Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 18:29   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

First learning and/or driving licence experience & anecdotes

Most of us have an experience or two and/or anecdotes associated with either our first learning or driving licence or with both. Most of these, almost all associated with the RTO office and its personnel are memorable ones. I have two experiences of mine to share with you all and one related to my brother.

I jumped since the day I attained adulthood and the age of 18 for a two wheeler "L" licence. It was very easy to get one. A birth certificate and an address proof would suffice. No tests, no photos of the applicant or anything of that sort. The first "L" licence was valid for 6 months and could be extended by another three months by paying a nominal fee. So after getting the "L' licence, post the mandatory six month validity to learn, I went to the RTO office with my Dad for my permanent driving licence. Mr Chitre the PRO at the local RTO office was a neighbour and a family friend. As our only two wheeler, a Lambretta was not in running condition that day, Chitre uncle offered his very old Lambretta - MHX 3333 - yes RTO officials had such fancy numbers during those days. As I had learnt driving on this scooter brand, I kick started MHX 3333 and was about to ride. I found that the clutch wire was so loose that only the last two to three cms or so of the lever would activate the scooter to move. The clutch lever was a dud for at least 4-5 cms of its travel. After three or four times with the engine abruptly getting switched off due to the faulty clutch wire, I drove and gave the trial, circled as told and then did the figure of "eight" successfully and there the MVI and Chitre uncle with my Dad were all happy and the permanent driving licence was okayed.

Next, came the time for four wheeler licence at the age 24. I had joined service and was posted in a remote area in Adilabad dist (then in A.P., now in Telangana). I was into driving jeeps at the time and felt that a licence was very necessary. The dist headquarters Adilabad was 180 kms away (now Mancherial has also become a dist after bifurcation of Adilabad) and Karimnagar, the other dist Hq was 120 kms away from my place of stay. Hence, the agents in my place of stay had connections with the Karimnagar RTO office. Firstly, I got a "L" four wheeler licence from this RTO. I requested the agent to charge his fee and get the 4 wheeler endorsement by the RTO office in my 2 wheeler licence. He surprised me by telling that till about a week ago a fee payment would be OK with no trial etc for the licence. But the MVI was trapped as someone with a physical disability (not recorded with RTO) was given a permanent licence through some agent. The MVI was trapped and suspended. Since then, as was told by the agent, the licence issuing inspector insists on physically seeing every applicant. I took a driver to Karimnagar, gave the trial and got my licence. The agent helped deliver the licence to me.

The issue of permanent licence to my brother has a funny side. He was then an Army Captain and was on a short leave at home. Coincidentally, at home the Lambretta was again not in working condition. The alternative was our Luna TFR Plus moped. I on my bicycle and brother on the Luna reached the RTO office. The MVI was a fat, tall moustached personality. In his office room he saw the "L" licence, birth certificate and so on. Those days there was no distinction between "geared" and "non geared" two wheeler licences. The rank "Captain" was mentioned in my brother's application form. The MVI now walked out of his office for trails by applicants. My brother's turn came who was seen pedal starting the Luna moped and soon did his circle and the figure of "eight". I was beside the MVI who said "What's this? He is a Captain and I thought he will at least give trial in a RE Bullet." I had a good laugh !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th October 2021 at 18:36.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 19:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: First learning and/or driving licence experience & anecdotes

Great thread!

Let me share what happened with me, circa 2005.
I was in college back then, and was full of confidence (along with over-confidence).

When the time arrived, I applied for a Driving License.
There was no proper driving test being conducted at my place, just a few questions by the MVI, and you are done.

On the fateful day, I, along with a bunch of other people waited on the Bench, outside the MVI's room.
The first to go in, was a constable.
He entered the room, and presented a salute with a super-loud stamping of his heavy boots.
It was so loud a salute, that everyone nearby was frozen for a few seconds.
The effect was positive.
Mr. Constable was granted prasadam of 'Passed' instantly.

I was the next to go in.
Just as I walked in (A T-Shirt Jeans college kid that I was), the MVI surely must have felt a sharp contrast to the previous 'disciplined' candidate.
He simply asked where my helmet was, and why I came to the interview room without a helmet.
As I fumbled for some explanations, I was immediately given a 'Failed' stamp & shown the door.

That was my first brush with babu-dom.
I still remember the dejection, & I still recollect the sound of those boots!

Last edited by abhishek46 : 27th October 2021 at 19:55.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 19:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Circa 2002

I had to get my two wheeler licence and my father had to convert his non geared one to geared. Both of us went for the test the same day. I was a noob and a newbie, he, a veteran of two decades.

Our ride was a humble Vespa scooter. I had read up the rules and gone over the signs and signals the previous night. Rode on the pot holed road as instructed by the MVI, took a U turn, came back to him, stopped and grinned ear to ear.

My father did the same (of course, without grinning).

When he was about to compliment me, the MVI threw a spanner saying You didn't use the proper hand signal while stopping, I am failing you. Come back next time!

He was addressing my father .
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

We neither had 2 wheeler nor 4 wheeler till I was 30 years. My father had a suvega but it was scrapped and sold to metal scrap yard when I was 17 years. However, All I had was a strong desire to hold a license in the pocket and show off to friends.

The way I got learning license for 2 wheeler was uneventful. I just went to RTO with documentary evidences of age and address proof and got LL. (There was no test for LL during those days). However, when I wanted to go for DL for 2 wheeler, I did not have a vehicle to drive. With LL for 12 months (1st six months new LL and next six months renewal), I had learnt bike riding theoretically from my friends. I started asking for bike from my friends but could not get one. None of my relatives had faith in my driving and hence could not get vehicle from them as well. I struggled for almost a month but in vain.

I had observed my Engineering drawing lecturer riding an old bajaj 150 scooter(3 gears). He liked me because of my sincerity and honesty in his class. I never used to bunk his classes, used to complete all assessments very regularly. One day, when I was in engineering drawing class in college, I just went and whispered in my lecturer's ear, that I wanted to talk to him personally. He asked me to meet him after the class. I met him and expressed my struggle. He looked at me for 2mins and just asked me when was my test. I had no appointment for test but with some blind confidence, I said a date after 12 days. He said, he will give me the scooter with a condition that, if I fail, I have to fill the tank. If I pass, it's free ride for me. I know for sure, he would not have asked me to fill the tank in any case.

I agreed and then went to RTO with a confidence that I will get appointment for the date agreed with lecturer. But, to my bad luck, I did not get the appointment for that date but for a later date.

Now, I was not sure, if my lecturer would agree to give the scooter on revised date. But, still I went ahead and fixed the appointment. Next day, I went to lecturer and told him about the revised date of test. Luckily, he just smiled at me and said ok. I was the most happiest person in the world at that moment.

On the day of test, the risks that I had to face was,

1. I had only theoretical knowledge of riding gear scooter.

2. I had never ever touched the lecturer's old bajaj 150 in my life. It was like a unknown beast for me.

3. I was told that RTO never passes the candidates first time. If the candidate is going for test without bribes, he is sure shot failure.

With all the above risks, I took the keys at 8 AM near college and started riding - NO, actually started learning the scooter by taking multiple rounds, different routes from Bangalore institute of technology (near KR Market) till Jayanagar RTO. I should definitely remember his help, he had filled full tank and handed over the key to me.

After 2-3 hours of continuous ride, I got confidence to take the test. At 11 AM, I went to RTO and took the test. Theory test was a cake walk since I had mastered all the sections, laws, mandatory and cautionary signs.

In Practical test, inspector came and sat behind in pillion seat and asked me to drive. I took him for a ride in the specified path. He suddenly asked me to stop at a place. I stopped confidently with all hand signs. He got down and asked me to get down. I started sensing some fishy situation. I did not get down but just looked around the place. There was a no parking board. I caught the issue. I said, I can not get down and insisted him get on the seat and drove back to the end point.

Now the argument started

Inspector: I can not pass you since you stopped at no parking.

Me: I did not get down from the scooter. The sign was NOPARKING and not NO STOPPING. hence I did not do any mistake.

Inspector: I still can't pass you. You need some more practice

Me: I have already taken 1 year to complete my learning with one renewal. Have been riding this scooter for complete 1 year every day for 45 mins(big lie). I really think I don't need any more training

Finally he got fed-up and came to business. "How much will you pay"

I did not budge. I said, I am a rank student in 10th(I had got 82nd rank for the state), I got merit engineering seat without donation(this was also true). I don't have money to pay (this was true as well)

He just thought for a minute and said, "COME AND COLLECT YOUR DL ON MONDAY EVENING 3PM"

I could not believe that he is passing me in first attempt without bribe. Just thanked him and left the place.

This is my story in 1989, a 18 years engineering student, who had not driven the gear scooter even once, did not have any vehicle to take the test, did not have money to fill the fuel or pay for bribe, passing the DL test in first attempt.

I cherish these memories and say to myself Poverty teaches life. Money buys things

Last edited by gkveda : 27th October 2021 at 21:51.
gkveda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:03   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: First learning and/or driving licence experience & anecdotes

Great thread, Anjan!

I have never shared this with anyone before, but I failed my first USA driving test . I went in overconfident of my driving skills. The strict inspector (USA cops are very big & intimidating) sat in. He barely fit in the Accord's front seat. I yawned and thought "well, this is going to be a breeze". Drove around confidently with perfectly timed gearshifts etc. He told me "son, you have a heavy right foot". I slowed down a bit. He asked me to park in a relatively tight spot. I did it without a fuss. Then, he asked me about a hand signal . Damn, I hadn't even studied or read up on it. It was some strange hand signal.

Flunked! Went back a second time after reading all the material and passed.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:46   #6

Nice thread and what a timing! It’s exactly 13 years since I got my 2 wheeler license.

I was not confident enough to take my dad’s LML Vespa for the driving test as it was very heavy. Found an agent and gave my test in an old M80. I had to pay for the fuel (Rs. 45, damn expensive that time!).

I was very tensed about the first gear and was asking him, “Can I go for a ride and get comfortable?”. He said, “Not needed. But trust me, you won’t fail”. I took that as a blessing and ofcourse I got the license. After the test I met the agent again to return the vehicle and then he said he will tell a secret and started the vehicle, changed gears (all 4), released the clutch - the vehicle never stalled!

Felt like a fool when I thought about how I was trying hard to balance the clutch and accelerator in front of him for so long in the morning
lbklenin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

I got my two-wheeler license long back. For the LL there was an oral test regarding hand signals and road signs. For the DL test, the inspector asked me to drive, while he was standing and watching.

For the four-wheeler DL test, the inspector sat beside and asked me to drive forward, take some turns, reverse etc. All of which I did successfully.

For me, both the events are memorable by and of themselves, and there were no funny or unusual incidents.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 16:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing memorable for my DL tests, but the learner's (computer) test was a real memorable one. Not for the test, which was again not memorable, but the waiting.

I had like 15-20mins for my turn in the queue, when all of a sudden stomach started rumbling. To attend nature's call . Since anyone can imagine a run down government building facilities, I quickly walked to my friend's place 5 minutes away. Came back, and the guy who stood behind me just entered the examination hall. Pleaded with the inspector, but he didn't give in. Had to wait till evening for the inspector to allow me inside.

My Qatar DL test was kind of heart in mouth situation. Everyone had warned me I won't make it, atleast without bribes or wasta in the first attempt. My turn came and I was smooth and fast. Quickly accelerating till the 120km/h limit, using indicators, smoothly taking the roundabouts. The inspector praised my driving. Since I was the last of three had to drive to the driving school. It had a steep incline in the entrance, and I was cocky from my driving, took it smooth. In the second gear. And the car stalled . There goes my driving test (had costed two months of my salary for the classes/tests). He told me to park in the available slot, which I didn't as it was marked for handicapped, and had to wait for atleast a minute before another parking slot opened. I was all dejected and waited for the results to come on screen. To my relief, had passed the test!!! Though, on second thoughts, when the car stalled, I subconsciously switched off the A/c before starting the car again, which might have scored brownie points for me.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks