Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 09:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Overspeeding ticket for 60 kmph speed on a highway!

I wonder if TP walk around with a portable blank speed post & write down a number comfortable to them just before planting it and then position themselves a km from there. How often does one verify if a speed post is genuine or not ?

Gmaps doesn't have a location based speed limit notification feature. Do we have any local apps that do ?
Old 31st March 2021, 10:39   #62

It's a terrible nuisance to be very honest. The traffic police and the rules across the country are so bad. They simply use it to fill the coffers.

Have experienced similar incident, paid once and was stopped again for overspeeding (was going at 50kmph) was told my license would be seized, I argued and the cops relented but was made to pay a Rs. 200 fine for breaking signal

Tried raising this issue to traffic police - no response.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st March 2021 at 10:42. Reason: please use smileys from the forum only.
Vir_707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:37   #63
BHPian

This problem is there everywhere. There are places on the Mysore-Madikeri stretch before Hunsur (after passing the turn towards KR Nagar) where the official speed limit is 30 kmph. Its a completely empty stretch and almost all vehicles (incl. Police vehicles) would be doing 60-80+ kmph there. If the opportunistic traffic police want to maximise revenues, they can setup a speed trap there and all vehicles including their own would be paying up fines.

Even on the Mysore ring road which is a 6 lane road with service roads on either side, there are many stretches where the official speed limit is 30-40 kmph. How scientific and safe is it to go under 30 kmph on a 6 lane ring road? Some of these signs were put up when the road was under construction. Nobody bothered to update them.
sharc_biker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:54   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post

He said the speed limit on that particular stretch is actually 40 kmph and even though I am not overspeeding in actual terms, it is technically overspeeding and I am liable to pay a fine of 1000 bucks for the offence! C'mon. He said there are speed limit boards beside the highway, which I am not sure. I have never seen/noticed such boards all these years.
I too was fined on this stretch. Maybe 8-10 years ago. For doing 60 odd kph. I remember seeing a 30kph signboard on this route and have always wondered why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
One thing that did not irritate me further was the politeness of the cops. The cops never used the infamous "police language" during the entire duration of the event.
Absolutely. The guys who fined me were almost apologetic. and they told me the locations of other patrol vans that day, so that I don't get fined anymore
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:58   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Thankfully it's not a cumulative offence. We must learn to look at the bright side to drive in this country :-)
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:01   #66
BHPian

This is a national problem to all bikes and cars on road, center decided some limits and make it a law and states can override those laws and make shift the speed limits as per their wish.
This can only be seen as a revenue generation to government but nothing else now.
Old 31st March 2021, 17:43   #67
BHPian

This is happening all over Karnataka and especially in Bangalore. The traffic cops have monthly collection targets (under the table type) and they have become desperate in recent times due to Covid19.
There aren't many vehicles on the road due to most employees working from home for more than a year already. Less vehicles, Less Violations and Less income.

During pre-Covid times, in Electronic city flyover, we used to see cops with speed guns very rarely. But, nowadays, they are stationed there all the times during the day to catch unsuspecting drivers.
Their target is mostly outstation vehicles coming from TN.

The speed limit was 80Kmh 2 years back. They have brought down that to 60kmh last year.
Interestingly, I have never seen them checking speeds of vehicles coming from silk board towards Attibelle on the other side.
Old 31st March 2021, 19:44   #68
BHPian

This is a topic which always boils my blood whenever it comes up or when I travel nowadays. Absolutely true that these illogical limits have taken the pleasure out of driving & instilled a fear of being fined just for driving within the optimum limits for the ever-improving engines in modern cars.

For highways, whenever a new one is being constructed, the Govt. says that it will reduce the travel time between the two locations & for this we’ll have to pay toll for using the highway. And now, when we try to maximise the value for the money paid, we are fined by the speed gun wielding cops !! It is Double Loot in my opinion.
Sometimes I think that there is no point of buying a new vehicle as it would pick speeds up quickly & would easily violate the illogical limits !! Better to stick to the older one & save money on both counts !!
What’s the point of having newer better cars with better engines & better safety features when we can only drive them slower than ever before, better buy an old jalopy Amby etc. & maintain it as a vintage car !!

The situation is very grim in Rajasthan also. Someone in some deptt in the state govt. has put up limit signs on the entire stretch on the Jaipur Delhi Highway within the state which is a 6 lane mostly straight road. What used to be a smooth flowing highway has now been reduced to a snarling congested road with everyone going slow.
And these dirty tricks are not confined to only this highway, these harassment & extortion toys have been provided to every police station on every state highway as my cousin spotted one in the middle of nowhere on the secluded Jodhpur Jaisalmer highway !!

Either it should be made illegal to put speed traps on toll roads or toll should not be charged at all !! We shouldn’t be robbed with both hands !!

Coming to limits within the city, during the rush hours, as it is, the traffic crawls in almost all our cities. And otherwise too, the govt. instead of decreasing, should increase the speed limits when the traffic increases as it would move more vehicles per minute at a particle point, reducing congestion. But when can we expect logical decisions by the govt. which helps the general public ?!

Sometimes when idle, my brain storms on solutions to this problem & I think of how can I get hold of the coating used on Stealth Fighter Planes so that I can apply it on the whole front side of my car & escape this govt. sponsored extortion.
ScorpioYadav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:08   #69

This is what can be seen on many highways. The highway from Ajmer to Delhi sees different speed limits on similar sections of roads. Coming from Ajmer to Jaipur, for one section the speed limit is 90, for another it is 100 and then it is 80. Also, small sections in between where there are towns or cities have lower speed limit boards.
To further complicate issue, the older boards do not seem to be removed. So, you will first see a board with 100 speed limit, then within few minutes another one with 60 marked in a red circle. Always confuses me as to which limit one should follow.
The Delhi-Meerut expressway being built is a new road and is fantastic, but has speed limit of 70. The newer express ways like Eastern/Western Peripheral have limit of 120.
It seems the speed limits have not been updated since the older times even though the cars and braking capabilities have come far from before.
What would make sense would be to make all highways of a minimum standard in terms of quality and set a standard limit of 90/100 on all of them.
Old 15th April 2021, 06:44   #70
BHPian

Question for the forum members, appreciate if you can share your opinion here.

Got a Rs 1000 challan for driving 60 kmph in a 50 kmph zone last month in Delhi. It was for my Skoda Rapid. Would have gladly paid the challan if I were guilty of speeding, except I was WFH that day and didn't even step out of my apartment. Car was parked in garage and no one else uses the car. My parents are too old to drive. I didn't give any duplicate keys to friends or other family members.

How do I fight the challan? And how did this challan even get issued? I am really stumped.

Last edited by no_fear : 15th April 2021 at 06:51.
Old 15th April 2021, 07:16   #71
BHPian

Delhi traffic challan thread may help you out. Many scenarios have been discussed in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ic-police.html (Need help on e-challan ambiguity - Delhi Traffic Police)
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

The Delhi traffic police have revised the maximum speed limit for different vehicles that ply on the road of the nation's capital city. According to a gazetted notice from the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police: Traffic (Mod.), Delhi, the maximum speed limit for all passenger cars have been limited to 70 kmph or less, for two-wheelers it's 60 kmph or less, and for all public and goods transport vehicles the limit has been set at 40 kmph or less. The speed limits will vary based on different roads in the city.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/delh...hicles-2461423
Attached Thumbnails
Overspeeding ticket for 60 kmph speed on a highway!-speed.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 11th June 2021 at 14:06.
Old 12th June 2021, 22:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
The Delhi traffic police have revised the maximum speed limit for different vehicles that ply on the road of the nation's capital city. According to a gazetted notice from the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police: Traffic (Mod.), Delhi, the maximum speed limit for all passenger cars have been limited to 70 kmph or less, for two-wheelers it's 60 kmph or less, and for all public and goods transport vehicles the limit has been set at 40 kmph or less. The speed limits will vary based on different roads in the city.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/delh...hicles-2461423
Most of these sections had speed limits marked as notified now by Traffic department. In fact, in few sections they had pasted stickers to mark the speed limit as such.

However, there are certain sections where the speed limit is reduced immediately to 50 from 70. e.g. - when one is driving from ISBT Kashmiri Gate to Sarai Kale Khan, the speed limit on the stretch behind Rajghat (I guess it's Millennium Depot of DTC) is 70 & the moment you cross IGI Stadium (on Outer Ring Road, behind ITO) it's 50. Then after Bhairon Marg crossing it's 60 . Why can't it be 70 & then 60 till Sarai Kale Khan.

Also the speed limit on DND & the road from Azad Pur to Singhu Border should be 80 instead as the roads are much wider.
Old 28th February 2022, 16:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Pune eway also seems to be have more speeding cameras than usual. For the first time in 5 years i got a speeding ticket for Bhor ghat - 87, speed limit is 70!

Need to really revisit speed limits on entire stretch since spending 2k for every trip is not worth
Old 1st April 2022, 11:13   #75
BHPian

Anybody remember the famous Walayar (Palakkad) - Cochin NH beautiful stretch with insane speed cams every 2-3 km?
Came to know that the Kerala Govt MVD Department had invested heavily on AI speed cam and they are planning to install in all those speed cam locations which has better ability to identify, speed, helmet, safety belt related violations and send Violation Message with image details to the owner as well as the Traffic Police department.
Since the environment in Kerala to start new business is never going to happen, thanks to Work Unions, Harthals, Strike, Tit For Tat Politics from ruling and opposition parties, Bribery, Scam etc they are now heavily investing in ways to increase Traffic Fine collections and increasing Liquor outlets.

By the way, I still have 2 speed tickets which were tagged to my KA registered car back in 2018. I havent yet paid them. Once every vehicle database is centralised then they will start sending the Violation Tickets even to other State Vehicles.

Last edited by susheel_kainat : 1st April 2022 at 11:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks