Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 15:19   #91
Senior - BHPian

@rjstyles69:
yes did read it on todays toi, thats a great way to punish an offender. i think this measure will ensure that the offender realises his mistake and since after an offence one has to go through this tuff punishment, am sure the offender will learn from it and the others too.
btw cleaning garbage this rocks and cops can have advertisements like "Dare to break the rules!!! then be ready to clean some garbage"
Old 12th June 2007, 15:36   #92
Team-BHP Support

No point rejoicing about that order guys. Seems a session court has passed a stay order on that judgement which was passed by a trial court or something. Things dont change so soon here in India.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Did anyone read todays TOI? There was an article where a youth from Delhi was caught driving under the influence.

The outcome was a 3k fine to be paid and work with the Delhi cops at traffic signals from 10am-10pm for 7 days.
No offense but it was a ridiculous judgement. Even the cops have protested against it because Delhi's going through a heat wave and there could be serious after-effects if a 19 year old with no exposure is made to stand & direct traffic for hours on end. The cops are scared that they would get into a jam if something happened to his health.

(I'm not endorsing drunken driving by the way but just can't see how the punishment befits the crime in this case)

Last edited by suman : 12th June 2007 at 15:49.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:53   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
No offense but it was a ridiculous judgement. Even the cops have protested against it because Delhi's going through a heat wave and there could be serious after-effects if a 19 year old with no exposure is made to stand & direct traffic for hours on end. The cops are scared that they would get into a jam if something happened to his health.

(I'm not endorsing drunken driving by the way but just can't see how the punishment befits the crime in this case)
Rather, he should be made to do community service in the trauma care / ICU of a major hospital so he can see the effects of drunken driving first hand
Old 12th June 2007, 16:10   #95
BHPian

"Rather, he should be made to do community service in the trauma care / ICU of a major hospital so he can see the effects of drunken driving first hand"

@ajitkommini well said...this is more of a punishment for drunken driving.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:28   #96
BHPian

Page 1 - Page 7 was like reliving what I have to go through everyday !! I know it's not going to make my journey back home any better typing few words but it is glad to know that I am not the only one who thinks twice before taking the car out.

- Trucks travelling on the right side of the road and another truck having a drag with him to his left at 30kmh/hr. Net result. You enjoy the closest view of the most boring drag ever possible

- New meaning for Amber light after green, Speed up !! I am sure many have noticed this in Bangalore.

- 2 lane road, Truck goes at middle of the road making a single lane out of a 2 lane road.

- Indicators ... what are indicators !! If you are lucky you may see a hanging hand trying to feebly tell you that s/he is going to turn.

- A/C Driven cars with 100% noise cancellation cars. I wonder if they have really started manufacturing these as some people care a damn even if you honk to make the driver realize that s/he is going to bang your car while changing lanes seamlessly

- Many "Horn"y people on the road who love to honk even though they very well know that there is either a Red light yet to turn green or a Huge traffic jam ahead of them. Wonder if it is a superstitious thing someone told them saying if you honk with 3 long beeps and 1 short (or some wierd combination) the traffic will get cleared in front of you.

- Bikers whom I hate to call bikers who can squeeze in to end up perpendicular to the direction on movement of traffic to move ahead (wonder how)

- Bad stares from people who hate you for following traffic rules (Waiting for the signal to turn green etc etc) and delaying them by a min or so.

I can go on and on and on and on but my miseries are not going to get any better. Just felt like typing out few words and sail in the same boat and all of you

Good luck to all of us !!
Old 12th June 2007, 16:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

suman, I understand what you say. But then it doesnt justify his deed of drunken driving. Touchwood what if he was to kill someone whilst driving under the influence?

I think rules need to be imposed such that people will think twice before they even think of breaking rules.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:57   #98
Team-BHP Support

The TOI report mentioned he was in a Santro which had turned turtle. He has already played with his own life and that of others, so he better be made aware how important life is.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:57   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
and
no airconditioning
no soundproofing,
no power steering
no synchromesh gearbox
tiny rear view mirrors
THERE IS power steering and a ZF synchromesh Gearbox.
Old 12th June 2007, 17:20   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Rather, he should be made to do community service in the trauma care / ICU of a major hospital so he can see the effects of drunken driving first hand
I would tend to agree....makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
suman, I understand what you say. But then it doesnt justify his deed of drunken driving. Touchwood what if he was to kill someone whilst driving under the influence?

I think rules need to be imposed such that people will think twice before they even think of breaking rules.
RJ, I'm not justifying his drunken driving, mentioned it already in my post. But tell me, how does it help to cure this habit by making him stand in 45 degrees heat & man traffic for 12 hours a day for 7 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The TOI report mentioned he was in a Santro which had turned turtle. He has already played with his own life and that of others, so he better be made aware how important life is.
Yup, he went off at the bottom of a flyover sometime at night-early morning, car turned turtle & he passed out. But, as I said above, will the punishment (as in directing traffic) teach him to value human life?
Old 12th June 2007, 17:51   #101
BHPian

Fighting my way through bangalore traffic, I have always managed to get some easier route to work place. I prefer the lanes than the main roads. But, what I don't get is the traffic in a area like jayanagar is much smoother, as in it takes me almost only about 10-12 mins from Basavangudi to BTM! Have never been able to figure out how
Old 12th June 2007, 18:13   #102
BHPian

"New meaning for Amber light after green, Speed up !! I am sure many have noticed this in Bangalore."

Forget about the amber light people in Bangalore don’t care if the red light is still on with about 10 sec still to go on the timer, people just don’t have the patience and jump the signal, and then you'll get those stares from people who hate you for following traffic rules.
Old 12th June 2007, 18:16   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
We blame our BMTC bus drivers being rash n monsters n what not...
How many of you use our BMTC service (not volvo)? Have you guys seen the kind of work they have to do? I've seen drivers having to deal with maddening traffic, choking passengers, issuing tickets(conductor less buses), dealing with change n money and top it all having to reach the station in order to make it for the next trip. All this with other fools driving in the same space. The pressure is way too much guys.. I've seen it and you can see them visibly angry. I'm not supporting the way these drivers drive, but am only pointing out some of the reason they decide to just drive the way they please. If educated people can't drive smaller vehicles properly, imagine the surroundings in which a BMTC driver has to drive?
BMTC drivers are paid for driving the buses. None of us are being paid to drive/ride to work everyday. When you are on your job, you should be prepared for tough and testing times. You can't tell me that you never get angry when something goes array at your workplace. If you have a tough client who makes you angry, you can't just vent out all your anger on your co-workers! When you are being paid to do something, you are expected to do it properly. There will be tough times and delays along the way... get used to it.... it is something you should have been expecting when you took up the job.
Old 12th June 2007, 18:18   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I would tend to agree....makes sense

will the punishment (as in directing traffic) teach him to value human life?
It might not teach him to value human life but yes definately he will not repeat this mistake fearing such punishments.
btw had he been let off by charging fine, he wont hessitate to do this mistake again.

Here in India offenders are let off by charging a negligible amount as fine(100, 200, etc). This hardly puts any kind of fear in the minds.
Old 12th June 2007, 18:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

@abhishek "- Trucks travelling on the right side of the road and another truck having a drag with him to his left at 30kmh/hr. Net result. You enjoy the closest view of the most boring drag ever possible"

lol, have witnessed this race so many times. good one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks