Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which State has the best Highways in India?
Andhra Pradesh 6 1.12%
Arunachal Pradesh 0 0%
Assam 1 0.19%
Bihar 0 0%
Chhattisgarh 1 0.19%
Goa 6 1.12%
Gujarat 61 11.34%
Haryana 4 0.74%
Himachal Pradesh 4 0.74%
Jharkhand 3 0.56%
Karnataka 30 5.58%
Kerala 6 1.12%
Madhya Pradesh 2 0.37%
Maharashtra 9 1.67%
Manipur 0 0%
Meghalaya 2 0.37%
Mizoram 0 0%
Nagaland 0 0%
Odisha 3 0.56%
Punjab 8 1.49%
Rajasthan 66 12.27%
Sikkim 1 0.19%
Tamil Nadu 270 50.19%
Telangana 24 4.46%
Tripura 0 0%
Uttar Pradesh 29 5.39%
Uttarakhand 0 0%
West Bengal 2 0.37%
Voters: 538. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 10:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Which State has the best Highways in India?

Along with this poll, we should probably have the poll for "Worst highway state in India", which will be pretty contentious.

Best highways I believe are in TN. The worst I believe are in Kerala. If you drive from Coimbatore to Munnar or Madurai to Munnar, you'll notice a stark change from clearly asphalted highways with markings, into treacherous pothole riddled roads. Then I know I have crossed the state border .
warp_10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 11:04   #47
BHPian

I am surprised that TN got most votes. May be that the "goodness" is purely to do with the tarmac quality. My experience in driving TN has been very stressful. Wanton, and absolute disregard for rules, and wrong side drivers on all highways, that too on high speed right side lanes. It beggars belief. Maybe it has improved now. As everybody has mentioned, this is very subjective and is based on individual experiences.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 12:22   #48
BHPian

From what I have observed, Karnataka state highways don't have consistency or smooth interconnections.
Its state highways are notoriously narrow at few places - unique Karnataka gauge - like Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur and in few peripherals around Bangalore outskirts. The width is such that it is risky to overtake any 3/4 wheeler at speed > 40 kmph.

Tamil Nadu state highways are much better in general (there are honorary exceptions there too, like Tirupathur-Chengam while going to Pondicherry from Bangalore). Most stretches are a real delight though - like Arani-Gingee or Hosur-Dharmapuri - they are well marked & have reflectors at most places.
Old 11th September 2021, 12:46   #49
BHPian

I voted for Odisha. I have lived and travelled across most of the roads down south and TN comes very close second.

Most state highways of Odisha are in a great shape and very less traffic.

The worst would be MH, UP and Bihar
Old 11th September 2021, 12:48   #50
BHPian

Surprised to see TN at top of the list.
Though there have been recent road maintenance works and relaying of existing road network, still road markings and signages are nowhere near industry standards. From the south of TN especially, the general quality of SH has been below average in comparison to north and west TN districts.
Many signages highlighting "SMART CITY'" have been erected at various points within cities but the quality of roads within corporation limits is pathetic (Tirunelveli district).
The cost we incur at toll booths(along NH) is exorbitantly high when compared with other states. A distance of 150kms (Tirunelveli - Madurai NH 44) would cost you approximately 250 INR one way ! That's just ridiculously expensive.
Is this the same with other states? If there was poll with the most expensive toll booths along NH, I'm pretty sure that TN again would top that list.
Also the trees/vegetation along highways are poorly maintained in TN, IMO.
Old 11th September 2021, 12:50   #51
BHPian

I have travelled around Maharashtra in bike (was in Pune 2007 -2011). Highways were OK with some really great stretches but decent overall. Personally I would rate the view from the highways as best in MH compared to other states. That florescent green hills in the monsoons are something you don't get in many other states. Remains my personal favorite. But once you cross the highways and go bit interior, it was terrible, at least a decade back.

Apart from that I have travelled extensively in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and South Andhra. Also, not extensively but driven few times in Delhi & also as a Passenger in UP, J&K, Uttarakhand and Himachal. Will summarize my experiences.

Kerala has the best ghat roads but has one of the worst highways. Very narrow and also scary (Their local bus and auto drivers can compete with F1 drivers). Nothing personal against the state but I found the locals also bit hostile to outsiders. But God's own country nevertheless.

The next in the worst I have seen was in UP when I went from Delhi to Saharanpur. I was tired listening to the honks and everyone wants to overtake the other person. I was even asking my family members in Delhi, 'Why is everyone in a hurry ?'.

Karnataka is a very underestimated place. It's beautiful and almost on par with Kerala with excellent greenery and some really nice roads (Pun Intended). But highways are still a work in progress.

Tamilnadu road infrastructure has improved considerably over the last 10-15 years. Even most of the small towns/ villages / remote areas have a better infrastructure. Highways are very good in most places and I feel the reason for that is because there have been numerous industries coming in to the state over the last many years and the road infrastructure is very important for efficient logistics. And these industries are spread across the state rather than just concentrated in specific areas like in many other states.

With No Bias I have Voted for TN. I wish there is more greenery along the highways like in Karnataka to please the eyes.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 12:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
The cost we incur at toll booths(along NH) is exorbitantly high when compared with other states. A distance of 150kms (Tirunelveli - Madurai NH 44) would cost you approximately 250 INR one way ! That's just ridiculously expensive.
Is this the same with other states? If there was poll with the most expensive toll booths along NH, I'm pretty sure that TN again would top that list.
Also the trees/vegetation along highways are poorly maintained in TN, IMO.
I have always felt the same, that there are way too many toll booths and too much toll collections in TN compared to other states.

But I hope things are going to get better from here.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85885903.cms
RaghavEvoX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 12:57   #53
BHPian

Did not vote for any state...

Have driven in all the southern states along with Maharashtra and MP. For most part, the 'Good' Roads were short lived (may be good for 1 to 2 years). After that, there is no maintenance, markings fade away/disappear, service roads are encroached, sudden rumble strips/bumps appear, etc...
For me, roads are 'Best' when, at any point of time, you get the same best experience.. maintenance/road condition does not depend on government, contractor, weather, vehicle load, etc

From the roads that I have drive on, only couple roads come to mind to be the 'Best' - Hyd ORR and Dharwad - KA/MH border highway. (May be to early, but Hampi expressway)
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:06   #54
BHPian

Voted for TN. Not just because am from the state. I still curse the politicians for the way the city roads are maintained every now and then. But when it comes to highways, TN is the best. Not just National Highways even State Highways which are 2 lane are very well maintained.

If you don't trust me, come visit the state. I don't want to point out one particular route and tell you that TN is best because of this route. Take any route to connect any city in TN, you will not regret. I have been to most of the states listed here and especially the ones which are leading the poll (excluding RJ). TN still is the best when it comes to Highways.
Old 11th September 2021, 13:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

I voted TN because it is the best of the few states I've driven on (others being Kerala, UP, Haryana and Himachal) but based on what I've heard from my friends, I was expected Gujarat or Rajasthan to be the leading states. This is mainly because TN has been lagging behind in the development of expressways especially outside Chennai with the sole Chennai-Salem expressway under construction being marred in land disputes. However, the national and state highways in general are pretty good and amongst the best I've seen in India.
Old 11th September 2021, 13:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Voted for TN with limited view on highways in North India. Though KA has some great highways like the BLR - Pune but the state highways are pretty bad in KA.
Worst of the highways are in Kerala. Even the express ways in Kerala has multiple signals and thus increasing the travel time. Surprised KL has 3 votes
Old 11th September 2021, 13:43   #57
BHPian

Wish we had a filter that showed us how many BHPians live in which states. This would let us take out bias of people voting for states in which they are based or close to (and would have therefore travelled extensively on).

That said, I'm sure there are a large number of BHPians based in Mumbai, and yet Maharashtra (as of posting this) has only 4 votes.

I think most of the Maharashtra residents must have voted for Gujarat.

Glad to know other MH residents agree with me that our MH road infrastructure is extremely sub-par.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 14:33   #58
BHPian

As someone who has often driven from Bangalore to Kochi via Coimbatore, Bangalore to Trivandrum via Salem-Madurai/Tirunelveli, and made countless visits to Pondicherry from all these places, and a few to Chennai, I happily state that Tamil Nadu has the best highways.
The only complaint was the Trivandrum-Nagercoil stretch which has now been taken care of to a large extent.
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 14:39   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience is limited to TN and MH.

My vote goes to TN. Not only the highways, but even the remote rural roads are well paved and nicely maintained.

Which State has the best Highways in India?-20210911_051038.jpg

Even the deserted forest area roads are brilliant

Which State has the best Highways in India?-20210724_112414.jpg

Rural roads
Which State has the best Highways in India?-screenshot_20210911145038_instagram.jpg

But the highways are the best!
Which State has the best Highways in India?-screenshot_20210911145419_instagram.jpg

While I agree that TN has the best highways, I must also admit that we have the most senseless road users, specially at the intersections connecting villages to the highways.

You can maintain crazy average speeds (easy 120 kmph average speed) but you are also at the highest possibility of risk here.

I used to do Trichy to Tambaram in 2 hours and 45 minutes (310 km) in 2010. Now the same takes 4 hours no matter what. Blame the tolls and increased vehicle density.

Even today Trichy to Madurai is just a little over an hour (130 km). Trichy to Dindigul (100km) is very easily doable in 45 minutes. You will be surprised to be seeing dozen Innova crystas cruising at 150 kmph consistently over those roads any time you travel. Doing 100 kmph would seem rather very slow on those roads. Trichy to Tanjore is another blissful route, so is Trichy to Pudukottai. I have covered all 4 directions and it applies everywhere in TN.

Again, I am just talking about the quality of highways and not about the quality of traffic or road sense of the people. When it comes to road sense, we suck.

TN also happens to be the state with most Number of toll plazas. Anyways, glad to drive over well laid, properly marked and consistent all over.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th September 2021 at 15:08.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 15:03   #60
BHPian

I belong to Rajasthan but spent 8 years in Gujarat and 02 years in Chennai. Have done trips across Gujarat, Rajasthan & Tamilnadu extensively. I think overall Rajasthan has best highways. Gujarat & Maharashtra were considered as best some years ago but now other states have improved a lot. In Gujarat, interior roads like from Dwarka to Somnath via coastal roads were in bad condition. Tamilnadu has good roads but traffic is more. Overall, Rajasthan would be my favorite pick with good roads with less traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks