Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 09:27   #16
BHPian

re: Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city

In Bengaluru, when a new road is laid, the contractor has the obligation to maintain it for few years, provided that the road is not damaged by other activities.

So, the bbmp (civil work department in Bangalore) contractors first make sure that there is already some contract with bwssb (water supply) or bescom (power) where the road has to be dug up.

Then, bbmp first lay that particular road with minimum possible expense.
Within few weeks or months, the bwssb or bescom start with their work and dig up the road.

Now, the bbmp contractor need not fulfill the obligation as the road is dug up by another agency.

It is not because of lack of communication between the agencies, but the standard modus operandi followed. So next time if they are laying a road near you, expect it to be dug up.
praveenkkr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 11:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city

Dug up roads & dust is the cost of 'development'. With zero co-ordination between civic agencies it's an absolute dogshow in Bangalore. Newly laid roads are definitely going to be dug up for some new project. Dust is a problem in every part of the city.
Once considered a pensioner's paradise Bangalore is now not even a shadow of what it was before. Few relatives & friends I know have moved out to smaller towns after their retirement in recent years being fed up with all the chaos in Bangalore.
shady is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:04   #18
BHPian

Re: Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
The other day 3 boys were threatening a super market owner that they will catch him and beat him up the moment he steps out of his store and walks towards his car. All this because he refused to give them a discount of 66/- on a purchase of 566.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Coming into richess without adequate skills or vision, people fall off soon. Murders of rival gang members is a common thing now. With new developments, the buildings are coming up while the society is going down.
Bang on! The people are becoming violent. I lived close to Gurgaon for 3.5 years. I was scared every time there was a traffic tension on the road. Even simplest issue can lead to a major incident. Since it's a thread on road conditions, I recall one incident in Bhiwadi (Alwar dist.). We used to get milk and eggs everyday from a shop below our apartment complex after office hours. We did the same that day, went to home for refreshing and came down to find that the shopkeeper was shot and killed. Just over an silly argument. Then the shopkeeper's relative started creating havoc by rash driving on his JCB and dug up the highway making many stranded on the road.

On the sudden richness part - I have witnessed villagers prying in a Porsche Panamera with legs on dash, no belts or safe driving smoking a sutta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Now BBMP elections are nearing, things would start to change dramatically, albeit for the short term.
Elections times are always promising! But can't expect a quality work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Pictures don't do justice but it was completely covered in dust. Surprising thing is there's no construction happening on that stretch.
I get your point, glad that the wipers are up, else you can find a hardened dust line. The cement dust is fine and it can easily transported by air for some distance.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th January 2022 at 05:11. Reason: As requested
saikarthik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 15:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
The company has promised to relay the surface and also replace the broken manholes which is the best they could and I am glad they promised.
With a private company, you will probably have better luck at the end of the ordeal compared to BBMP/BSSWB. They just dig and forget or fill it with loose soil after removing well compacted earth. And then we all know what happens later.

You just need to Visit Pattandur Agrahara Gutta road to see what they do with freshly tarred road.
ASHUJNMC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 15:45   #20
BHPian

In Bangalore, they keep digging up the roads a lot, even after they have recently re-laid them. All this would just be for the underground pipelines and other excuses. In Marathahalli, they have dug up the service road on the bridge countless number of times and they do a really bad job of finishing it off. The road next to Kalamandir which connects to Varthur road is in such a horrible condition that we can absolutely call it offroading. Our car's underbelly has scraped the bottom of the road so many times that we get really frustrated every single time we take it out. They do a really bad job of repairing the roads, so horrible that you would see a new crater in the same place just two days after the repair work! I honestly think this is just them taking the taxpayers' money and wasting it. I remember there was an article about Church Street, which was redone as a part of the TenderSure project, the quality of work was so bad that everything broke off when it rained really heavily in Bangalore. Attaching link to article(s) below:

https://www.deccanherald.com/metroli...t-1054522.html

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...s-1059934.html

I'm sure things will get even worse as time passes by, as there is Metro work going on all over Bangalore. The roads have been made smaller, which increases the traffic jams and makes it hell to drive in peak traffic.
Old 14th January 2022, 00:00   #21
BHPian

Patience, tons of it is needed when you are in such a locality. I endured nearly 2 years of complete lockdown of my main exit when the new highway was being built in Trivandrum. Dust, concrete slurry all around, slush when it rained, traffic blocks due to construction. But now it's all paid off. Hats off to the NHAI and the contractor for such good roads.

The old 2 lane "highway" , no service road, greenery all around. Loved it.

Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city-screenshot_202201132340042.png

All dug up for cables, water and sewerage lines. Even lorries couldn't ply for months.
Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city-screenshot_202201132339513.png

Getting better, dusty, but still not accessible to houses.
Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city-screenshot_202201132339422.png

Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city-screenshot_202201132339352.png

And after its all done. You can drive in 90kmph. But missing the greenery a lot.
Look Ma, No Road | Rants of living in a constantly developing part of the city-screenshot_202201132339222.png
kutts is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks