Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2021, 19:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Thanks, I take that as a compliment

OP asked an interesting question and he even made a scale model of his situation. So I presume/hope he will make use of the tool and show us how it is done.
Thanks Karthik for the very detailed reply.

I was aware of Ackermann Steering Geometry and went through some "Steering Dynamics" articles just out of curiosity. Being from a non-automobile background, couldn't proceed much. Thanks for the link you mentioned. I downloaded, installed and with no CAD available- could not proceed further. Let me take this up with my cousin who is aware of CAD.

Also let me check out navigating the way you have mentioned.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 00:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

The below "paper model" shows the parking to scale. i20 is 13.10 feet long and 5.82 feet wide. Right hatched area is adjacent parking. The small hatched area is the pillar and I have 10 feet space till I hit the vehicle in the front parking space. The rectangle in my parking is the car. I have more than enough length to park my car in my parking slot.

The question is - when all the parking slots are completely occupied, will I be able to take out my car - mathematically? Pythagoras theorem says NO.
You an engineer? Driving isn't all about calculations but also an art. You are being nervous. You have been doing good till date, continue it. For the time being here is a tip. Park your vehicle in your slot from left side and exit also from left side. If reverse parking then also from left side. Although anecdotal but it is the easier way to park and exit in tight spots. Attaching a paint diagram for your reference.

Meanwhile if society permits glue a black 8 mm black foam on the pillars. The foam is too cheap, iirc 20 rs/metre and the height is 2 feet. Glue price is 200 rs litre. You will find it any decent upholstery shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-car-parking.jpg  

Last edited by Sran : 18th July 2021 at 00:59.
Old 20th July 2021, 20:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Oh Mathematics! escape!

I have a nice looking covered parking space but design is bit funny. I have to consider a pillar, step, roof coverage, width of the parking space, wall, and house window when parking anything bigger than a small hatchback.
Old 22nd July 2021, 19:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I reverse park moving into the vacant slot, as of now.
First and foremost, bless you for sharing a wonderfully appealing problem. It cut through many a pointless work meeting keeping the mind fired up

Drawing 'parallels' from backing into a parallel park spot instead of going nose in, reversing gives wonderful manoeuvrability if correctly done. You should get the right spot while coming in reverse to begin your move, the additional agility compensates to an extent for the limited visibility.

My personal take is that a slightly longer car (sedan) might take a few more back-and-forth moves but that need not necessarily shut a BHPian's aspiration for an upgrade. Make sure you don't waste valuable inches by doing lock to lock turns absolutely stationary (not the best practice but a small price to pay). Width of the car seems less of a constraint than the length dimension

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 22nd July 2021 at 20:23.
Old 26th July 2021, 17:43   #50
BHPian

Even if the problem is solved using scientific models, can you park it easily every time? If not it's better to change the parking place instead of becoming Tony Stark each time you want to park!
Old 28th July 2021, 09:15   #51

You have the car, you have the parking spot. Just try it.

If you are parking there since 3 years, not much can change now. If you are stuck ask your neighbours to move their car a bit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks