Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 09:10   #31

Re: Kerala MVD / Transport Commissioner says helmet-mounted cameras are illegal

This reminded me of this forward in Bangalore KTM bikers group

Kerala MVD / Transport Commissioner says helmet-mounted cameras are illegal-e8fefd9a008643b3b8af76df06c2c08b.jpeg
vencat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
What a delight. I'm so glad my taxes pay for such sophisticated thinking and governance. Simbly excellent!
======
I think we should just ban bikes. And YouTube.
The original point still stands. Claps and bangs weren’t done to ‘cure’ anything. Simple morale boosting measures which were unnecessarily politicised because some people just can’t stand the ‘gormint’.

On the topic of commuted cameras, have there been any changes in the rules? Or is it just another case of teamBHP members getting unnecessarily riled up at unconfirmed or deceptive news?
tat_tvam_asi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTAutoMad View Post
Agree that the notoriously corrupt Kerala MVD (others will say which state MVD isn't?!) could be getting the jitters due to these helmet-mounted cameras.
That's a gross overstatement. Kerala MVD is the least corrupt among the southern states, with Karnataka leading the corruption and malpractices list. The erstwhile combined Andhra Pradesh MVD also used to have monthly collection targets for all their MVIs. This led to regular checkpoints at either side of HITEC city only to levy fines on out of state registered vehicles. However, they were far more civilized than their Karnataka counterparts.

Also one common thing with KA, TS or even TN is that if you have the right kind of agent, then you don't need to even visit the licensing authority to get a driving license. I've personally had an incident at Attapur RTA in Hyderabad, where I went for license renewal without an agent. Right in front of the MVI's office, one agent challenged me that if I don't go through the agents, they will fail my written test for learners. I raised a formal complaint with the RTA officer and thereafter the agent was not to be seen anywhere.

Compared to these, I've had very courteous and professional engagement with the MVD in Kerala. I agree that they do tend to go overboard with their anti modification laws, but then some of the mods that you see on our roads make it impossible for an official to compare the actual vehicle to what is mentioned in the registration certificate.

Now back to the topic at hand, it is clear that the MVD guidance in KL is targeted towards a certain section of society, who everyone agrees is a pain point at this time. I'm a keen viewer of many of these Youtube channels and some of the stuff they do on the roads and the kind of toxic following they have garnered is outright ridiculous. Their dangerous and attention seeking stunts need to stop at any cost. Maybe this is one such step to nip it in the bud, like someone earlier said, MVD will ease off once things regain normalcy,
autotranny is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:00   #34

A lot of Youtube videos coming from such cameras/car dashcams capture the true colors of the "lawmakers". Taking bribes, harassing the riders/drivers, using excessive force - just to name a few of the moments captured.

No wonder most of the time the first thing that you get to hear in a video from a policeman is "Switch off your camera" :-)
At_blatantly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

A more recent article says MVD is thinking of implementing this rule but nothing official as of yet.

But they do say that people who use helmet cams to showcase their speeding or rash driving on road for the sake of online hits would be penalised.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 and Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 apply to the entire country. There is no law banning such cameras in helmets.

Else such over enthusiastic, knee jerk reactions fail to stand legal turbulence once challenged in a competent court of law.
While there are provisions to avoid such arbitrary rules coming into legal effect, this discussion will not hold water when the cops stop "offenders" to collect fines. I recall when the "Ban" on window tints was enforced by B'lore cops who just flashed a piece of newspaper cut out to people who challenged them.

Kerala police should take a cue and ban knifes, as they can make people murdery.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:47   #37
BHPian

As far as I know , This news is fake. MVD mentioned that the youths with helmet cams are more inclined to show offs and stunts and it should be controlled. But the news paper quated it out of context (as they always do) . There is already a lot of hate going against police force recenly on their strict control on people movement due to the pandemic. The newspapar is just cashing on the mood of the people.

There are two kinds of youtubers. The one who goes about his work decently. Then there is another section of idiots who try to create content by breaking rules and attaracting attention. They know that with these click baits as headings, they can get more views.

Check out this news .

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...ambom%20police.

If the police and MVD are behind these kinds of people, then they have my full support. The kid did not even have a License as per the report.
nettooran is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 14:14   #38
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
I think this is the result of the earlier accident where a youth died in a bike accident and the police recovered a helmet mounted camera that was filming his bike speed which was in excess of 140kmph if I remember correctly.
After reading the news from the Link really felt bad and we are to be blamed.
Am not under anyway defending the rule on the ban of Cameras on Helmets.

But whether we tend to agree or disagree the birth of such ingenious rules comes due to our fault only.
Even being an avid Biker I hate the idea of stunts on public roads.

Lot of flyovers in India have banned 2 wheelers since they drag race and someone eventually falls off with gruesome death.

Apologies if I have hurt the sentiments of anyone but this is hard truth.
Old 13th August 2021, 14:47   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Lot of flyovers in India have banned 2 wheelers since they drag race and someone eventually falls off with gruesome death
I think most bikers agree that dangerous riding is not a great idea and would support the police aggressively cracking down on dangerous riders.

The problem is 'blanket-ban' measures like this. Why can't the cops/MVD go after the specific people breaking the law instead of banning everything that has the potential to be abused and harassing people who haven't done anything wrong? I think that will be the only point of disagreement. Most people are certainly against risky riding and dangerous stunts on public roads. And that is undeniably a problem, but a 'complete ban' option has become the default option to solve anything.

Last edited by am1m : 13th August 2021 at 14:51.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 17:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
As far as I know , This news is fake.
There are audio recordings of people calling up various MVD offices, and all of them have responded that they have no information about any such bans. Until the MVD comes up with an official release, I think it is only a rumour.

@Mods: The Team BHP Facebook post regarding this issue is filled with plenty of hateful comments, including several "commie vs bhakt" comments. Till the MVD comes up with a clarification, I would request you to take down that post.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 01:39   #41
BHPian

An official release is imperative with the noise this is making.

Have come across multiple videos in Kerala where bikers wearing webcam were stopped by police. These cops are by default hostile against bikers, especially the ones riding touring and superbikes. The camera is a hurdle for a juicy extortion. This holds true everywhere.

The over speeding linked to camera is a half assed excuse. Most people use dashcams in cars because it offers proof. I've read a story here where 2 hooligans in Bangalore had a road rage episode with an out of state BHPian and it was caught on the latter's dashcam. The clowns were caught and warned strictly by the police thanks to the proof.

With bikes, I feel we have a lot of vloggers. Is there a percentage of rash riders who happen to have helmet mounted cameras? Yes. What about the rash riders without the cameras?
Old 14th August 2021, 06:54   #42
Team-BHP Support

Have heard about 3 [different] riders crashing [have seen the video], sometimes into others while trying to be a You-Tuber .

While I do not agree to this rule by Kerala MVD, we also have to accept that there are few riders who in order to get more views or a better video, tend to focus less on the road, resulting in a crash, worsens if you crash into someone else too.

What does the MVD do, do a blanket ban as they had done for sun-film.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th August 2021 at 07:44.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 08:31   #43

There are actually quite a few YouTube shorts and Insta Reels taken by bikers with cameras on their helmets which expose the double standards of the MVD towards the high and mighty as well as pointing a finger to how they themselves flout the rules. Since the tide has now turned against the ebulljet guys, they would want to do away with this as well since you never know - some day, some random bit of GoPro footage could open a can of worms for the MVD! Better to nip it in the bud while the public opinion is in their favour!
Old 14th August 2021, 08:33   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

The police force in India is only around 2.7 million strong giving us a ratio of police per 100,000 population of an unbelievably low ~20 to a lakh of people. UK that number is 211 per lakh. USA is 206. Canada is 187. Even China is at 143 per 100,000. Our police force is so undermanned by several times that it isn't even a joke. That is why they are left with no choice but institute blanket bans. There are simply not enough police to monitor on a case by case basis especially given that some of them are forever needed for VIP duties and some are busy filling their pockets.

While Team BHP members may by and large be inclined towards these bikers and super bikers the ordinary citizen {me included} is largely not. These vloggers are a nuisance and a danger to themselves and others. I can't buy the argument made by some that let the police first apprehend all the other two-wheeler riders violating rules before they come after us vloggers. The road is a public property, like a garden . If you wish to use it follow the rules and don't justify your mis-conduct. Likely this won't be a popular view on Team BHP but I believe I speak for the silent majority.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 08:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRaw View Post
With bikes, I feel we have a lot of vloggers. Is there a percentage of rash riders who happen to have helmet mounted cameras? Yes. What about the rash riders without the cameras?
BHPians who ride carefully (or some who ride rashly at crazy speeds but have better reflexes) are a tiny minority.

Most of the vlogger types are going to be rash with no particular biking skill, and focused on stunts for video clicks rather than keeping their eyes on the road.

So on the balance, the MVD will definitely elect to inconvenience this small minority of bhpians and crack down on unsafe behavior by the vloggers.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks