Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 16:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps introduces 'Plus Codes' feature in India

Google Maps has introduced a new feature that allows users in India to search for a location using 'plus codes'.

Google Maps introduces 'Plus Codes' feature in India-googlepluscodes.jpg

'Plus codes' are free, open-sourced, digital addresses that provide accurate information of a location, including places that don't have formal addresses.

'Plus codes' are based on the latitude and longitude of the location, displayed as a sequence of letters and numbers. It's a more accurate way of searching a particular address. Plus codes have been in use since 2018 and have been adopted by NGOs and government institutions in India.

Users in India can now save their 'Home' location on Google Maps by selecting 'Use your current location'. The function will automatically generate a plus code using their phone's location.

The 'Plus code' feature is available on Google Maps on Android only.

Source: Zee News
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 18:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Google Maps introduces 'Plus Codes' feature in India

Plus codes is not a new feature in google maps India and not exclusive to android as well. I have been noticing plus codes on my iphone google maps for a while now.

Last edited by Comrade : 28th January 2022 at 18:59.
Comrade is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 10:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Plus codes is not a new feature in google maps India and not exclusive to android as well. I have been noticing plus codes on my iphone google maps for a while now.
Up until this new roll out, plus codes could be used only by commercial establishments. With this new update, they are planning to roll out the feature for your saved home addresses too.

And I verified that the Plus Code for my home is being shown only on my Android and not my Mom's iOS.

And on a side note, while I am an early adopter of tech, I am yet to see anyone use a Plus Code while sharing addresses. In fact, I haven't seen people knowing about it either.

Moreover, other methods of sharing addresses, which are equally convenient if not more, via Google Maps already exist, so I don't see any reason why people would use Plus Codes.
rnkgrg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 11:12   #4
BHPian

To add on to Comrade, even I recall seeing plus codes in Google Maps for a long time.

Always ignored it, because I didn't understand what they were, so thank you for the informative article. But I don't believe they're anything new.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 11:47   #5
BHPian

Agree, it's been here for a while now. Don't remember how long exactly but I have personally used this for atleast 2 or 3 years now. It's quite easy to share as well instead of a full address or a link for location or even the latitude/ longitude.
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 13:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkgrg View Post
not my Mom's iOS.
Strange because I am able to see plus codes for any randomly dropped pin, not just in hyderabad but in far flung rural areas as well.
Old 29th January 2022, 13:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
'Plus codes' are based on the latitude and longitude of the location, displayed as a sequence of letters and numbers.
I'm curious how this adds value? Doesn't the erstwhile location pin also use lat/long?

Or is it a privacy thing: masking the actual address and using a pseudonym.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 13:52   #8
BHPian

This seems to operate a lot like What3Words it seems.
ads11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 14:15   #9
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. Though I have seen the code, didn’t know what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The 'Plus code' feature is available on Google Maps on Android only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkgrg View Post
not my Mom's iOS.
As others said, I too have noticed this some time back on iOS, but ignored. Verified now and it’s there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm curious how this adds value?
I think it’s easier to share than latitude/longitude which includes two 8-9 digit numbers.

From google’s article,
  1. They are much shorter than traditional global coordinates, so they’re easy to share.
  2. Plus Codes work whether you’re online or offline—you don’t need an internet connection.
  3. Plus Codes are based on a set of 20 alphanumeric characters. They do not include easily confused characters, are not case-sensitive, and they exclude vowels.
  4. Plus Codes represent an area. The resolution of the area can be changed by adding or removing characters after the “+” sign.
Reference: https://maps.google.com/pluscodes/
robincsamuel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Plus codes have been around for long. I think I noticed them a couple of years ago. Just didn't add enough value while sharing an address on WhatsApp etc. This just might be a step in trying to make them mainstream.

In some senses, it is like having a good phone number in times when they don't need to be remembered anymore. However, for places which don't have proper addresses - farm houses, slums, villages, highway dhabhas, random locations in the field and especially for rescue operations it could be valuable. It gives all the conveniences of having a proper address does; including shopping deliveries. It is something that can be noted and shared like an address.

The link shared above by @robincsamuel is useful in explaining. ( https://maps.google.com/pluscodes/ ). Thanks.

As @ads11 said, it is similar to what3words, but with the added functionality of changing resolution. ( https://what3words.com/ ). Thanks.

With the might Google has in the online world, this just might end up being the our regularly used address in the times to come considering the brevity and accuracy it provides. Google would get data on locations people visit, and more.

Last edited by Poitive : 29th January 2022 at 15:35. Reason: Language.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:37   #11
BHPian

Noob question - how is this different from something like ‘What3words’ except for the fact it will be harder to remember these cryptic Google codes.
Old 29th January 2022, 15:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Noob question - how is this different from something like ‘What3words’ except for the fact it will be harder to remember these cryptic Google codes.
* Shorter.
* Less prone to spelling error related issues. (as an additional measure - without vowels in Google's version)
* One app less to use. Google Maps is almost ubiquitous.
* Easier to get the 'short address' for places already bookmarked in Google Maps.
* With the might of Google, more likely to become mainstream.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks