Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should I let my chauffeur use the AC while waiting?
Yes 81 25.31%
No 90 28.13%
Depends on variables like wait time/ weather etc 149 46.56%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2020, 00:08   #16
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chauffeur using car a/c too much while waiting! Yay or Nay?

I think our family is blessed in this regard. Our driver simply doesn't like AC ! I don't know whether its an allergy or he catches cold instantly but whenever I get in the car I put the AC on 3, but within 15mins the driver changes it to 1. I eventually keep it on 2 a while later. Other times when we aren't there, he lowers the window & dozes off.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 00:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
So here is a big moral dilemma that I'm currently facing
The moment I read the thread title, I knew my answer would be Nay. Reason being - 'too much' of anything is bad. The real question is how much is too much.
Honestly I dont see a point of having a discussion with him now considering the AC season is over for the next few months. But you should definitely talk to him with onset of summer asking him to be judicious with the use of AC. No point in keeping it to yourself if it is bothering you so much.
On a lighter note - today it is the AC, tomorrow it will be the heater
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 03:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

I know they are human beings too, but sitting with AC in a car shouldn't be entertained. The car isn't his personal lounge. If the weather is unbearable (I've heard Delhi summers can get extremely hot), I wouldn't mind if he drove 2-3 km to find a resting spot as long as the car is safe.

Tell him that the FE the car gives when he drives is too low. Ask him to find some shade or return back to grandma's house (if feasible) after dropping her. If she can use a cellphone and call him, all the better. He'll get the hint.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th October 2020 at 03:57.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 04:39   #19
BHPian

If it is an option, get Uber or Lyft kind of services and let your grandmother be comfortably taken to and fro without the hassle of managing a driver and a car. Local taxi operator may be another option.
Old 28th October 2020, 05:10   #20
BHPian

What worked in our case is simple, the first time we caught him using the AC when we came back to the car, we made it clear that AC was not to be used when the car is parked. Since then we have found him dozing off with the windows down many times over several years to know he doesn't turn on the AC when idling. The point is not to let them think they have an option early on so they don't think they can get away with it or get in the habit of using it.
I think the best option in your case is to tell him directly of his excessive AC usage and that it is costing a lot, back it up with a white lie that you have an app on the phone that tracks vehicle's systems and the extra fuel consumed would be cut from the driver's salary if it goes above a limit say 7000 rupees.
Old 28th October 2020, 06:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
A different take here from me.

As the owner, employer, rule maker don't make rules you cannot implement, monitor and exercise retribution on. It undercuts your real authority. A lesson Govt of India has not learnt in 73 years.

For 7 months in Delhi extra aircon and hence fuel consumption is like an extra road tax you pay for the convenience of a reliable and safe driver.

I have long ago explained to our drivers that I fully understand and empathize with their situation and they are welcome to use the aircon thoughtfully and I trust them to use it
judiciously. Also explained the harm it causes to the car's mechanicals. And beyond that it is their call. The result is that they do use the aircon but not all the time because the power to use is now officially in their hands as is the responsibility.

The cost comes with the perk.
This is absolutely my take too. People who are reliable and trustworthy are hard to find. I have suffered worse in the hands of unscrupulous drivers ( damage, taking cash advances and disappearing, extremely negative feedback from the women in the family if you know what I mean) that given what I currently pay mine, 5k is just a high ish raise compared to what I currently pay mine.

On the other hand like others have suggested, it might be worthwhile to have a conversation with the driver where you bring up the issue of low mileage you've been facing with the car, but not point fingers (e.g. you can drop a hint that you think that you suspect there is petrol theft being performed by unscrupulous elements - this could be a very real alternative cause here, and ask him to be extra vigilant to prevent it, and that you will check back in a month) I'm sure he'll get the message, and hopefully you'll see improvements.

Another consideration is that in the covid times, do you really want your driver, someone, who sits at such close proximity going out there and mingling with the random public so much? I know me and my parents don't have that risk appetite. To the extent that for example we opted to pay my dad's home nurse double so that she could stay with us rather than commute every day.

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th October 2020 at 06:23.
greenhorn is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 07:58   #22
BHPian

I voted: depends on circumstances.

In normal times, I maintain a car log with the fuel efficiency as one necessary entry, tell the driver about environmental responsibility (hey, not being elitist, but if he could understand, maybe he wouldn't be a driver!), and convey the sentiment that he can use the facility like me, but mindfully. He's a human being afterall. I even understood one driver's family condition and helped out with an advance for a used vehicle so he could earn more with Uber. It broke down, but because he was such a good partner, they made him a driver in the company fleet.

In times of Covid-19, we let go all those who couldn't be with us 24/7. It was sad, we tried to help out with a good severance, but there were no other alternatives.

Today, many are not even using Uber or Ola, because of fears of the upholstery and ventilation of the vehicles being infected with virus.

Last edited by proton : 28th October 2020 at 08:00.
Old 28th October 2020, 10:28   #23
BHPian

The solution is pretty simple. Don't fill the car by yourself ask your driver to do it on every trip. Pay him 100-200 more than the fuel required to go to the place. He will try to be judicious and take that 100-200 home by switching off at the stops
avaneesh. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No because of Bangalore weather. I have a standing rule about this to all my drivers (permanent or temporary). In fact I request them to not sit unnecessarily in the car, and have provided a folding canvas camping chair (even has a small seatback) in the boot, that they can use instead.

I have a major advantage in that we rarely 'hop' multiple on-road parking situations in our trips. Without fail, it is either a mall parking or our respective offices (dedicated parking + provision of a driver room) or school (on-road but substantial tree shade available).

In dodgy parking situations, I send the car off to the nearest MLCP. I also used to have the Autocop TrackPro GPS tracker which makes everyone's life easier :-)
Old 28th October 2020, 11:20   #25
BHPian

My dad utilizes two acting drivers and I too prefer them.

The difference is, my dad is strict in the context of this discussion whereas I'm liberal. For me, it's okay for them to use the AC, especially with Chennai's climate. Still, oddly they don't listen to me and they use AC only when I or dad is present in the car.

I suggest allowing usage of AC based on weather.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th October 2020 at 11:30. Reason: whether = weather.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 16:24   #26
BHPian

Staying too long in an idle car with AC on can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. I think there have been many such cases in India.

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...ou-003557.html
Old 28th October 2020, 16:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

That's quite a dilemma that you are in. The conversation is uncomfortable to begin. I have a couple of points.

1. I think your driver can drop your granny and get back home if she decides to stay for over 45 mins. This way, you will have complete control
2. Get an advanced mobile app that syncs with your car, you will know the details of all meters and economies
3. Would not recommend this but just a thought. You can book an Uber or Ola premier car (choice of cars is available) and even take it on rentals. You have packages like 2 hours, 20 kms to 8 hours, 80kms which are pretty nicely priced

Good luck!!
Old 28th October 2020, 18:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Try this, I did the same, (when I had a driver to take wife to school) ask your granny to ask the driver to park the car, lock it and give her the keys.

He can sit in the verandah of the house she goes to, or he can stroll around.

If he's guilty he'll make excuses.

Try it it's effective.
I think this is the best solution considering other pros and cons.

I had to read the thread title twice to really get a grasp of what this is about!.

If the driver is a team-BHP member or a follower, he will know something is coming up when you call him .

Last edited by Nalin1 : 28th October 2020 at 18:19.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Try this, I did the same, (when I had a driver to take wife to school) ask your granny to ask the driver to park the car, lock it and give her the keys.

He can sit in the verandah of the house she goes to, or he can stroll around.

If he's guilty he'll make excuses.

Try it it's effective.
That's a good idea. It has one down side to it (personal experience). The moment you tell drivers to lock the car and hand over the keys, you can consider them as not available when you call them or need them. For example, when his granny calls him after her work is done, he will most likely be away or take some time to get back or will not answer calls. They will have the chance of making all the excuses in the world. We ended up waiting for over 30 mins for a driver only because we asked him to hand over the keys. On the contrary, if the driver is a trusted long time associate, it is still fine.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

I voted "NO". Sitting for a few minutes is ok. However idling for hours straight is simply misusing the vehicle. It is a car not an air-conditioner. Best is to ask him to open the windows and sit inside the vehicle or go for a stroll or sit in a shade himself outside the car after parking it safe. You are paying 10k for fuel, while you may afford it well but it is still not right. Please mention the driver you are having to pay excessively for the price of fuel and you should not be taken advantage of.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks