Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Driving position
Low seat 147 35.77%
High seat 274 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2021, 09:53   #76
BHPian

Re: Low vs High driving position – Your choice?

Voted Low. I mostly drive on winding roads. I feel more confident when seated low driving through fast curves. Never felt that good seated high on any car. Maybe I got this sense of comfort from motorsports.

Last edited by jalex77 : 12th November 2021 at 09:55.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 11:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

After using the Ecosport and Honda City alternatively, I lean slightly towards the higher position. Though the low slung position on the City does give a sporty vibe when one is able to drive at a fast clip and gun the iVTEC engine.

For urban potholed and broken road conditions though, the higher position makes more sense (especially in inclement weather conditions). Visibility of potholes and water filled areas is much better and easier to navigate from the higher viewpoint.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:22   #78
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving in both low seating position in my i20 as well as high seating position in my XUV500.
I feel both have their own characteristics, I like the low seating if its for a sporty drive or on a winding road, but for a short duration only.

But over all these years, I feel its the high seating position which works for me overall. Great visibility, commanding view of the road and great over long drives which i often do and prefer.
Old 12th November 2021, 13:28   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
One of the major issue with low sitting during the driving is - excessive hip flexor activity. This renders the hip extensor muscles ( mainly the Gluteal muscles) inactive for long periods. They eventually become weak, putting other core muscles in jeopardy.

Now I own Safari, which has a commanding drive position, ably aided by lumber support. It definitely makes driving less cumbersome, and life easier.
I always had back pain and my earlier cars gave me severe back pain after a long drive. I would walk like a duck after a trip. With Safari and its lumbar support I can drive much longer distances for hours without any pain. I once drove for 14 hours at a stretch without any issues.
Old 12th November 2021, 16:57   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
With Safari and its lumbar support I can drive much longer distances for hours without any pain. I once drove for 14 hours at a stretch without any issues.
Glad to know that. It’s definitely encouraging.

Most Morden cars do come with adjustable lumbar support and seat position adjustments . It’s worth getting lumbar support pillows , if the manufacturer does not provide one.

More than the infotainment gizmos, I will definitely rate the car based on driving comfort and safety features. Considering that the driver has to remain in a particular position for longer time, the comfortable position is more important to avoid back / knee issues.
NitSat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 18:23   #81
BHPian

Few more random thoughts on this topic since the doc has kindled the medical angle to it

(1)Seat height is best when your hip and knee are almost at the same level when seated especially driving since it not only involves being seated for long hours but also works on your hip , knees, ankles all at the same time.

(2)Low seating may have a common indiction towards bursitis too.
(3)Also many people keep their wallet in the back pocket when seated this inevitably leads to Sciatica

Whenever point 1 is taken care this depends on rider fitment of body type then there is no issue . From a driving standpoint the higher stance give more visibility and increased judgmental view of the road ahead

Cheers
Prasad

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 12th November 2021 at 18:24. Reason: spelling
Dieseldunk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks