Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2007, 03:23   #16
BHPian

Kph u seem to land in trouble lot of times on ur trip to kerala. Last time i guess u had a bad time when u were travelling on ur BULL
Old 7th April 2007, 08:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thats unfortunate kph, if u think u r right just be adamant and say u r a relative of some high rank police officer and u might end into trouble...

Abhi
Old 7th April 2007, 09:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

Thats an unfortunate incident kph. Two things which saved you, all documents clear + a cool head. I would have lost temper the moment he said I cannot carry any friend of mine in the car!!

@Danlalan: I wouldn't have paid a penny to walk out of this situation. I am sure he did not have any strong case against me and I would have made this cops life hell.
Old 7th April 2007, 09:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

You should have asked for his id card. How can he prove that he is a cop ?
Old 7th April 2007, 12:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha....This is hilarious and more so RIDICULOUS !! I would have just driven off if i were you.
Old 7th April 2007, 13:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Cops can be really funny. In Mumbai it helps you especially if you are a Maharashtrian. Speak in Marathi and get away scot free. An advantage of being marathi helps I guess

An incident happened sometie back. A friend of mine was going with his friend on a bike when they were caught as part of a nakabandi routine check. On stopping, the cop asked him " are u marathi?" the guy said "no" the cop said "come aside" and pulled him over.

Last edited by Dippy : 7th April 2007 at 13:11.
Old 7th April 2007, 14:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Once in 2005, I was stopped in Pondicherry by a cop.
I was travelling with Friends in my car(Mom is the registered owner).
The cop asks me to show the RC and a letter. I asked "what letter?".
Apparently, if u're driving a car which a relative owns,U're supposed to get a permission letter from them and get a seal from the RTO to permit U to drive it.
I was p!ssed. But,That particular day was Gandhi Jayanthi (selling booze was illegal) and everyone in the car were stoned. So, I had to bribe him to let me go.
These days, it takes me less than 10 seconds to know what the cop questioning me is really interested in.
Old 7th April 2007, 14:43   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
An incident happened sometie back. A friend of mine was going with his friend on a bike when they were caught as part of a nakabandi routine check. On stopping, the cop asked him " are u marathi?" the guy said "no" the cop said "come aside" and pulled him over.
This is there in every state, and that really scares me. My wife and I have ideas of driving all over India some day when our kids are older. But this kind of practice by the cops really throws a wet blanket on the plan.

When we did the Pune-Shirdi-Ellora-Ajantha-Pune trip couple of years back, we travelled via tourist taxi. Couple of places the poor driver was made to pay money for no reason although he had all the papers handy. One place the cop wanted to go through our lugguage, but my steady stare from the back seat changed his mind. At least that's what I like to think. In the same trip my wife's credit card and Rs.3000 cash was stolen right in front of the main Sai Baba statue inside the temple. We knew we had been surrounded by the pickpocket gang who created an artificial crowd pushing around us. It was too obvious. The cops looked surprised as if that never happens. We filed a report mentioning the loss, I guess they used it to get their right share from the culprits. The police in India have mostly become licensed criminals.
Old 7th April 2007, 15:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
As does Karnataka.
I purchased my car 2 yrs back in bangalore, and it doesnt have any photo.

I also, do not carry my original RC and insurance - only a photocopy. Not sure if its the right thing to do... I had once asked a police officer during the night nakabandi in bangalore ( I was on a 2 wheeler then, and used to carry originals), and he advised me not to carry original- if vehicle is stolen, then original RC book will make it more easy to dispose the vehicle or some such...

Have driven across Karnataka, TN and Kerela, asked cops for direction (I can speak only hindi and english and a smattering of marathi), no problems so far... plain lucky i guess.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 7th April 2007, 15:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Why on earth should an RC book have a picture of the owner??? And why cant I drive my brother's car around, for instance?
Old 7th April 2007, 17:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

When ever i get stopped by a cop i end up calling the traffic marshal

i never give money to any police wala

once a police wala tried to get money out of me because i had black filming (the legal one) it even have a paper saying that its legal but the cop said how does he know if it legal it looks to dark
he was a normal police and not the traffic wala so i called my dad(i said to him i didn't have money so i am calling someone to get money)my dad knows the IG so he called him and he sent sho of the area with my dad and the poor police wala he was shocked and later on he had to write me a letter saying soory and he was suspended

Last edited by manikjeet : 7th April 2007 at 17:12.
Old 7th April 2007, 18:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

These days, it takes me less than 10 seconds to know what the cop questioning me is really interested in.

Hi
Care to share the wisdom for the benifit of the Members ) I guess you basically need to be street smart & assertive....right ??
Old 7th April 2007, 18:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

@viper thats how it goes in mumbai city!!!
Old 7th April 2007, 18:16   #29
BHPian

right thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
When ever i get stopped by a cop i end up calling the traffic marshal

i never give money to any police wala

once a police wala tried to get money out of me because i had black filming (the legal one) it even have a paper saying that its legal but the cop said how does he know if it legal it looks to dark
he was a normal police and not the traffic wala so i called my dad(i said to him i didn't have money so i am calling someone to get money)my dad knows the IG so he called him and he sent sho of the area with my dad and the poor police wala he was shocked and later on he had to write me a letter saying soory and he was suspended
This is the only way you can survive in this country. We should try to make it more liveable. Not everyone will have access to IGP and DGP.
Old 7th April 2007, 18:53   #30
BHPian

i had one such incident where the cop stopped our petrol mondeo and insisted we pay a fine for air pollution ( we had a valid PUC ) , as he saw "black smoke" from the exhaust... black exhaust from a petrol car ! , only on our persistence to give his black smoke theory in writing did he let us go withour paying him anything , pathetic , the problem is they try to justify taking money by accusing you falsely, just ask for 50 bucks man i wouldnt mind giving it to you, dont make up crap theories thats irritating

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks