Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 10:48   #136
BHPian

Re: New trend of Uber drivers | "Where do you want to go?"

I rarely use uber/ola in Bangalore, but when I do, faced cancellation quite less compared to what I saw in Kolkata last 1 month. On an average 3 cancellation. Apart from cancellation, some of the things that I found

1. No AC on request sometimes. This photo taken by me in one of the rides this month
New trend of Uber drivers | "Where do you want to go?"-img20220314wa0010.jpg

2. Same guy registered with both Ola and Uber. One night Uber guy asked for destination and told he is not going and we have to cancel. We also did not cancel and booked in Ola, same guy accepted. (Very less cab around that time) and same story, he wouldn't cancel. Not sure how companies can tackle this sort of issues.

3. They ask to pay same amount shown in app and they cancel the booking.

4. Being in kolkata, like any yellow taxi, Uber rider asked for 20rs extra on amount shown.

Happen to speak to two drivers (not the one of twitter "cab driver story" types ), their side is company taking 25~30% commissions and further no incentives for long distance or number of trips. They are not making same money they used to make from Ola/Uber before. When asked if it is less than yellow cab, they both confirmed its same if not more, however when asked then why all this they are doing, no proper answer - just "company taking more commissions". No negotiation between company and drivers ever going to happen, end result - customers are loosers.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 28th March 2022 at 11:02.
dipdawiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:24   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestaST View Post
This used to happen a lot to me.

Whenever driver calls, I used to say ‘Airport’ and ‘cash if you want’.

Worked 9/10 times.
Wondering if you can request to be dropped at a different location after confirming for airport?
Old 28th March 2022, 11:59   #138
BHPian

One article I read and if it helps
https://www.thebetterindia.com/26473...money-payment/

The Gist below -
1. When you book a ride through any cab aggregator ensure that you make note of the cab number. Preferably take a screenshot on your mobile.

2. If after booking a ride the cab driver calls and asks you for the end destination, do share the same with them.

3. If upon learning of the end destination, the cab driver cancels the ride or refuses to allow you to board – share the date, time, location with your city Traffic police on twitter or via WhatsApp. You also need to take a screenshot of the cancelled ride to share with the traffic police.

4. Cancelling the ride attracts a penalty of Rs 500 for state run buses and Rs 200 for private cabs, which the state police directly raises on the vehicle, u/s 178 (3) (a) of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988
denzdm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:29   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

3. Why the heck isn't Uber disciplining its drivers? Cancellations from the driver ruin the customer experience. It should impose penalties for drivers cancelling trips after accepting them.

Saw a video recently from brut where uber head of india become a driver for couples of rides, he makes joke about this scenario about check at 0:28.

So it is not like he is not aware of this going on.
Joke for a person like him maybe who might be getting chauffeured around.
Old 28th March 2022, 12:57   #140
BHPian

This trend has been there for quite some time, for both of them.

In Bangalore, the cancelation is immediate once they ask the location or wait for us to cancel it. In airport pickup, they ask what the fare was and then mention the app isn't working so we can pay them directly.

Since the airport is quite far and you are already in the cab, you do not have a choice other than paying for the same.

In places like Coimbatore and Madurai, the cab drivers call and ask for the destination. Destination is not the issue, but the drivers ask for an extra 20 or 30 bucks on top of the fare. The above meter classic which we had for autorickshaws earlier. I mostly use another local aggregator called Red taxi, their services are much better and cabs are readily available.

Sometimes it is understandable and we go ahead with it, since it is a menial amount compared the heartburns we get in Bangalore when a cab is canceled. The fares to certain places are really low and cheap that owning a car it really makes me wonder how on earth will the driver recovers his cost. With ever rising costs, I find it ok to go with the extra amount (given that it is small).
Old 28th March 2022, 13:12   #141
BHPian

This is a Pan-India issue faced in every single city I've visited. Kochi has been way better in this aspect, where I've faced much lesser cancellations. If the drivers are friendly, I often talk to them and have mostly realised that their difficulty is quite truel. But India being India, I also realise we have a long way to go before expecting every person to behave ethically, kindly and understandingly.

So the moment I figured my need for a cab is bigger than fighting the system, I do the following:

1. Book Uber Auto: If distance and travel circumstance allows, this is one of the easiest finds.

2. Keep Cash: For a driver who lives his life on a day-to-day basis, it's bad for aggregators to keep a weekly payment policy. Or Uber must educate their drivers better about money management to make this work. Most of them are not used to saving money for a week and then spending them very wisely. Until this gets resolved, I try my best to keep cash.

3. Let the driver know about the destination and payment mode as soon as the cab gets booked: I immediately leave a message mentioning both these details. This makes all decisions quick!

This is working for me really well till date. For the common man in India, there is no financial and social safety net, so everyone tries to extract the most money, trying to feel the most secure, irrespective of how he treats another (hu)man. We have a loooooong way to go and until then, we might have to make some adjustments to make our days smooth.
freakmuzik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:26   #142
BHPian

My experiences in Bangalore are horrid when I need them the most. Off-peak hours are generally better. My experiences in Chennai have been better - I have never had a cancellation ever in few dozen times I have had to use an Uber. I avoid Ola as much as possible given the cabs I have received have mostly been dirty or rickety.

I use Uber of late only occasionally when I cannot drive at all for whatever reason or don't feel like driving. The bills are hefty ( frequently Rs.300 for 30 mins / 12 kms ) and it gets thru only after a few cancellations. The famed 'own nothing' model at play I suppose.

For slightly longer distances like 25 to 26 kms it's almost over 500. E.g. if I take the bus from Chennai to Bangalore it's Rs 540 on a weekend and if I take a cab from say Madiwala to KRP/Whitefield it will be 550-600 on a weekend night, makes no sense financially for users.

I stick to driving myself 99% of the times these days - less stress!
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:31   #143
BHPian

Recently during a official trip to Hyderabad, I experienced the same from Ola. Driver calls and asks for location, then cancels or simply doesn't move and transfers the booking to someone else, thus increasing the wait time. My friend's said they would even call, say what's the amount, then say it's less, give me 200-300 more. I learnt the tricks of trade in 2 days.

On my return trip to the airport, the fare showed 526 (paid 1100+) from the airport. Driver calls and asks airport drop, I said yes, he said cash or online payment. I said anything you need. He then asks what's the fare because if it's low he will cancel, I got the whiff that 526 was lower compared to 1100 and simply told him it's around 1000. He came and says I will cancel you pay me by cash. I told I will pay GPay but don't cancel. Just before entering the airport he gave his Gpay number, I waited for him to enter the final ramp and did the transfer. He had nothing to say. Kinda tit for tat.

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 28th March 2022 at 13:32.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 14:32   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDrago56 View Post
I personally use a Private Taxi Service. Very Economical, polite drivers, AC rides. You need to plan the trip in advance though otherwise you'll have to wait for a bit.
Can you please post this taxi service name and contact details? Do they operate around East Tambaram or Medavakkam area?
Old 28th March 2022, 14:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
I use Uber a lot over late nights, and if I'm going to a crowded place during the day with zero parking. Of late though, it's become a menace with almost every booking being followed by a call from the driver asking "where do you want to go?" ("destination kya hai?"). I refuse to answer the question and tell them clearly that Uber / you are supposed to take me wherever I want to go in the city.

About 75% of the time, the driver cancels the booking and I'm allotted another car. That leads to a few additional minutes of wait time. On Sunday evening, I had two Uber guys cancel on me, finally getting the 3rd car.
Just because of this issue, in Hyderabad, the police started issuing challan to the drivers . https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-police-114297. May be you should quote this precedence and push Mumbai police to issue e-challan to these cancelling drivers.
Old 28th March 2022, 17:34   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Can you please post this taxi service name and contact details? Do they operate around East Tambaram or Medavakkam area?
They're called Friends Track Call Taxi - Located in Kodambakkam - They operate city wide.

CT: (044) 26252525

Their Justdial Link can be found Here
IronDrago56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 17:57   #147
BHPian

Quote:

About 75% of the time, the driver cancels the booking and I'm allotted another car. That leads to a few additional minutes of wait time. On Sunday evening, I had two Uber guys cancel on me, finally getting the 3rd car.

1. How do you guys handle this?

2. Is Ola better?

3. Why the heck isn't Uber disciplining its drivers? Cancellations from the driver ruin the customer experience. It should impose penalties for drivers cancelling trips after accepting them.
I have started using Ola / Uber after 2 years. And is my wont, I engage in interesting discussions with the driver during the ride. This is what i observed during a recent ride in Mumbai. Halfway in my ride, my driver gets a flash on the app for a potential next ride, indicating the
1. Destination
2. Estimated time for pick up (after dropping me)
3. Estimated travel time

I asked him if this "feature" is available, why do drivers even ask the "where do you want to go?" question. He informed me that this feature is for now provided as a "perk" to well established drivers? Since he was having this feature, I asked him what his cancel percentage was - he said it was about 5%. And, according to him, most of this cancellation is due to lack of "CNG" and the passengers unwillingness to wait for the same to be refueled!

On the other hand, in Delhi a cab arrived, destination was fine, i loaded the luggage and was about to board the car when i was asked "cash or card". when i said card, he promptly refused and cancelled the ride before i could say anything.
Old 28th March 2022, 18:11   #148
BHPian

I share the same sentiments expressed by fellow Bhpians basis their experiences. I have experienced all of it including - request from driver to cancel the ride after asking the destination/ payment mode, insistence on me (customer) cancelling the ride than the driver doing it, request from driver to cancel the ride after boarding the cab with a request to pay equivalent amount in cash, etc. This menace has been existing since years (even pre-pandemic) and continues.

I use Uber as with time I realised, they are comparatively better than Ola in terms of quality and cleanliness of cabs, professionalism of drivers, availability and cheaper for the same distance. However, I have recently downloaded the BluSmart App though yet to use it. I will use them and hope they provide a better customer experience.
Old 28th March 2022, 18:58   #149
Senior - BHPian

I have been facing this 'Drop kahaan hai' question several times over the past two months, at Hyderabad. I am a UBER user and have never tried OLA ever.

For the first time, I was asked by the driver to cancel, which I didn't and had requested my colleague to book another taxi for me. He was forced to cancel and I guess he got charged for that. Subsequently, when ever I was getting the calls around drop and mode of payment, I have always told them that its on the App and he will know once I give him the OTP, and I am not willing to answer those Q's. This response has always worked for me at Hyd. Now, I haven't gone and checked if those folks have given me a rock bottom rating post the rides. That will be interesting, if its indeed the case.
Old 28th March 2022, 20:52   #150
Senior - BHPian

Could this be the other side of the story?

Ola, Uber to run without AC in Hyderabad this summer

Quote:
The Telangana Gig and Platform Workers Union (TGPWU) announced on Saturday that a 'NO AC' campaign would take place in Hyderabad to enlighten and educate drivers and customers about the challenges that Ola and Uber's drivers face, particularly with relation to rising fuel prices.
Quote:
TGPWU officials said, "the aggregator businesses are unwilling to listen to the drivers' complaints and resolve the problem. In Hyderabad, the current diesel price is Rs 98.10 per litre. The transportation department must intervene. Drivers want at least Rs 24-Rs 25 per kilometre to turn on the AC, which is now less than Rs 12-Rs 13 per km. We certainly realise the difficulties customers will encounter if their air conditioners are turned off in this hot weather,"
Quote:
The 'No AC' campaign in cabs was first launched in Kolkata. Taxi drivers in Delhi, Mumbai and Lucknow too did the same. Hyderabad drivers have recently started this.
Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks