Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2021, 15:43   #1
BHPian

Impractical West Bengal RTO Rules during the pandemic

The pandemic did bring everything to a stand still in 2020 and in case of Senior Citizens the challenges were even more as it confined them at home to a large extent.

It was in these times, that I came across this touching video :

However, now coming back to the point, it was during these times that the validity of the driving license of my father lapsed in November 2020 and he had missed the renewal date since he was not moving out of the house anyways due to the pandemic.

Recently, when the same came to his notice, he asked me to get the same renewed from the said authorities who mentioned the following :
  1. Levy of penalty since the License is overdue for renewal
  2. A driving test will be required, only after which they will reissue a new license
Point number 1 - Understandable and not questioning the same
Point number 2 - Are they serious to call a 70+ aged person for a Driving Test by exposing them to the VIRUS ?

Is it justified of the Motor Vehicles Department (at Beltala/ Kolkata) not to amend the by-laws from time to time; specially during the time of this pandemic where Senior Citizens are most vulnerable to the Coronavirus irrespective of the vaccination being in place or not ?

I am presuming that there must have been many such cases in different RTO's across the country where driving licenses must have lapsed/ fallen due for renewal. Do share your inputs on how did you go about it and what is the best way to go about it in my case.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 06:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Impractical West Bengal RTO Rules during the pandemic

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 08:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Point number 2 - Are they serious to call a 70+ aged person for a Driving Test by exposing them to the VIRUS ?
Summarising - license has expired and needs to be renewed, Upon applying, the RTO asked the 70 year old applicant to undertake a driving test. Happy to be corrected.

My dad is 71 and his vision isn't what it was 10 yrs ago, his reaction time has also gone up. Even for youngsters, there is a provision in the law, wherein, you are asked to take up training or redo the test when you break the law multiple times. The law is reasonably balanced.

Only those who are fit to drive should be allowed to drive. We know how dangerous an unfit driver can be to other users of the road. COVID or not, nothing wrong in the RTO asking for a retest. In addition, GOI extended validity of vehicle related documents, DL included, by 4-5 months. Here is the link to it. They've done their bit.

Last edited by vinu_h : 27th April 2021 at 08:56.
vinu_h is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 09:20   #4
BHPian

On the on the contrary I think that older people with not so sharp reflexes and vision cost less accidents than young hot blooded kids with extreme reflexes behind the wheels. Ultimately it depends on the driver. Person who has been driving for 50+ years should definitely not require a retest especially in the current Covid situation. No one in their right state of mind would allow seniors citizens to roam around government offices during a pandemic.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 09:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
On the on the contrary I think that older people with not so sharp reflexes and vision cost less accidents than young hot blooded kids with extreme reflexes behind the wheels
Is there any data or research done to prove this statement. Any statement not backed with data will remain an opinion. I respect your opinion but, data proves that as it ages Human reflexes would blur and reflexes is one of the important parameter that determines the driveability.

And therefore, there is nothing wrong if officials ask a 70+ aged person to take driving test.

Now coming to visit to RTO during pandemic.

Very pragmatically speaking, if the person can drive the car anywhere else for various other reasons during pandemic, he can drive to visit RTO to take driving test as well during pandemic.

I am being very objective here because, extending DL cannot not a sentimental decision given that it may harm both the driver and people on road
gkveda is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Levy of penalty since the License is overdue for renewal [*]A driving test will be required, only after which they will reissue a new license
I am sure the license is still valid till end of June.

Asking for driving test for 70 plus person is very logical.

In my late forties now, I am quite a different driver than what I was twenty years ago. And am little scared too with the kind of traffic and drivers that we see today. So a driving tests will help both the parties to conclude on the capabilities.
fordday is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, now coming back to the point, it was during these times that the validity of the driving license of my father lapsed in November 2020 and he had missed the renewal date since he was not moving out of the house anyways due to the pandemic.
MorTH has issued a statement extending the validity for all documents expired between 1st Feb 2020 and 30th June 2021.

I used to drive with an expired PUC for some time and my uncle has an expired license (expired sometime late last year). Cops also are aware of this and once you tell them, they understand.
blackwasp is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was in these times, that I came across this touching video :
https://Youtu.be/qTUC45w6fg8
By the way does anyone in this forum or their loved ones have this 'E' sticker on their cars ? Is it okay to do so or will this be another source of revenue for the cops ? I am interested in getting it done for the senior citizens in my family, although I doubt other motorists will understand what it is for !
Old 27th April 2021, 12:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
As per the advisory issued by MoRTH, driving license which have expired since 1st of Feb 2020 or would expire by 30th Jun 2021 will be treated as valid till 30th of Jun 2021

Impractical West Bengal RTO Rules during the pandemic-dlnotiication.jpg
truezealous is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 13:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Best course of action would be to wait for the pandemic to subside and then re-take the driving test and get the license, as its not very urgent right now.
arvind71181 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 15:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I feel for your dad. My father was banned from driving by his doctor, after he was diagnosed with a medical condition which would hamper his ability to drive safe. After decades of driving, my dad was understandably grumpy and used to complain a lot about the "injustice" of it all. One late night, I drove him to a deserted road and asked him to take the wheel. After hardly a minute of driving, he pulled over, nodded his head and and I drove us back in silence.

There is a very valid reason why more frequent driving tests are required as we grow older.

On a related note, once upon a time, we used to get these booklets as driving licenses, before they switched to the debit card types. Prominently printed on the back side of those booklets was this:
Impractical West Bengal RTO Rules during the pandemic-old-driving-license.jpg
RedTerrano is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 20:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Impractical West Bengal RTO Rules during the pandemic

Quote:
Is it justified of the Motor Vehicles Department (at Beltala/ Kolkata) not to amend the by-laws from time to time; specially during the time of this pandemic where Senior Citizens are most vulnerable to the Coronavirus irrespective of the vaccination being in place or not ?
Few points here:

1. I am sure you have visited the Beltala RTO and seen how they operate. From a 'gorment' office point of view I think RTOs/Motor Vehicles are the worst. You go there and ask someone something and they wont even look at your face, let alone give you a polite response. So expecting them to amend their by-laws just for COVID is plain day dreaming.

2. If there is something written in a central government law, there is nothing you can do - COVID or no COVID. And then, there is nothing they can do. Simple.

3. I would suggest you to wait. We are in a crisis and driving license renewal may not be the most important thing right now given the risks attached. Let the pandemic end and then get the renewal done. Even visiting the RTO to get the formalities done "without a driving test" through an agent will involve risk.

The RTO is not putting the elderly at risk by asking them to take a test, it is us putting our lives at risk by choosing to get the renewal done despite the crisis. So I dont see any fault of theirs. I cant believe I am siding with the RTO here. Again, they are the worst.

Last edited by Pancham : 27th April 2021 at 20:34.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am sure you have visited the Beltala RTO and seen how they operate. From a 'gorment' office point of view I think RTOs/Motor Vehicles are the worst. You go there and ask someone something and they wont even look at your face, let alone give you a polite response. So expecting them to amend their by-laws just for COVID is plain day dreaming.
So I dont see any fault of theirs. I cant believe I am siding with the RTO here. Again, they are the worst.
While the people in RTO have not changed much, there have been a lot of improvements in their process with the advent of Parivahan. Refer to examples on the DL renewal thread. I was able to renew my out-of-state DL in Bangalore without the help of any agent and in a single visit. Another bhpian from Trivandrum renewed the DL without even visiting the RTO (Dropbox provided to submitted physical form after online submission).
Old 28th April 2021, 19:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Asking for driving test for 70 plus person is very logical.
Not logical at all. A medical certificate should do. I am 72 and from 75 I will need to carry a medical certificate with me when I drive until I am 80. Before covid I used to drive 30,000 km a year.

I still have my heavy vehicle licence for trucks and busses but valid for 1 year each time. I need a medical certificate to renew it. My class A and B licence is valid until 100 years of age but will have to renew it at 80 years with a medical certificate.

Just a few years ago a 99 year old man lost his driving licence because he failed a Cognitive Ability Test at his doctor. He failed because he could remember a series of letters and numbers. This test has since been discontinued.

He enrolled at a driving school and passed his test. Last time I saw him, he was 103 years old and driving a brand new Volvo S60.
Indian2003 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:34   #15
BHPian

[quote=AJ-got-BHP;5051532]

Hello AJ Sir !!
Please don't feel frustrated as You cannot do anything about these typical "Sarkari Babus". I think one department in WB which hasn't improved in services in Mamata Banerjee's tenure is the WB RTO. It remains lethargic, corrupt and indifferent as always.
I had to sell my beloved 2007 Zen Estilo as I couldn't get the PUC Details registered in the RTO Records hence the PUCC couldn't be done despite maintaining it in Top shape. I kept it well enough to be used for another 5-7 years easily but had to sell it as keeping a Car with faulty documents will only invite harassment from cops.
Anyways your Dad will start driving only when pandemic recedes so you need to wait for things to fall in place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks