
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips | Officials take notice

Quote:
After the TOI article, KTR also tagged the GHMC to look into this matter after multiple Twitter posts. Hopefully we will get some relief in the near future.
Attachment 2451222
Good news everyone!
Hyderabad's excessive rumble strips, especially the ones higher than 5mm, are to be removed!!!!

LINK: Rumble Strips to go!
som9729 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 15:33   #44
BHPian

I wish that I was typing this post with news of the beginning of the removal of rumble strips. Sadly, the "promise" to remove the excessively high strips and to stop laying down more was totally false. The exact opposite is true. There have been three developments, and not one of them is for the better.
  • Cat-eyes infused with existing rumble strips: This is a double-edged sword. One one hand, it makes rumble strips easier to spot at night. On the other, it makes them feel even more harsh than before, which really is saying something. It's good from a visibility perspective, but then again, this is a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.
  • Rumble strips on the ORR: It breaks my heart to write this. Our one escape from the city roads (that would jump at every opportunity to rattle your skeleton and destroy your car), the one stretch of endless, smooth asphalt and the one place where you could use cruise control properly, has now been littered with rumble strips.

I fail to understand the need for these on the ORR (or most other roads for that matter, but that topic has been beaten to death already).
Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips-rumble-strip-orr.jpg

This comes mere days after the speed limit was raised to 120 km/h. The ORR is an EXPRESSWAY. The whole point of one is to enable commuters to cruise at constant speeds. I can see many accidents happening due to some people slamming on the brakes at 120 km/h while others behind them don't, ending up getting rear ended by others at highway speeds. Either that or everyone will just end up being forced to drive way below the limit to save their spines, rendering the whole concept of an expressway and its design speed of 120 km/h useless.
  • New speed breakers (especially after flyovers): For a long time, there were barely any speed breakers in the city (especially compared to other cities). That is unfortunately now changing.

There are two locations near me where this has happened within the past few weeks. One is after the Mindspace junction flyover, where you are greeted by two sharp speed breakers right as you get off the flyover after the curve. This forces you to slow to a crawl just before merging with faster traffic coming from the left. It's the exact same situation at Biodiversity Park Flyover - II; what was previously fast-moving traffic merging with fast-moving traffic has now been made sloppy, chaotic and dangerous due to the speed breakers right after the flyover (on just half the road that too). Once again, this results in high volumes of crawling traffic merging with high volumes of fast-moving traffic, increasing the chances of mishaps.

These aren't narrow, residential lanes where speed breakers make sense. These are main roads with a uniform speed limit of 60 km/h. Traffic flow used to be smooth prior to this, but now it is a chore driving anywhere. Honestly speaking, if the nearest metro station wasn't nearly 10 kilometres away, I'd completely switch to traveling by the metro due to how tiring and frustrating city drives have become, even as a passenger and even when there isn't rush hour traffic. The speedometer and tachometer keep bouncing up and down like ping-pong balls and the average speed of commutes seems to be in terminal decline.

It’s saddening to see how these rumble strips ruin the otherwise flawless asphalt that lies underneath. Had they not existed, Telangana could very well be one of the best states to drive in India. In fact, the non-major highways are still absolutely blissful to drive on, since the rumble strips haven’t got to them yet, unlike major ones such as NH-44, NH-65, etc. Traffic flows smoothly without interruption and without needing to slam on the brakes frequently; journeys are quite stress-free and give you brilliant fuel economy too.

Meanwhile, this was the situation following recent rains. No more words needed.
Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips-rumble-strip-waterlogging.jpg
Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips-rumble-strip-waterlogging-2.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd July 2023 at 01:02. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 14:00   #45
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad's ridiculous rumble strips | Officials take notice

Quote:
Attachment 2451222

On a side note, is the picture in the tweet of the extension of Dallas Centre Road where it meets the old Mumbai Highway?
I think most of us know this but for those who don't, I took the Dallas Center Road yesterday and the rumble strips are not there anymore. I mean you can still see strip markings but the humps are removed and those strips are not causing any problems. I avoided this route for almost a year due to these but yesterday I had to take this route and was over the moon

Just mentioning this so that there might be people like me who avoided this route due to strips.
Revvatron is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks