Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 19:41   #1
BHPian

I lost my 25000 km of driving due to Covid | How to regain it?

March 13th 2020, the day I last drove to my office and its the same day I lost my happiness aka traffic, honking, chases, signals etc., My monthly average during the pre-covid days was around 1600 KM's and added with some highway drives, I lost my 25000 KM's of driving . My jazz has been hardly driven for 1500 KM's between the first and second waves and she is hesitantly resting looking at the road.

So, what and when should I plan to regain those lost KM's? and what is the mileage you lost in this situation?

PS - I am happy that, I saved this nation some 1200 Litres of Diesel.

Last edited by saisree : 11th July 2021 at 19:43.
saisree is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 19:56   #2
BHPian

re: I lost my 25000 km of driving due to Covid | How to regain it?

My situation is the opposite. We bought our first car back in June 2020 and since then I have clocked ~10000 km. Without the pandemic situation, we wouldn't have bought a car at all. I should also add that we have not been irresponsible tourists visiting crowded places - most of the kilometres clocked were visiting relatives over the period.

I believe you could still go on weekend (long) drives to keep yourself and the Jazz happy.
gischethans is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:13   #3
BHPian

The best and befitting way to regain those 25000Kms is by planning for a pan India or even a India - Nepal - Bhutan round trip. If you are up for it, you can try a trip to London and back. The forum has many such travelogues for your inspiration
nagr22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Temples in general have been relatively free during this period. Tiruchendur being the only exception. Overall we've clocked close to 19000 kms from March 2020 till date. One trip to MP contributed 4000, a Shirdi trip added 3000. Remaining were done 500 km radius from Madras. These were with 6+3.5 months downtime in the 16 months timeframe we are talking about.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 00:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Plan a long trip once the lockdown eases depending on where you live. Possibly do get yourself vaccinated and follow all protocols before the same. Take a drive to those destinations you wanted to see. If the intention is to gain miles there are other ways too.

The not so good ways:

1. Look for guys who tamper with the odometer. They will be surprised though that you want a higher reading

2. Rent it out to cab firms or ride sharing app. One can gain some income on an idle asset, though the car will age super fast.

3. If state limits are closed and cant travel far, find out one of those dyno-roller places (not sure if that is the term). They can be fun I hear. Sharing a video of the same below :

The Good ways:

4. Track Day Try checking out if some local tracks are available for renting out. One can gain some track driving experience and know their rides better on the same. Always stay within permissible limits though.

5. Volunteer. With the current situation, pretty sure a lot of volunteers and running around will be required for the same. If you have free time check where you can sign up.

Last edited by TrackDay : 12th July 2021 at 00:40.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 07:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

You seem to be complaining like some folks I know who have not completed their allocated mileage in the leases in the US.

When safe, take advantage of a 'Staycation' and travel around India
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 09:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

You should find ways to catch up with others and complete those 25k asap. I don't think it is difficult is it ?

Dude, time doesn't come back. You are not the only one. It is the norm than the exception that people have not been able to step out over the past year or so.

@Landcruiser123, +1

Last edited by Aditya : 12th July 2021 at 18:55. Reason: As requested
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 09:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
My jazz has been hardly driven for 1500 KM's between the first and second waves and she is hesitantly resting looking at the road.

So, what and when should I plan to regain those lost KM's? and what is the mileage you lost in this situation?
This is sad, not the way to treat a diesel engine.

Anyhow, please find a hobby that involves going places - pretty sure you`ll find some use for the vehicle.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 09:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary I am happy that I do not have to deal with the horrible traffic day in and out. The lost odo reading will be gained on some trips that I am planning for the rest of the year. The money saved on fuel (in grinding traffic) can be happily spent on fuel for highway drives. I think I saved around 60K since last year.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

You didn’t have to face crazy traffic and broken roads. No dodging bikes, rickshaws and cattle. No hunting for parking spaces. And you had a direct cash saving of a minimum 2.5L at an underestimated operating cost of Rs 10 per km. Take the win, man!
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 11:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

With fuel prices what it is, I don't think we'll be going anywhere soon either. It looks more like the Government is already set to regain lost revenue more than us trying to regain lost kms and I am not going to help them easily with that.

I am glad I have a diesel car at present, not because diesel fuel price is slightly lower, but because if I drive economically, I can keep increasing the fuel efficiency, especially on highways.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:02   #12
BHPian

The fact that your car clocked less kilometres during this period is an indicator of the fact that you have been responsible and haven't been travelling unnecessarily. Kudos to you for that!

With cases still rising in some states and predictions of a third wave, might be a good idea to stay put for now - Let things get better, you will have enough opportunities to make up for the lost miles. Maybe a drive to Leh-Ladakh if you want adventure, a drive to Rajasthan if you want to check out the palaces, a drive to Agra if you want to get a click with the Taj-Mahal - the possibilities are endless.

On a lighter note, you could simply drive to your nearest used car dealer and ask him to use his odo-tampering skills to use, but in reverse.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 07:25   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: I lost my 25000 km of driving due to Covid | How to regain it?

Quote:
I lost my 25000 KM's of driving . My jazz has been hardly driven for 1500 KM's between the first and second waves and she is hesitantly resting looking at the road.

I am happy that, I saved this nation some 1200 Litres of Diesel.
1200 liters = 120000 rupees in the pocket. My suggestion:

- Spend 50% of that on sprucing up your car. Better tyres, better speakers or better rims?

- The balance 50% on road-trips. How about a month-long staycation in Goa? You & the Jazz will both be happy .
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 08:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt it a good thing that you stayed home and didnt venture out in these pandemic days saving yourselves from getting infected with Covid. Its a real pity that your could not drive all these days. The best ways to regain the lost kms is to start on smaller runs maybe an day outing to the nearby attraction provided there is no lockdown rules from the govt. Choose the ones which dont attract huge crowds. Once there is a window where you can travel longer distance, plan accordingly and move. No point in self pitying.

To keep my car running, I do visit my office which is a good 25 kms away every weekend. Just drive see the building let out a huge sigh and then return.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 22:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
I believe you could still go on weekend (long) drives to keep yourself and the Jazz happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
The best and befitting way to regain those 25000Kms is by planning for a pan India or even a India - Nepal - Bhutan round trip. If you are up for it, you can try a trip to London and back. The forum has many such travelogues for your inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The best ways to regain the lost kms is to start on smaller runs maybe an day outing to the nearby attraction provided there is no lockdown rules from the govt.
Some interesting tips there. I really like venturing out and just started scratching the family. Staycation in Goa is an awesome idea and definitely a good try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
To keep my car running, I do visit my office which is a good 25 kms away every weekend. Just drive see the building let out a huge sigh and then return.
This was my plan too, but unfortunately, my company released the lease and its all WFH. Eagerly waiting for that Sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You & the Jazz will both be happy .
I know why you said this. This is from our Jazz Review thread and mine is a Sunset Orange

Quote:
Goa has its own charm during the monsoons. Take a look at this beautiful spot we found. New sunset orange hue is striking...and the designated shade for Honda's marketing campaign:
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks