Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Driving position
Low seat 147 35.77%
High seat 274 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 07:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Low vs High driving position – Your choice?

Voted Low. In fact, like some fellow Bhpians mentioned, it is more of backrest reclined vs upright position, that changes the total body position and visibility.

Back in Saudi, I used some what upright position in city drives and reclined position on highways. Only changed the backrest angle.

While driving long distances, like 300 - 400 kms at one stretch, I used to change the seat height slightly every 1 hour, to change the stress patterns of the leg and thigh muscles.

Overall, low driving position like Civic is what I love.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 3rd November 2021 at 07:11.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:07   #62
BHPian

Could not vote, but it's obviously high seating position for city rides as higher position gives confidence in bumber to bumper traffic conditions. And this amounts for 80% of my odometer reading.

However, I find lower seating position quite comfortable and relaxed on highways.
Risky4327 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:10   #63
BANNED

Voted: Low

I don't want to feel like I'm sitting in a garden chair while driving. It gets terribly uncomfortable after a while. This is coming after experiencing WagonR (gen1, gen2), Nano (gen2) and Scorpio (gen2). I loved the seating position in the old Figo, Polo and Octi.

However, I've tried newer crossovers like Venue and Sonet and their seats offer good support and ergos. I'm guessing the seats aren't all that high in these tall cars.
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:41   #64
BHPian

Voted for high seating, because of my height and a history of a bad back. Having said that I have to reduce the seat height of my Nexon to its lowest as in the standard height I hit the roof. : ).
Old 3rd November 2021, 18:57   #65
BHPian

I could not vote but for me low seating is really comfortable in my Polo TSI. I drive a friend's WagonR too and that has a fixed seat height, which is on the higher side.
I definitely feel the difference and like the commanding view the WagonR gives but somehow WagonR tires me up early as compared to Polo for the same duration (Ride quality is definitely better on Polo) and my back starts hurting.
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:12   #66
BHPian

Owned and driven both seating position cars and I am comfortable with both. Only thing with low seating position is when a large car or bus stands beside , I feel a bit intimidated. But it doesn't matter much.
Old 6th November 2021, 19:58   #67

Could not vote, but would vote for LOW seating

A low seating position has a lower center of gravity and hence has less lateral movement when car turns. I believe that reduces the driving fatigue.

As long as you are able to see the bottom of the car in front, it should be fine..
Old 7th November 2021, 11:40   #68
BHPian

I could not vote but right now would vote for a higher seating position. Feels good when you can see clearly all around and yes that (negative) kick of looking down on the lesser cars.
I guess it has a lot to do with the kind of car that you drive. For speed enthusiasts, i believe that a low seating would be best suited and for those who drive SUV's a higher seating.
But this assumption of mine is often proven wrong in the gulf where I see the locals drive SUVs as if they were driving a race car.
Krish
Old 7th November 2021, 12:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Voted for high seating position. All my cars (WagonR, Safari, X3) except Brio had/has tall instances and I enjoy seating tall and upright. Another thing quite useful with Safari and X3 is that I could see the tip of their flowing bonnets. Helps in tight spots. Brio i have to keep backrest straight as far as possible to see the road wide ahead.
Old 11th November 2021, 23:05   #70
BHPian

I could not vote.

I chose HIGH for Indian road conditions. For obvious reasons that a crossover/SUV is the best type of vehicle for Indian roads than a sedan/hatchback. A sedan/hatchback only has limited road options here.
Old 12th November 2021, 00:41   #71
BHPian

Voted for the high position.

Being a doctor, who has suffered major disc prolapse- I have tried to dissect the issues contributing to the low back pain and degenerate disc.

One of the major issue with low sitting during the driving is - excessive hip flexor activity. This renders the hip extensor muscles ( mainly the Gluteal muscles) inactive for long periods. They eventually become weak, putting other core muscles in jeopardy.

The recline angle and scooped back rest of drivers seat also contributes to faulty position during driving.

A proper seat height with adequate lumbar support ( which helps to maintain normal curvature of the spine) is utmost important, if you wish to drive for long distances .

In fact, during my temporary ownership of Dsire , I put pillows on the seat to get a proper height. And used lumber rolls for back support. This helped me a lot for longer rides.

Now I own Safari, which has a commanding drive position, ably aided by lumber support. It definitely makes driving less cumbersome, and life easier.

Cheers.
NitSat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 03:33   #72
Team-BHP Support

Voted - High

I have realised off late that I enjoy a commanding high seat position. It does not need to be full fat BOF high but a nice monocoque seating is the sweet spot. I don’t really enjoy any aspect of a ultra low slung car in terms of ingress / egress - whether in front or the back, or even the driving position. Even my GT is actually nice enough. A little higher than that is even more welcome.
Old 12th November 2021, 07:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

High seating anyday, I can do 800+ km a day with ease, moreover I am less stressed, have never been a sedan guy. My next upgrade will be an SUV for sure.
Old 12th November 2021, 09:01   #74
BHPian

It really depends on the car.

In my e90 325i and e60 530i. I like the super low slung inside the car driving position. In the e60 the steering wheel also moves away automatically when you get in and out so that helps.

In my b6 passat 1.8 tsi and f25 x3 I like the higher position so that I can see outside better. This is more comfy too. The passat has the better seats than the e90 and f25. The e60 seats are something else though.

In my lc120 prado it's full sitting on top of the car seating. Like the steering wheel is in your lap almost. Helps with visibility and I have to climb into the the prado so it's easier to just sit on rather than get into.

Cheers!
Old 12th November 2021, 09:21   #75
BHPian

It's all about what you are 'used to'. I drove a low-riding sedan for 4 years and when I was looking for my next car, I hated the seating and dynamics of almost all CSUVs. Settled for the SCross as it came the closest to a car-like like driving position and dynamics. Had my first car been a Santro or Wagon-R, I'm sure my preferences would have differed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks