Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2007, 14:29   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Where I park my cars, it literally rains coconuts! Honda Vtec = Front and Rear windscreen changed. Jeep = Umm, coconut broke. The final straw was then my C220 windscreen broke......We immediately got flexi-nets installed right above the parking spots. No trouble since but make the building entrance looks pretty ugly.

I highly recommend windscreen experts! Their quality of installation and materials used is unrivalled (outside of authorised service centers). For the Merc, the company estimate was 40,000 (8000 after insurance). Windscreen experts charged only 1,600 and the rest they claimed directly from the insurance company. All this with a pro-grade factory-like fit.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Have given the car to WE today, will be getting it back later in the evening as they had to get the glass from their other outlet. I was asked to pay 1700/- from my pocket, rest is insurance.
Claimed insurance as, one, I have never claimed it in all these years and thought at least let me put my hard earned premium to some use, another reason being, as my insurance guy said, my NCB is much less than the claim amount so it makes sense. As for the guy paying up, I just got his cheque now, was really not expecting him to be this prompt. I hope that it has not come with lotsa curses.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes, WE definitely quote less. And I've heard a lot of positive press about them.

Wish I could catch the road contractor who dumped stones on the side of the highway. One of them caught the lorry tyres and got propelled onto my windscreen !!! :-( No chance for repair. But the crack hasn't grown.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Wish I could catch the road contractor who dumped stones on the side of the highway. One of them caught the lorry tyres and got propelled onto my windscreen !!! :-( No chance for repair. But the crack hasn't grown.
Thats a common phenomenon, I have it too, but this crack will grows by a few mm's(1-2) only in 4-5 years, nothing to worry about.
Old 20th June 2007, 16:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Off topic but, imagine if that stone had hit a two wheeler riding down that road. Could be fatal.

Has anyone tried the WE at Madivala or is it better to go to the Ulsoor one?
Old 20th June 2007, 16:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

csentil, did u speak to them about the windscreen crack? When i spoke to them about the same issue, they said they cant do anyting about a crack, other than replace the windscreen.

Here are the numbers, call and find out.
Customer Care : 080 25590101.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

P.S. : Csentil, yours is a Corolla, right? Forgive my ignorance.
Old 20th June 2007, 17:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the concern, benbsb29. Yes I did go to the Madivala WE. He said it cannot be fixed as its too deep. However he said the chances of the crack widening is less and the sunfilm would also hold it. He gave me a sticker to put on top of the crack. He showed me the various kinds of cracks that can be repaired and said mine doesn't come in that list !!!

He quoted a price of 9500/- for the glass. Honda says it would be 12K or more. I've not changed it as I've v-kool on it which costs a bomb. Same dilemma as the thread initiator.

I own a Civic AT.
Old 20th June 2007, 17:15   #23
Team-BHP Support

Effectively spekaing, what that means is that WE turn out to be a good alternative when it comes to replacing the windscreen, and thats it.

Someone was complaining they dont do anything about scratches, and here we moan about cracks. So, that leaves only replacements, right?
Old 20th June 2007, 19:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going off-topic. But Luke is that a dead rodent hanging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Old 20th June 2007, 20:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Windshield experts have stickers that needs to be applied immediately after a crack develops to prevent it from spreading. They give it free. This will save you the trouble of replacing windshield in case of crack.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

dang! well, stones keep falling and so do coconuts. A small coconut fell on my brand new palio (about a month old) a few months back, I was quite so very lucky as it missed the rear windscreen by 3 CMs and hit the rear roof, just ahead of the rear door gap. left a considerable dent, but saved the glass! :(
Old 21st June 2007, 15:55   #27
BHPian

Coconuts seem to be a real menace. I just heard from my aunt that she was hit by a falling coconut in the school where she teaches and has 3 hairline fractures in her arm.
Old 21st June 2007, 18:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

@GD1418 That dead rodent you see is actually my lucky charm, it's been with me since 1996 and my first car, it is actually a gorilla's head which resembles something from the movie "congo"
Old 21st June 2007, 18:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The British Admiralty Manual of Seamanship warns shipwrecked sailors of the potentially lethal risks in taking shelter under a coconut palm.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:24   #30
BHPian

Re: Falling stone cracks front windscreen

There you go, yours was coconut and mine was Mango tree.

Apparently kids love these mangoes & don't hesitate throwing stones at it. Don't care where its going to land. One such big stone ended up inside my rear seat, though the rear window

Hmm now the problem is to find a spare for this window. I tried Wind Shield experts in mumbai & Bhavana Ford in Nerul no luck.

Any suggestions? Also w.r.t price.
Attached Thumbnails
Falling stone cracks front windscreen-al_htbmcqaavm85.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks