Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 20:38   #1
BHPian

CCTV Footage: My Innova Crysta ZX AT got stolen in Delhi

My Innova Crysta ZX - Diesel Auto (2016) was stolen from my house at gated South Delhi colony. It took the thieves approximately 7 minutes to do the job. The vehicle was loaded with goods worth 3.5 Lakhs which I was to carry early next morning to Gurgoan.

Curiously the guards at colony gate failed to make note of the entry or exit of my vehicle. The theft occurred at around 12:57AM. We noticed the vehcile missing at about 5:50AM, Police Emergency Number was called 6:00 AM. They came at around 6:30AM. FIR was lodged and wireless broadcast was made at 9:30 AM after repeated request to do so as soon as possible.

I always thought was in the misconception that gizmo loaded electronic vehicles with immobilizer and push start was difficult to steal but it just took them few minutes. It is a self driver vehicle and I never parted with the keys.

This post is request others to be careful. I learnt my lessons most expensive way. Geofencing, GPS, various Locks and faraday pouch are all essentials and please do best to protect your vehicle. Otherwise, being stranded is pain, losing money is pain, suddenly having to buy a new vehicle is pain, Police is pain, RTO is pain, Financing Bank is pain and Insurance is pain.

Last edited by dinesha : 9th March 2021 at 20:42.
dinesha is offline   (195) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 21:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: CCTV Footage: My Innova Crysta ZX AT got stolen in Delhi

This may have been done by the same gang that did the jeep compass.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...len-delhi.html (CCTV video: Jeep Compass stolen in Delhi)

It was speculated that creta that they used may also have been stolen, but here it seems like a Baleno, and I thought marutis getting stolen was really hard.

There must be a new OBD scanner / programmer in town that can register new keys.
govigov is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 21:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
The vehicle was loaded with goods worth 3.5 Lakhs which I was to carry early next morning to Gurgoan.
The thieves ignored the white Innova parked opposite to yours. Coincidence or did the thieves know you had goods worth Rs. 3.5L in your car? If this is suspicious, perhaps the cops should start with the list of people who knew you had valuable goods in the Innova.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th March 2021 at 22:59.
SmartCat is online now   (61) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 23:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
The thieves ignored the white Innova parked opposite to yours. Coincidence or did the thieves know you had goods worth Rs. 3.5L in your car? If this is suspicious, perhaps the cops should start with the list of people who knew you had valuable goods in the Innova.
The white one seems to be a G version as it looks like it does not have chrome window beadings. If its indeed a G then it does not have a smart key like V and Z.
Sankar is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 23:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

So sorry to hear about your loss. As smartcat suggested, maybe questioning the people who knew about your cargo would be a good start.

In a gated communities/apartment complex, I'd assume resident vehicles have stickers and visitors have to make an book-entry with the guards. Is that not the case with your community? Or were the guards an accomplice?
Quote:
I always thought was in the misconception that gizmo loaded electronic vehicles with immobilizer and push start was difficult to steal but it just took them few minutes.
Sorry to burst your bubble - they keyless systems are easier to crack. As you mentioned, many people have faraday pouches to minimize broadcasting the signal.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 9th March 2021 at 23:49.
landcruiser123 is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 08:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The white one seems to be a G version as it looks like it does not have chrome window beadings. If its indeed a G then it does not have a smart key like V and Z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
So sorry to hear about your loss. As smartcat suggested, maybe questioning the people who knew about your cargo would be a good start.

In a gated communities/apartment complex, I'd assume resident vehicles have stickers and visitors have to make an book-entry with the guards. Is that not the case with your community? Or were the guards an accomplice?

Sorry to burst your bubble - they keyless systems are easier to crack. As you mentioned, many people have faraday pouches to minimize broadcasting the signal.

The cargo were all pack in cardboard boxes and were loaded from random places containing electrical and plumbing fittings. Some were loaded from regular vendors and some from my office. I very much doubt that cargo were tracked.

Indeed the silver Innova parked at opposite is "G" version with mechanical keys. It could also be that the cargo tempted the thieves to pick my vehicle.

Ours is the gated colony with only one gate open at night. All the resident have identity sticker in their vehicles. Only one gate is functional at night with closed gate and allowed to pass only after making book-entry of entry and exit. However the entry/exit has been registered for my vehicle or the vehicle used for theft. The guards and the RWA ha no answers except excuses and pointing fingers. Could be sheer carelessness or hand in gloves. Police and RWA are investigating but I doubt of any outcome.
dinesha is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 08:55   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: CCTV Footage: My Innova Crysta ZX AT got stolen in Delhi

Sorry to hear about this, man. Losing a car is like losing a family member. Hope you find her back in good shape.

Quote:
The thieves ignored the white Innova parked opposite to yours.
Thieves usually do a recce before they carry out the theft. This could be either a couple of hours or days before the attack. Dinesha's Innova was already "marked".
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 09:12   #8
BHPian

The visuals still looks shocking even though we used to hear a lot of similar incidents. Hoping that your car will be back soon .

How will be the insurance procedures if we are not able to find the car ?

Also these connected tech in new cars like geo fencing , car finder etc will work in situation like this ?
TorqueIndia is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However the entry/exit has been registered for my vehicle or the vehicle used for theft.
The vehicle the thieves used is captured in the video and the front and rear license plates are in the frame for quite some time. The resolution is low, but there may be a chance that a professional digital image processing firm can extract the license number from the footage. It's a slim chance, the resolution may be too low, but digital image processing tech has also advanced quite a bit. And also a good chance that the car the thieves used was stolen too, but worth a shot and might give some useful information.

Doubt we can expect the cops to investigate to that level, it might be worth taking the footage yourself to a good image processing place and give the cops the license number if it can be extracted from the footage.

First thing to do would be to make multiple copies of the original footage. To send out if required and also to prevent the original copy from going 'missing'...like evidence often does!

Last edited by am1m : 10th March 2021 at 10:05.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:12   #10
BHPian

My condolences.

Hope you get her back soon enough.

[I commented this on an earlier thread, but can't find the option of hyperlinking the comment here. Hence the repost]

Public Service Announcement: My foolproof(kinda) solution after lots of trial and error plus taking advice of seasoned mechanics.

1. If you are parking your car at an unsecured location, never forget to take out all the relays and fuses from the fusebox with yourself. It's a simple plug&play solution and thieves usually don't carry relays with them. Takes 2mins to put them all back. Thieves also don't have the time to troubleshoot cars. By all means, click a pic of the original configuration before removing the fuses and/or mark the fuses.

2. Create layers of hurdles for the thieves to bypass. Never forget a car can also be towed away. Hence install spiked tire locks(ones used by cops at illegal parkings) on diagonally opposite wheels, steering lock, clutch lock and transmission lock(get it fitted at OEM workshop only). All of this hardly costs 5k in total.

A car can't be theft-proofed 100%. Only make the act of stealing time-consuming for the thief so that he moves onto other less-demanding cars.

I can't guarantee that your car won't be stolen, but all these steps=ROI of the thief gets exponentially lower. Just make the car time-consuming to steal.

Non-electronic dumb solutions are the best these days in Delhi. My relatives there have started doing motley stuff like remove relays and use chains for peace of mind.
stallmaster is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 11:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
I can't guarantee that your car won't be stolen, but all these steps=ROI of the thief gets exponentially lower. Just make the car time-consuming to steal.

Non-electronic dumb solutions are the best these days in Delhi. My relatives there have started doing motley stuff like remove relays and use chains for peace of mind.
Additionally, a cheap android phone with high capacity battery (which can last 3-4 days on standby) can also be hidden inside the car, with the location sharing set to always ON. If case the car is stolen, at-least the location can be tracked on Google Map or any third party app.
beast_within is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 11:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
If case the car is stolen, at-least the location can be tracked on Google Map or any third party app.
Thieves scan the entire car for phones/GPS trackers. It's a race against tech.
stallmaster is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 11:26   #13
BHPian

The motorcycle at about 00:56 also seen at about 00:54 , does that entry appear in the entry/exit books ?
raghuram.cg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 16:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The vehicle the thieves used is captured in the video and the front and rear license plates are in the frame for quite some time. The resolution is low, but there may be a chance that a professional digital image processing firm can extract the license number from the footage. It's a slim chance, the resolution may be too low, but digital image processing tech has also advanced quite a bit. And also a good chance that the car the thieves used was stolen too, but worth a shot and might give some useful information.

Doubt we can expect the cops to investigate to that level, it might be worth taking the footage yourself to a good image processing place and give the cops the license number if it can be extracted from the footage.

First thing to do would be to make multiple copies of the original footage. To send out if required and also to prevent the original copy from going 'missing'...like evidence often does!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
The motorcycle at about 00:56 also seen at about 00:54 , does that entry appear in the entry/exit books ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
There was the typing error on my last post.
No Entry has been made of my vehicle or the vehicle used for theft. No entry of motorcycle either.

Pursuing the theft investigation is also tricky now. People tell me that recovering of stolen vehicle will give much heartburn. The vehicle could be severely damaged and may involve lots of running around.

In NCR "Mewati Gang" is quite active in vehicle theft and might have been taken to Bengal elections.

I have started thinking of buying a new vehicle and am considering the new Tata Safari.

For those whose vehicle unfortunately stolen, these are the key things for hassle free insurance claims.

1. Lodge FIR immediately.

2.Inform the Insurer as soon as possible as they are required to be informed within 24 hours.

3. Locate your keys. Both the keys are to be submitted to the insurer.

4. Inform the RTO about the theft along with the copy of FIR. Request them to blacklist the vehicle, transfer the file in safe custody, not to transfer to the said vehicle without the original owner's consent . Request them the copy of the vehicle particular in form 54.

5. If the Vehicle is financed, ask the financer to issue the complete loan statement and issue "Non-repossession letter". NOC in case the loan is foreclosed.

6. Vehicle service history from the authorized service Center along with the Copy of vehicle purchase invoice is also required to be submitted.

7. PAN Card, AADHAR and other identity verification papers along with the driving license.

8. All the above document is to be submitted to the Insurer's surveyor along with written statement.

Once the paperwork is done. Police will file the non-trace report after 21 days of the theft before the local court and local court will pass the final order before the claim is approved and settled.

"Return to Invoice" insurance may not be a bad idea if the local area is prone to vehicle theft.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th March 2021 at 21:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged
dinesha is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 16:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to deduce how can someone steal a car in such a short amount of time.

Is it being done by tapping into the radio frequency signal emitted by the car's key fob?

I wonder if measures like the below could have helped in this case:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ntry-cars.html (Using a copper 'dabba' to prevent theft of keyless entry cars)
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks