Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Driving position
Low seat 147 35.77%
High seat 274 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 18:52   #16
BHPian

re: Low vs High driving position – Your choice?

I have experienced that a High position and high stance car gives a better ride time. May be at the cost of sounding biased (having owned the City) the low seating was not to my liking and felt a twad of backache/ leg ache after a long ride. Never felt this in Swift or Ecosport.

Cheers
Old 30th October 2021, 19:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Both.

Low - on highways and good twisty roads
High - on bad roads
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 19:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Both!!!!

When in a SUV, I would want to sit as high as Burj Khalifa!!!!
When in a Sedan, I would prefer to be as low as Kolkata Metro!!!!

That said, Over Longer distances I have realized that a higher seating position is less tiring somehow.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 19:35   #19
BHPian

Voted for Low Seat. I was skeptical when I moved from i10 AT to Yaris sedan w.r.t comfort over short and long distance. Surprisingly, I found Yaris seat to be super comfy with less fatigue over long distance.I think a lot depends on the seat design and our posture in the seat.
Old 30th October 2021, 20:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Though when we look at in black & white, the high-seating position is better, I think there is the aspect of the actual seat itself.

From the little I have travelled in other cars apart from my Storme, I have found the S-Cross a little better than a XL6, and definitely better than even the Duster.

Seat ergonomics also contributes to the comfort than just high or low seating position.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 11:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

I prefer a high position for driving. It gives a better view, and also is more comfortable.
Old 31st October 2021, 22:48   #22
BHPian

Voted - high. Less fatigue, more visibility. Have a bad back, so a higher seating is more comfy.

My WagonR (2008) has a high seating and I learnt driving after buying the car. It was much easier than driving a car with low seating. Likewise, for the Polo 1.2 MPI (2018) - the highline plus version provisions an adjustable seating. I have always preferred a higher seating. Not sure if it is limited to this specific hatchback since it has very stable maneuvers, but being able to see more of the road without having to apply your mind through rush hours is so much more comfortable.

Though I have to admit that low seating in different sedans that I have driven, is not uncomfortable for longer drives at all.
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 10:28   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Low vs High driving position – Your choice?

I love low seating, but only in fast & sporty cars. For everything else (including mainstream cars), I prefer high seating because of the road view it provides. Have experienced first-hand that, in some low seating cars, you can easily miss the unmarked speed breakers.

Voted for high.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 10:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 'High Driving Position' in general.
I prefer the high driving position within the city as you need better visibility of the road. Low seating and high set dashboard makes you to stretch your neck and lean forward at times in tight situations.
But low seating (legs stretched a bit more and the backrest more reclined) works better on long drives as it is more relaxing.
BTW there must be a thread on this already.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted for High.
I currently have 4th generation Honda City and First generation Innova.
Although for sheer driving pleasure I love the low seating position, overall, our operating conditions are too harsh for low seating. One particular irritant is LED lights from two wheelers that aim straight for eyes in case of low seating. In case of higher seating, this is an added comfort factor that I am not always blinded by LED lights. And the poor roads can be identified better in higher seating.

Still would love to retain car with low seating, enjoy the sunrise on a smooth highway. But practicality has set in, next car would have high seating position.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:57   #26
BHPian

In an ideal world, I would have loved the low riding position. It gives the best ride feel and is easier in twisties. Also much less swaying and nausea. I don't understand why low seat should have much back issues since I'd always thought of it as more of the function of the seat and position of pedals rather than the height (except for getting in and out).

But realistically higher riding position is better. Yes, ingress/egress is improved but what really helps is that compared to low this puts you away from the glaring headlight driving at night. Also, a commanding view in slow traffic is helpful in city which you can't get in low seat driving.
astrodex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 00:30   #27
BHPian

Voted for high seating position.

It's been a year with my Bolero BS6 and the commanding seating position is unmatched. Whenever I drive my Punto(2015 model which has a high GC) feels too low and uncomfortable in comparison.

I for one will not go back to low seating.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 02:42   #28
BHPian

The connection I feel with the road when sitting low (lower the better), the lack of vertical pitching on highways that aren’t perfectly level, the confidence during an aggressive corner, and countless other benefits of sitting low put me in the minority I believe.

I’d rather sit low and have the ability to weave through slower traffic in a more dynamic car with a low cg that aids stability over a high cg vehicle that pitches and bobs every time a slightly sharp steering input is given. The claimed difficulty in ingress for low cars I feel is overstated, have seen plenty of older people not have any issues getting in/out, one of whom owns a 718 Cayman and has his seat on the lowest position, he’s 78.

Even my parents who are not into cars at all felt uncomfortable with all the pitching and bobbing in a Fortuner when we skipped taking the accord on a particular road trip awhile back (and accord is softly sprung and not that low to begin with) so you can see how important the ride height is to passenger comfort even for non enthusiasts, but I understand everyone has different preferences.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 06:28   #29
BHPian

Both!
Having driven both high seating cars & low seating cars, I would say it depends upon one's travel requirements.

Spirited drives are much better enjoyed in low seating cars where you can easily tackle turns at high speeds. It gives you confidence due to stable body posture.

Driving high seated cars would definitely help maneuvering traffic conditions better due to better visibility. Plus, you won't be blinded always due to oncoming car headlights (or should I say Floodlights).

I'm not very sure whether low seating or high seating affects one's back or not. We have a dedicated thread for this discussion, but no conclusion.
But yes, if one's back is already hurt, then higher seating would be preferred due to easy ingress.
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:36   #30
BHPian

Never having liked low seating cars mostly because of the roads I have been driving or driven on. Road conditions are improving but not good enough to justify a low seated low slung sedan or hatchback.

Never really liked the driving position of our first car, Hyundai Grand i10 because of its kind of low seating position (relatively), high set and long dashboard, high window line. The driving position of my next car, Maruti Suzuki Celerio felt better to me.
Then came the Ford Ecosport, nice high driving position and sorted dynamics felt great, making me not miss a low seated driving position. Although Ecosport had a few quirks, like huge A pillars, high set dashboard.

Now, I only have the New Thar, very high driving position but during my first long trip with it, I loved the commanding driving position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks