Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 18:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Attaching the photos...
Is the space opposite your slot, where a white stripe is visible, another parking slot or is it vacant (looks like a staircase/lift landing area)?

Also, with your car pointing forwards in your slot, is the exit to your left or right?

P.S. First things first, install a layer of rubber/foam padding on your pillar's inside edge upto 4-5 feet. Given the proximity, some car-pillar intimacy is inevitable. Rubber rash would be far easier to deal with than concrete.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th July 2021 at 18:11.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 18:10   #17
BHPian

I have a similar conundrum, was about to post the query some time back - but since I am not planning to upgrade my car, held myself back from posting the query.
I recently shifted to my own flat, and the parking lot I chose looks like the below one:

Will I be able to take out my car? Math says no-parking.jpg

The parking itself is big enough to comfortably accommodate a sedan. But the problem is the drive way, the pillars on both sides of the parking and the protruding pillars on the wall opposite to the parking.
I currently own a Santro Xing (2005). With a car that small, I have to move it back and forth a few times to park it properly and not hit any of the pillars.

I was seriously planning to upgrade to a sedan after I take the possession of the flat & save the money I spend on the rent.
But now I think I'll never be able to do so, unless someone teaches me how to park a sedan in my parking.

BTW, I curse myself for choosing the parking lot every time I park or take the car out
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 18:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwal_Aayush View Post
In the 2nd point, you will have to bring your car a little inside your parking bay with an angle so that when you take it out you have enough space ahead.
Yes, I have been doing the same now. See my reply to Chetan below. Incidentally it is how I reverse park now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Also, please consider that some manufacturers quote the width excluding wing mirrors, and some include the wing mirrors in the dimensions.
You should take an exact measurement (with wing mirror folded).
Very true. Haven't checked the actual dimensions yet. I will do this and check When I cut the paper model I went by the dimensions mentioned for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When you try to simulate vehicle movement using a scale model, you should keep in mind that the vehicle doesn't rotate on its dimensional center. It rotates based on the nature and maximum steering angle that is achievable and that too, with only the front axle steering you will have lot of sideway movement of the car.

First is to drive in as close to one pillar and check the possibilities. In my case I have less than 1cm gap between the car and the pillar. This must be preferably done on the drivers side so that you can estimate the steering effort better. Next is to carefully take small steps and assess the situation. If you feel you are taking a chance, then never continue. Stop and call it quits instead of brushing against a pillar and then getting stuck there.
Yes - will do this soon. Planning to buy cones and plastic pipes to judge the boundaries closely and navigate my way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Is the space opposite your slot, where a white stripe is visible, another parking slot or is it vacant (looks like a staircase/lift landing area)?
Aah ! Good observation. That is my savior for now because though that white strip is the passage, the slot next to it is owned by the person who is retired and keeps his scooter there. When parking, as of now, I necessarily have to enter that slot and reverse into mine. So as long he does not give that slot on rent (he will not buy a car - ever) and if all the constraints are in place in other slots, I can at least go into his vacant parking and reverse my way out of the gate. If any car occupies that slot - well, I have to park outside or some other apartment

Quote:
Also, with your car pointing forwards in your slot, is the exit to your left or right?
I reverse park always in the slot as shown in snap 2. The exit is on the right side.

Quote:
P.S. First things first, install a layer of rubber/foam padding on your pillar's inside edge upto 4-5 feet. Given the proximity, some car-pillar intimacy is inevitable. Rubber rash would be far easier to deal with than concrete.
Touch wood - till today I have never scraped against the pillar. Parking Alto earlier was cake walk. I regret my upgrade to i20 now.
Old 11th July 2021, 19:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Touch wood - till today I have never scraped against the pillar. Parking Alto earlier was cake walk. I regret my upgrade to i20 now.
One can't always concentrate, some days one gets home tired and/or distracted, and just wants to park and go quickly. Best to have a little insurance.

Not sure if already tried (or even possible), but maybe try swapping your slot with someone considerate with a smaller car and a more manueuverable slot? There must be Altos/Eons/Celerios in the lot.

Quote:
I reverse park always in the slot as shown in snap 2. The exit is on the right side.
Repeating your parking maneuver in reverse may be the safer option then?

From your slot, drive forward and turn left into opposite slot, reverse right and straighten out into driveway with front facing away from exit, then reverse out all the way?

Quote:
...as long he does not give that slot on rent...
Why not rent it yourself, if it's a reasonable amount? You'll have more peace of mind than all your other alternatives (some of which may cost money, like renting another slot somewhere else). Speak to the retired gentleman and explain your predicament. He may be sympathetic.

Another thought: Is his slot more maneuverable than yours, and will your car fit in it? If so, why not propose a swap?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th July 2021 at 19:20.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 19:20   #20
BHPian

You can park easily. Just that you have to practice a couple of fore and aft moments and loads of patience. Your muscle memory will help you further. You can further add a marking using chalk or a distinct paint when you have the right angle space.

I would recommend you to reverse park, so that, you drive away easily and do not need any maneuvers during emergency. If you are already doing that, then
Old 11th July 2021, 19:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Why not rent it yourself, if it's a reasonable amount? You'll have more peace of mind than all your other alternatives (some of which may cost money, like renting another slot somewhere else). Speak to the retired gentleman and explain your predicament. He may be sympathetic.

Another thought: Is his slot more maneuverable than yours, and will your car fit in it? If so, why not propose a swap?
The owner of that slot, though he keeps his Chetak scooter there and nothing else, has never given it on rent till now nor will swap with some one else. I hope he maintains the status quo
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 19:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have faced this in past when the front side slots had 2 wheelers parked in front of the cars and neighbor had parked the car - all three constraints at a time. The security had to move the 2 wheelers to let me take out the car.
Do you normally exit the way I have described below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
I have a similar conundrum, was about to post the query some time back - but since I am not planning to upgrade my car, held myself back from posting the query.
I recently shifted to my own flat, and the parking lot I chose looks like the below one:

But now I think I'll never be able to do so, unless someone teaches me how to park a sedan in my parking.

BTW, I curse myself for choosing the parking lot every time I park or take the car out
I don't think it will be a problem. You may need to do a forward reverse maybe once or twice, but it should be possible. An example below from a flat I used to stay in and still go frequently. In the actual parking I had, the opposite was the staircase and lift-So basically a wall. But below is also similar.

I need to turn left to exit, but what I used to do is actually start moving slightly right and then do the full left. This will make sure that the car can make a larger curve and the movement to the right will ensure that the rear left will not touch the left front pillar. Even if it gets close, the wide left will enable you to take a reverse for a couple of feet to help complete the left turn. If you go straight and then turn left, it won't be possible to make the turn easily.

By the way, the car is a Vento and the driveway is roughly the same 3-3.5mtr

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 11th July 2021 at 20:07.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a peculiar, but not so peculiar question. When I bought my Elite i20 three years back, some of the adjacent and front parking slots were empty. I could easily enter these slots and park in my slot. Even then I took care not to buy bigger car than my parking slot.
So where do you currently park your i20?
Quote:
The below "paper model" shows the parking to scale. i20 is 13.10 feet long and 5.82 feet wide. Right hatched area is adjacent parking.
Parking doesn't quite work by that kind of calculation. Too many factors (wheelbase, turning radius at full lock, front & rear overhang, curvature of the bumpers, visibility) come into play, and it isn't possible to try and calculate ease of parking based on paper cutouts.
Quote:
The second picture shows that I inevitably have to move a little bit inside the parking in the front just as I escape scraping the pillar and avoid moving into adjacent parking.
Going by your pics in this post and the next, I am convinced that it would be easy to park and drive out your car from that slot. Perhaps you need an expert driver friend to do it a couple of times for you, and you mark the wheel positions on the ground for your reference, and do it on your own subsequently.
Here's where I got to park with very limited space - not even wide enough to accommodate ORVM-tip to ORVM-tip. Missed out on making a video of the entry, but that was slightly more spectacular because of the upslope.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So where do you currently park your i20?
As shown in the snaps, in my parking slot but as replied to Chetan's post, I reverse park moving into the vacant slot, as of now.

Quote:
Parking doesn't quite work by that kind of calculation. Too many factors (wheelbase, turning radius at full lock, front & rear overhang, curvature of the bumpers, visibility) come into play, and it isn't possible to try and calculate ease of parking based on paper cutouts.
Yes I agree. The paper model is not accurate but indicative of the space requirements.

Quote:
Perhaps you need an expert driver friend to do it a couple of times for you, and you mark the wheel positions on the ground for your reference, and do it on your own subsequently.

Here's where I got to park with very limited space - not even wide enough to accommodate ORVM-tip to ORVM-tip.
Yes planning to do that before I run out of all vacant slots to move into.

I had seen your video earlier - just amazing. Can understand the skill required when it was reversed into the parking.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 21:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I reverse park moving into the vacant slot, as of now.
That is the only way the car will fit. Reverse in, and later take it out by moving forward along the same track.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
That is the only way the car will fit. Reverse in, and later take it out by moving forward along the same track.
Seconded! I'm currently in a similar predicament as the OP and have a tough time parking my Polo between two pillars and barely any space in front. The best way (after multiple tested attempts) is to park in reverse and take it out forward along the same track. Very doable and you get used to it in no time.
Old 12th July 2021, 11:16   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes planning to do that before I run out of all vacant slots to move into.
An additional suggestion I can offer is to install reversing sensors on the front bumper corners, with a disconnect switch. That will cost you around ₹1000-1500. So in tight spots like these, you can turn on the sensors and judge how close you are to the wall/ pillar/ adjacent vehicle, and you can turn off the beeping during normal driving in traffic. Such sensors on my Swift helped my wife to park with zero paint damage, for many years.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:22   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When you try to simulate vehicle movement using a scale model, you should keep in mind that the vehicle doesn't rotate on its dimensional center. It rotates based on the nature and maximum steering angle that is achievable and that too, with only the front axle steering you will have lot of sideway movement of the car. Hence, its difficult to judge things based on scale model. Since I park my SX4 in one of the tightest spaces, which we never thought the car would make it into, there are a few things that can be considered.
It doesn't matter "how" the movement occurs, inorder to reach the position indicated in the 2nd pic by OP - that particular position, avoiding pillar on the left rear and the edge of the parking to the right middle, whilst having a clearance from the obstacle in the front left - is impossible - no matter if the wheels and steering of the car is replaced with caster wheels on an office chair. The second pic is a geometrical impossibility.

The real question is, does the car need to go into the position indicated in the 2nd pic ? if yes, it's impossible without breaching atleast one of the constraints (pillar on left rear , neighbour slot boundary corner on right middle and whatever is the obstacle in front left).

Last edited by venkyhere : 12th July 2021 at 22:23.
Old 12th July 2021, 23:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

If you have to ask, it’s better avoided.

Driving is not as accurate as mathematics and you are bound to make minor variations resulting in a scrape here or there.

Then there’s the stress on the steering system and the clutch both of which will wear out far more faster than it should as you will only be able to move very slowly to avoid mishaps.

Pick up a car which doesn’t require you to discuss the Pythagoras theorem to park your car.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 09:27   #30
BHPian

One of my flatmates has a Terrano and is in a similar/slightly worse situation compared to you. He has a wall in front and a City parked next to him. He has managed to take out his car each day with a lot of difficulty. He says he is used to it and parks outside if he has to take his car out again. You should be able to do it if the car in your adjacent slot doesn't extend to the corner.
the_joker is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks