Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Which State has the best Highways in India?
Andhra Pradesh 6 1.12%
Arunachal Pradesh 0 0%
Assam 1 0.19%
Bihar 0 0%
Chhattisgarh 1 0.19%
Goa 6 1.12%
Gujarat 61 11.34%
Haryana 4 0.74%
Himachal Pradesh 4 0.74%
Jharkhand 3 0.56%
Karnataka 30 5.58%
Kerala 6 1.12%
Madhya Pradesh 2 0.37%
Maharashtra 9 1.67%
Manipur 0 0%
Meghalaya 2 0.37%
Mizoram 0 0%
Nagaland 0 0%
Odisha 3 0.56%
Punjab 8 1.49%
Rajasthan 66 12.27%
Sikkim 1 0.19%
Tamil Nadu 270 50.19%
Telangana 24 4.46%
Tripura 0 0%
Uttar Pradesh 29 5.39%
Uttarakhand 0 0%
West Bengal 2 0.37%
Voters: 538. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 16:45   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which State has the best Highways in India?

Voted for Tamil Nadu and the best section of road I truly enjoyed driving on was while travelling between Bangalore and Chennai. This is a stretch of road where you really miss having a powerful car with good driving dynamics. I have only driven the Brio and Swift on this stretch of road.

Among the ghat sections I have driven on till date the drive to Kodaikanal is what I have enjoyed the most.
Old 16th September 2021, 21:25   #107
BHPian

Voted for Karnataka.

I recently did a 1200 km roadtrip : Bangalore-Chikmagaluru-Udupi-Coorg-Mysore- Bangalore.

Roads (mostly hilly) were in very good shape throughout. Udupi to Coorg stretch was amazing, mostly through jungle. We started at 8 pm and reached Coorg at midnight. That was my best driving experience ever. Very good road surface+sufficiently wide for a hilly road+jungle+rain throughout+Civic AT+my college friend+pitch dark outside+very less traffic. It was a perfect recipe for a road trip.

From Mysore palace, we went to Chamundi hills. It felt like driving in some foreign country - runway like surface+proper marking all over+cleanliness+amazing weather.
Old 17th September 2021, 00:23   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn’t perhaps be able to pinpoint a state with the best highways but would certainly be able to pinpoint some stretches of absolute bliss, both surface wise and in terms of scenic beauty. Some of the most prominent ones which come to mind-
1. Agra-Lucknow expressway is the most prominent that comes to the mind first.
2. Noida-Agra Yamuna expressway or for that matter the Eastern/Western peripheral expressway as well.
3. Brahmapur-Srikakulam although little clumsy now because of construction work but the views of Chilika and the subsequent drive is wonderful.
4. Siliguri-Sevoke-Dooars-Alipurduar stretch of NH 31 remains one of the most scenic stretches across the country.
5. ECR road from Chennai-Pondicherry should feature among the favourites for the sheer driving pleasure of going by the sea.
6. Puri-Konark marine drive road is again one sweet stretch although marred by some speed breakers and rumble strips.
7. Guwahati-Shillong bypass-Jowai bypass is another blissful drive and provides some stunning picturesque vistas and which passes by the beautiful Umiam lake.
8. Itanagar-Sagalee-Pakke Kessang-Seppa is one of the most beautiful stretches in the whole country with magnificent landscape. The valley views across this stretch is just postcard worthy.
9. Anything around Salem, how can I miss Tamilnadu when that state tops the poll
10. Pathankot-Dalhousie is another wonderful stretch of National highway.
11. Another road which is a pain for some but I like very much is the Sela pass-Tawang stretch of National highway in Arunachal Pradesh.
12. Gorubathan-Lava stretch of the highway in West Bengal counts amongst the beautiful stretches as well.
All in all, may be some states have better number of national highways but most of the states have better roads these days. The highways have come a long way from the two lanes that we used to traverse earlier. Most importantly, many states have wonderful state highways and that’s the most heart warming part.

Adding some pictures:

Part of NH31 passing through Dooars
Which State has the best Highways in India?-444b5e8c22e44ee2ac7d8f082c3f9c9f.jpeg

Puri-Konark Marine drive
Which State has the best Highways in India?-1d5b553515534fcab61a0a519c0cb2ad.jpeg

Sevoke road from Siliguri towards Sevoke
Which State has the best Highways in India?-300fb0cfad6a43c8a597ec30231f7c3e.jpeg

Stretch from Sagalee-Pakke Kessang, Arunachal Pradesh
Which State has the best Highways in India?-8e894a4cafab482fa68806d25744d0c3.jpeg

Gorubathan-Lava stretch in West Bengal
Which State has the best Highways in India?-2a172b889bc34f028d8c8d37293c9675.jpeg
Old 17th September 2021, 00:34   #109
BHPian

My experience is limited to KA, TN, KL, Western AP and TS.

I cant comment enough on AP/TS, however from numerous trip logs of others it seems to be a mixed bag. The roads, I've been on have been good, but I've heard many arent.

KA - Though the major highways are mostly in great shape, the interior roads are a hit or miss. Not all towns have bypass and small-town roads have understandably poor surfaces. For E.g. While driving to Madikeri, the Periyapatna stretch throws up a lil surprise. So, though most of the roads are good, you'll need to watch out for that odd broken road. One more issue in KA roads is the presence of many unmarked speed breakers. Speed breakers are common everywhere, but I have encountered more unmarked ones in KA.

KL - If you want to torture someone, make them drive from Kasargode to Trivandrum back to back. Simply the worst driving experience, narrow roads, rough patches, no reflectors or dividers at many stretches, no directions or boards in many important intersections, rogue bus and mini pickup truck drivers, Auto drivers still living in the 60s taking a full U without looking left or right, and what not!!! 4 lane stretch between Trichur and EKM is a relief, but is full of traffic. Again, EKM - Cherthala and Kottiyam - Attingal and some stretches in Palaghat are relatively peaceful. Some roads are so narrow, you'll need to pull a measuring tape out to check if your car will pass! Once I did the TVM - EKM stretch at night, because I was extremely tired after the drive from Bangalore the previous day, and was in no mood to go to war with the evening traffic, we started at 11, and the entire route there was a parade of Container trucks at least 60-70 of them, to overtake each one was a pain in the wrong place! Finally made it in 4 hours, hating myself, the car and this world!

BUT, the ghat roads, especially in Kottayam, Idukki districts are usually good, w.r.t to surface, (width and traffic etc are issues all across the state) considering the amount of rain that lashes these areas, I've faced minimal issues in the High Range.

KL would get some votes if the Roads were rated based on the scenary around tough.. Anyone who has driven in the High Ranges, Forest areas, or any of the roads near sea or backwaters would vouch for this.. Some roads are just awesome, and suddenly road surface and potholes don't matter any more, Kollam - Edathua - Varkala seaside road is an example.

TN - NH quality is good, nothing outstanding, good surface, low traffic density, can hold good average speed, most towns have a bypass. This is comparable to many states, but what stands out for me is the smaller SH, and MDR also have pretty good surface, markings and reflectors. 90% of the times, which I have ventured into really interior roads very rarely I've encountered something that's pothole-riddled, and that kind of reduces your overall anxiety during a trip also lets you take alternate routes if needed.

Hence Voted for TN.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 12:33   #110
BHPian

I have experience driving in Maharastra, Karnataka (extensively), Tamil Nadu Andra Pradesh and Telangana. I have absolutely loved driving on Tamil Nadu roads. The road to Kodiakanal and Chennai from Bangalore are some of the best roads in the country. Every single town or crossing has a proper flyover to avoid accidents and unnecessary congestion. Even the national highway connecting Bangalore to Pune was amazing at one point of time, its now plagued with multiple bridges under constructions and road widening (maybe completed now).

But the new favourite road has to be the road from Chitoor to Tirupati. The 70 odd kms stretch is an absolute treat to drive on. I drove on that road about a month back and hands down its the best road i have driven on in India. Here are few pics from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Which State has the best Highways in India?-skoda-1.jpg  

Which State has the best Highways in India?-skoda-2.jpg  

Which State has the best Highways in India?-ap.jpg  

SedanGuy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 15:38   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedanGuy View Post
But the new favourite road has to be the road from Chitoor to Tirupati. The 70 odd kms stretch is an absolute treat to drive on. I drove on that road about a month back and hands down its the best road i have driven on in India. Here are few pics from the trip.
This stretch was one of the biggest surprises for me when I did it in June. It is one beautiful road.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed