Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 21:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 80 & 120 kmph speed alert system | Brands that implemented it poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Unfortunately, the speed limit warnings are now hardcoded into the ECM, and are not meant to be modified as per the law. .

Nearly all modern cars continue to have this 'editable' control, but this is now independent of the MoRTH-mandated limits of 80 & 120.
In that case, I would find out which speaker makes this sound and cut the wire going to it.

I have already done that to permanently silence the horn that made that ugly "kee kee" moped sound every time I unlocked my car.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 22:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
In that case, I would find out which speaker makes this sound and cut the wire going to it.
Wish it was that simple. As far as I know, there is no separate speaker any more. Everything is integrated hardware and fed directly from the MFD/ECM into the audio output.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 22:36   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The same speaker that will also be generating other alerts apart from this speed warning chime?

Not that easy actually because the speaker is just an output device while the input to it is fed by the ECM/BCM from various functional modules - Door, Key, Handbrake etc.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 00:42   #49
Sen
BHPian

Turning off the speed warnings in my Vento was a piece of cake with VCDS. It wasn't very intrusive to begin with, and I could barely hear it, but it did disable the MID functions until I slowed down below 80, so good riddance.
Old 28th January 2021, 03:38   #50
BHPian

Any way to remove this gong on the Lexus ? Please let me know.
Old 28th January 2021, 07:47   #51
BHPian

My E60 does not have this mandatorily. I guess it's in the new generation cars only.

My JCW on the other hand is a total pain. I have reduced the volume of the gong to the extent possible but all the other irritants including audio volume cutting off remain.
Old 28th January 2021, 10:25   #52
sgm
BHPian

IRRC, the rule came in June 2019.
This is a another reason to deter you from buying a new German The chime is too loud in them, please do check this while doing any TD.
When I was doing the test drives, I found this too annoying on Mercedes cars. You just can't drive over 120kmph as it is too loud and continuous. I was lucky that my car was manufactured before that, so I escaped this trouble. On highways, you keep changing the speeds so often that, it is quite irritating to hear the loud chime every time you cross 80kmph.
Old 28th January 2021, 10:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Wish it was that simple. As far as I know, there is no separate speaker any more. Everything is integrated hardware and fed directly from the MFD/ECM into the audio output.
In my car there is a separate speaker for the chimes - so I think it is doable in some cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The same speaker that will also be generating other alerts apart from this speed warning chime?
Yes, you will lose all warning chimes (door open with key inserted, ignition on etc.)

Fortunately, the door lock/unlock sound was played through an external auxiliary horn. I could simply disconnect it to silence the car during lock and unlocks. Had to do it because the lock/unlock sound was so cheap, it sounded like a moped's horn - a pathetic "kee kee" sound. Even the Kia Seltos has the same sound.
Old 28th January 2021, 10:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately, the door lock/unlock sound was played through an external auxiliary horn. I could simply disconnect it to silence the car during lock and unlocks. Had to do it because the lock/unlock sound was so cheap, it sounded like a moped's horn - a pathetic "kee kee" sound. Even the Kia Seltos has the same sound.
The Security system's hooter is always a separate device, mounted under the hood. Hence this can always be disabled by simply pulling the coupler from the hooter. But all other warning chimes that are heard from inside the car are from another speaker, signals to which are triggered by the ECM/BCM and by pulling off wires from this would mean you may not be able to hear any such warning even if it is not related to the speed alerts.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 12:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It is enough to drive you insane. There are better ways to warn drivers, as other OEMs are clearly doing.

- BMW's 120 kmph warning goes on continuously, and is loud enough to give you a headache. Worst still, at 120 kmph, the music volume remains permanently lowered !
I completely agree, got the chime removed but in the scheduled service right before my trip to Goa for 31st, BMW updated the software and the chime was back and i had no idea since i got the car back late in the evening and left for Goa early next morning.

Got a horrible headache by the time I reached the expressway at around 4.30 am & turned around from the 1st toll

There was no way i could do Bombay - Goa - Bombay with this chime & ended up taking a flight.
shovan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 12:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
The Warning Chime.....in the Civic it’s irritating but it’s okay.

Hope you checked out the vehicle settings in the infotainment system and turned the chime volume down. It is really quite bearable once the volume is set to minimum. And yes, speed warnings do not interfere with the music volume.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 14:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
BMW has merely copied Mercedes. If you remember way back last year I mentioned this in my GLC review:
It would be certainly irritating. Recently in our trip to Coorg in Seltos, the 80/120 speed warning was there but didnt mute the music volume as there in Merc/BMW.
Old 28th January 2021, 14:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I dont find the chime on my Creta obtrusive. I rather feel its like one of those airplane chimes, Seatbelts/other cockpit chimes etc. But I think it is definitely needed.
Old 29th January 2021, 22:19   #59

I think every car sold after Apr 2020 (may be even before) has to have this 'feature' mandatory and No way We can turn it off manually. (My Jeep compass Trailhawk also has this) :(

Yes , It is irritating and only way left out is as somebody already suggested, Override the ECU setting with the help of a tuner, But then Your warranty is certainly under question !!

An ideal implementation would have been, It beeps, say for 1or 2 times over 80 Kmph and stops & let it beep 5 times over 120 Kmph and stops, No continous beeping which can get into the drivers concentration Or disturbing passengers who is at sleep.

In my view, Implementation is done to alert the driver and not to distract/frustrate him.
Old 31st January 2021, 10:38   #60
BHPian

Reach out to Code My Bimmer guys on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/code_my_bimmer/?hl=en

They specialize in fixing these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks