Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 12:14   #1

Driving with a U.P. temporary registration in Delhi

Hi Guys,

Not an active poster on Team-BHP so pardon my intrusion.

I picked up a jeep compass 1.4 Petrol S Model this week and today and tomorrow being a holiday, my RTO registration is pending and I don't have an RC or number for my car yet.

This is not a problem in my Tier II U.P. City, but I have an event to attend in Delhi this Saturday and I was looking forward to driving my new Jeep on Yamuna Expressway.

I tried to google for the relevant laws, but not being a lawyer, I am unable to clearly understand if I am legally permitted to drive in Delhi with a temporary U.P. registration or not.

Any advice from experienced members will be much appreciated. Also, in case it is permitted, any circulars or notices that I can carry with me to present to the cops in case i am stopped and questioned.

Thanks.
Karan
Old 15th October 2021, 01:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving with a U.P. temporary registration in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan.ag View Post
I picked up a jeep compass 1.4 Petrol S Model this week and today and tomorrow being a holiday, my RTO registration is pending and I don't have an RC or number for my car yet.

This is not a problem in my Tier II U.P. City, but I have an event to attend in Delhi this Saturday and I was looking forward to driving my new Jeep on Yamuna Expressway.

I tried to google for the relevant laws, but not being a lawyer, I am unable to clearly understand if I am legally permitted to drive in Delhi with a temporary U.P. registration or not.
Since UP is on VAHAN system, I am hoping that dealer should have issued you :

1. Temporary Certification of Registration (system generated)
2. Road Tax payment receipt (system generated)

If not, ask the dealer for these. Then get that temporary number affixed on vehicle by a local number plate shop.

Carry these documents, vehicle insurance and original/copy of the vehicle invoice issued by dealer (proof of date of purchase). You shouldn't face any concerns in Delhi.

For reference, I am attaching screenshots that I found on internet.

Driving with a U.P. temporary registration in Delhi-temp-rc.jpg

Driving with a U.P. temporary registration in Delhi-road-tax-receipt.png
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 02:20   #3
BHPian

AFAIK, No, you aren't allowed to drive a vehicle with temporary registration out of state.

Quoting the section 43 of Motor Vehicles Act 1988

Quote:
Notwithstanding anything contained in section 40, the owner of a motor vehicle may apply to any registering authority or other authority as may be prescribed by the State Government to have the motor vehicle temporarily registered and such authority shall issue a temporary certificate of registration and temporary registration mark in accordance with such rules as may be made by the Central Government:
Provided that the State Government may register a motor vehicle that plies, temporarily, within the State and issue a certificate of registration and registration mark for a period of one month in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.
It clearly states that a temporary registration allows you to ply only in the state where the registration has been issued.

Apart from being troubled by the police (who might leave you if you offer them some dusshera bakshish ), your insurance will become invalid and the insurance company has full right to deny you a claim in case your car suffers accident or theft in Delhi.

Highly inadvisable to do this.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 15th October 2021 at 02:23.
Old 15th October 2021, 05:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
AFAIK, No, you aren't allowed to drive a vehicle with temporary registration out of state.
Must be some old rule definitely, currently even Temporary registration is done online and should be valid across the country. Only thing to ensure is to have the proper number plates and not sticker or paper type as those will be invalid. I

have personally driven across multiple states on Temporary plates and no one has bothered. Regarding Insurance, it’s a fact that the claims are usually processed only with permanent RC.
Old 15th October 2021, 06:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars with a valid temporary registration can be used across India to the best of my knowledge. As mentioned above, use proper number plates and you are good to go.
Old 15th October 2021, 12:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving with a U.P. temporary registration in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan.ag View Post
Hi Guys,

Not an active poster on Team-BHP so pardon my intrusion.

Down South, Dealers do not deliver vehicles without RTO registration & Vehicle Number Generation.

Avoid the travel you mentioned, in an un-registered vehicle.
You may be stopped by Cops in DL.
It is a well-known offense.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/77009228.cms
Old 15th October 2021, 16:11   #7
BHPian

Re: Driving with a U.P. temporary registration in Delhi

You can travel with temporary number plates. Temporary registration charge is 2000 I believe and is valid for 30 days. I bought my car from Noida, travelled in Delhi for a few days and registered in Dehradun after 15-20 days. The important thing is to gets temporary registration certificate and number plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks