Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 18:26   #46
BHPian

Re: CCTV video: Jeep Compass stolen in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Finger print readers dont work all the time even on phones.
If the driver is old in age, he wont have a good fingerprint in first place.
If manufacturers really want they can use something like Hardware or software based RSA SecureID or two factor authentication (which would make it almost impossible to break), Just make the entire system tamper proof and make it difficult to replace even in workshop.

**OFF TOPIC**To connect to our office network, I use a simple RSA SecureID soft token on my phone the way it works is, you open app - enter your 8 digit secret code, based on the secret code - it generates a key which keeps regenerating every few seconds and enter that key in the system all you need is network connectivity or if using hardware based (offline mode) enter your secret key code + hardware based code onto system to unlock.
Sri Vathsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 19:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

It would seem ironical that you can be levied a fine for getting caught on CCTV crossing 80 km/h but nothing happens when you’re caught on CCTV stealing a Jeep Compass.

Actually, it isn’t all that ironical.

In many cases there is an unholy nexus between gangs that operate on a regular basis and certain cops. These Gangs cannot operate regularly without blessings of cops - there are informers everywhere and favors granted for information that is passed on. In this case - the person who forges RTO documents / buys and sells stolen cars / breaks up stolen cars are all known and connected to cops and will pass on information if requested to do so by the right person.

Trouble is that catching these thieves depends on the amount of clout you can put on cops. If the incident involved a rape which caught the ire of the nation, you can rest assured that the entire gang would have been caught in less than a day.

The gang has obviously left a trail that can be used to nab them. There are several CCTV’s all over Delhi - main roads, by lanes, toll plazas etc. So wherever the car is taken, the cops can get them.

However when there is a “business” that is operating on a regular and profitable basis such as this, it wouldn’t happen. Once the right amount of pressure is on though, the gang would be busted very quickly. That is the unfortunate truth.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 23:06   #48
BHPian

Please watch this video. Such a simple way of protecting our cars and soo many of us are not aware of it. Hope this helps others.

av8er is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 23:13   #49

I kinda like the idea of "Kill Switch". Find the wire which connects to ignition, install a switch without which vehicle cannot be started. The switch can be installed at the somewhere hidden location, under the dashboard or under the seat etc. But this can't be used for new cars as it will void the warranty !
Old 6th March 2021, 00:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
In the year 1999-2000 I used to park my open gypsy at VT (CST) station in mumbai and take a train to New Bombay and back.

I had invested in the brake/steering lock.

One day someone had removed the lock and put it on the seat with a note in Hindi saying - KOI FAYDA NAHIN (its of no use).

The lock was picked, not broken. Car wasn't stolen but an ego centric thief wanted to prove his point.

After that I paid of a wada pav seller nearby to keep an eye on my car and set up his stall out my vehicle.
Not related but I lost keys of my house , it had a three lock stainless steel door having three locks and then wooden door with one godrej lock. I called a key maker and to my surprise he open all 4 locks in 10 mins. So using steering lock etc is absolutely of no use if thief is a professional one. Only solution is have proper parking space before you buy car. Incidence of theft from building parking are rarest of rare or even from inside the house. Car parked on road will be safe only till your luck supports.
Steer-safe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 08:16   #51
BHPian

I have been reading a lot about such thefts after I saw this video. Common methods of thefts for keyless cars looks to be:

- Gain access to OBD port, override car security, reprogram keys
- Capture key fob signal and play it back again to operate car. This is called replay attack in security terms

These type of attacks seems to be very novice in terms of computer security and these have been solved for computers & Networks long ago (read decade). There are tons of method using Hardware + software security, things like using Black keys (Nobody knows what security key is programmed once device is out of factory).

What I fail to understand why cars are prone to such attack, given the fact that they use semiconductor chips & software only for such mechanisms. Why manufactures don't follow standard well defined security protocols?

Any thoughts on this will be helpful.
Old 7th March 2021, 06:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
In the year 1999-2000 I used to park my open gypsy at VT (CST) station in mumbai and take a train to New Bombay and back.

I had invested in the brake/steering lock.

One day someone had removed the lock and put it on the seat with a note in Hindi saying - KOI FAYDA NAHIN (its of no use).

The lock was picked, not broken. Car wasn't stolen but an ego centric thief wanted to prove his point.

After that I paid of a wada pav seller nearby to keep an eye on my car and set up his stall out my vehicle.
Damn that made me laugh. I guess nothing beats a gated parking with a guard. Didn't Mercedes advertise their S class as a car which can't be stolen? I think in the 80s or 90s...

Most Viewed