Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which State has the best Highways in India?
Andhra Pradesh 6 1.12%
Arunachal Pradesh 0 0%
Assam 1 0.19%
Bihar 0 0%
Chhattisgarh 1 0.19%
Goa 6 1.12%
Gujarat 61 11.34%
Haryana 4 0.74%
Himachal Pradesh 4 0.74%
Jharkhand 3 0.56%
Karnataka 30 5.58%
Kerala 6 1.12%
Madhya Pradesh 2 0.37%
Maharashtra 9 1.67%
Manipur 0 0%
Meghalaya 2 0.37%
Mizoram 0 0%
Nagaland 0 0%
Odisha 3 0.56%
Punjab 8 1.49%
Rajasthan 66 12.27%
Sikkim 1 0.19%
Tamil Nadu 270 50.19%
Telangana 24 4.46%
Tripura 0 0%
Uttar Pradesh 29 5.39%
Uttarakhand 0 0%
West Bengal 2 0.37%
Voters: 538. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 15:38   #61
BHPian

Re: Which State has the best Highways in India?

I am not going to vote here coz , My travel (by road) experiance is limited to KL, TN and KA. I have rode to Ladakh , but those were the "pre 4-lane" boom.

from this limited experiance, I would prefer to vote for TN. However, the lack of discipline and too many wrong side use of the Highways is a minus point in TN highways.

Kerala Highways are non existant, but it is greatly engaging and at times you can consider that as a good thing for an enthusiast. You are never bored of straight lines and low to zero traffic. you are always on an alert. (sorry , that was sarcasm)

Now keeping aside the highways, no one cames close to ghat roads as much as Kerala. They are beautiful, scenic, windy, fairly well maintained and in plenty.
Old 11th September 2021, 15:39   #62
BHPian

Given the sheer size of our Country, (and how little of it each one of us would have covered), a simple poll like this might not constitute a rational measure.
For example, I voted TN because the roads there are fabulous, compared to the downright atrocious roads in Kerala. But since I have never driven further up than Maharashtra, I would not know if, for example, the roads in Gujrat or WB are better than those in TN or worse.
I wish we had a form in which we clicked the state whose roads we have traveled, and then rated the roads there from 1 - 10
KANNURAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 15:40   #63
BHPian

Among the states of Karnataka (home), Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telengana, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Goa, and West Bengal (home) that I have driven, the award for best highways undoubtedly goes to Tamil Nadu.

Gujarat and Karnataka will take the 2nd and 3rd places.

The quality of highways in a state is a reflection of not just the National Highways in it (which are maintained by the Center), but by the effort taken up by the respective governments to improve the road network, by either constructing and maintaining good quality state highways, or by proactive land acquisition with adequate incentive, for both National and State Highways.

The above 3 rank holders are a testimony to this, and so are some others above, whereas West Bengal (my original home state) will come last in this list, because until very recently, the only good highways there were the National Highways, more specifically, those that are part of the Golden Quadrilateral or East-West Corridor.
Old 11th September 2021, 15:58   #64
BHPian

TN for sure, and not just because I'm from TN. I have lived up north in UP for 5 years and have had some genuinely traumatic roadtrip experiences in UP and Bihar. Kanpur-Jhansi once took 9 hrs for 200 odd kms. Patna-Gaya took 7 hours for 180 something kms.
Was on a breakfast ride today morning and went on the Dindivanam-Pondicherry route for the first time. What a beautiful stretch with some sublime tarmac!

I have also traveled extensively around Rajasthan, Gujarat, Punjab, HP and Uttarakhand. The two states which stand out in the north are surely Gujarat and Rajasthan which had great highways. Having said that, the main difference, in my purely subjective opinion is that even the smaller state highways and backroads in TN have been quite good, whereas in most other states(GJ being an exception), going off the highway almost always leads to umpteen stretches of bad roads.

Last edited by pavanmadhini : 11th September 2021 at 16:00. Reason: Wanted to add something.
Old 11th September 2021, 16:11   #65
BHPian

I Can tell you for the Worst i.e. PUNJAB. You can open Side by Side poll for the worst too.
EVEN NH44 Joining Delhi to Jammu is in the worst condition in PUNJAB.
It is perfect till Haryana and becomes so pathetic in Punjab that you will wonder if it is NH44 or local road.

During my last visit, I found Rajasthan has the Best roads than other states maybe because of very little traffic.
Old 11th September 2021, 16:17   #66
BHPian

Not voting because of not much experience outside the southern states.

TN highways are mostly good and reliable but I’m surprised it’s topping the poll. Maybe because of its generally good State Highways network too. Except for couple of black holes (Tiruvannamalai dist. and Kaveri Delta districts), roads are good and take you to places quick. Kaveri Delta highways have finally seen some light and will be good in 3-4 years.

But TN is a laggard on future expressways probably because of the success of the current highways. The state citizen’s minds have been poisoned against expressways and there is this line of thought that the current highways are good enough and expressways are just another ploy to toll, remove minerals or the conspiracy theory of the day. The state requires 4-5 expressways at minimum going along its length and breadth and that will keep the state highly competitive against other states for decades.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 17:00   #67
BHPian

Voted for TN. I had travelled Across TN, KL, KA extensively, while quiet a little in MH and AP. I would like to point out few reasons and facts for TN to have good roads among whole INDIA.

* Every district of TN is a large city and not like MH which has few big cities and numerous small towns.

* TN districts are not interconnected with abundant Trains like you would find in the northern parts of INDIA, especially day time trains. TN was the most neglected state to get good trains from the Union Government. While there are atleast 20 trains connecting Ahemedabad - Mumbai in the MH, TN's top 3 main districts has got less than 5-10 trains connecting. Example, Madurai - Chennai has got 6 trains passing from southern districts to chennai of which only 1 connects direct from Madurai to Chennai in the night and in the day respectively. The same apllies to coimbatore - chennai where coimbatore get more passing trains from Kerela to Chennai. South of Madurai does not carry any big industries, hence it was less populated. Delta or east coast of TN is also not industrialised and even now its economy is based on agriculture.
Note 1: Introducing 1 new train affects the business of minimum 12 private busses plying in the same route! So none of the TN party showed interest in bringing up new trains.
Note 2. Profits from Train goes to Center, Profits from Busses goes to State transport and private bus owners!

* Historically every ruling party members of TN owned many private Bus Transports filling the transport demand caused due to lack of trains. TN Government dumped more funds for road projects to aide the road transportation infrastructre. This helped the politcial lobby busses to reach their destination faster, help their favorable contractor to get road projects to gain monetary benefit, what not. End result, you get well maintained roads all over TN. My city Madurai has a total of 6 HWs connecting Trichy, Rameshwaram, Tuticorin, Kanyakumari, Theni, Bangalore and all of them are now 4 laned! TN Also has most number of Private Bus operators in the country that depends on Local demand than trourist demand like the ones found around Delhi for Tourism. Our very own State Transport corporation is one of the biggest in the country having numerous connectivity covering every district for 24hours! It also get atleast 2000 new busses annually and retires its old fleet.

Kerela.
Lack of space is the issue with kerela's road traffic, as its surrounded by Western ghats to the west and east by coasts. There is only a small stretch of land space available for residencial, agri and road combined. Moreover Kerela never wish to make new roads by cutting down trees, while TN politician are crazy enough to do so to make new roads and thereby new money.

Northern states .
Train connectivity is cheap, accessible, convinent than travelling by broken roads. Hence governments never showed any interest to develop and spend on Roads. I also feel because of this and industrial corridor, we find more chaotic roads in northern state.

Last edited by jeganatu : 11th September 2021 at 17:27.
jeganatu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 18:43   #68
BHPian

Having driven in UP, Rajasthan and Punjab, I can safely say that the highways of Rajasthan are the best amongst the above followed by UP and distantly Punjab. However, when it comes to expressways, UP, the land of expressways is the best. Also, these expressways are scattered and being developed all across the state and not not specific regions.
Old 11th September 2021, 20:24   #69
BHPian

Hi
I've planning to drive to Mumbai-Udaipur next week to have a tiny break. Thanks to Bhpian's traveling on this favorite route, there's a dedicated thread to plan the journey (Link) (Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries)

Would anybody know of any decent (high on hygiene) overnight stay options closer to the highway, preferably after Samlaji/Kherwara area, just in case if the usual traffic bottlenecks in Bharuch / Godhra-Modasa bypass area ends up eating more time than usual?

I'm asking this as I have to be in Kumbhalgarh the next morning. So I can have any overnight stop-over anywhere between that, as long as it's clean and preferably comes before the sun sets, as I don't prefer driving at night.

TIA!
Old 11th September 2021, 21:09   #70
BHPian

I’ve driven only in these states :-
1. Punjab
2. Himachal
3. Haryana
4. Rajasthan
5. Uttar Pradesh
5. Uttarakhand
6. Maharashtra
7. Jammu and Kashmir (it was still a state when I was in India. So mentioning here)
So voting on my experience driving in these states. I would say, Rajasthan have the best roads but I believe Himachal have best connectivity. Despite being a mountain province with very harsh terrain and unpredictable climate conditions, it’s highways and local roads are well connected to small villages too. Kinnaur, Lahaul Spiti are prime examples. So voted for Himachal. And it’s the state where I enjoyed most while driving.

Last edited by Bhalla : 11th September 2021 at 21:14. Reason: Added text
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 22:15   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Gujarat and Rajasthan are the best, no doubt. I'm surprised to see TN leading, although the roads are smooth and well laid out, where are the goddamn dividers and lane discipline ?!
Old 11th September 2021, 22:33   #72
BHPian

Voted for TN. Amazing roads with quality restaurants. In love with road tripping in TN listening to beautiful Tamil songs and enjoying filter kappi. My second favourite from the list I travelled is MP with smooth and scenic roads( travelled extensively in MP in the last 2 years and most of the roads are good)
I have driven only in MP, AP, MH, KA, KL, TN, UP, DL

Last edited by greyhound82 : 11th September 2021 at 23:02.
greyhound82 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 23:01   #73

Having driven across 11 states in India, TN definitely has the best highways without a doubt. Not only are the roads scenic but the ride quality n pleasure is incredible with the minimal tolls as compared to say MH or AP.

I did say KA is a close second with RJ but then KA has less traffic n lesser intersections.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Assam; Jorhat to Dibrugarh highway in Assam is spectacular n well maintained through some beautiful landscapes.
Old 11th September 2021, 23:45   #74
BHPian

I have driven extensively in Rajasthan & Haryana & also done some bits in MP, UP & Uttarakhand (excluding Punjab & J&K as it was done more than 5 years ago).

Though UP has improved a lot but until the work is finished on the Hapur - Moradabad traffic jam prone section, they still won't be counted as the best.

The highways have been the best in Rajasthan for many years now & were a dream to drive until the govt. lowered the max speeds on it. Now it is a torture to drive on open 6 laned highways on 80 KMPH.

This is the reason, I'm not voting in favour of Rajasthan.
Old 12th September 2021, 00:03   #75
BHPian

Voted for UP

I have driven in many states including PB, HP, UK, UP, RJ, GJ, GA, KL, BH etc.

As per my experience UP has the best highway as I’ve never came across any better highway than the Yamuna Expressway. I think it’s one of the kind in our country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks