Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 20:50   #1
BHPian

Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents

Prelude:

I am one those, who have been living under a rock a.k.a city mile muncher who rarely finds the need of a fasttag (and had previous interstate e-tag), Covid has left us with no choice but to get fasttag to avoid Airtravel for hometown visits.

So thought about visiting the toll booth office directly, and get myself a fasttag without having to run behind activating it.

How the scam works:

I approached the fasttag issuance shed (for lack of better word). Couple of people (agents) were sitting in the shed, based on which company you prefer there is a different person. There was a person for Airtel, ICICI and Paytm. Having heard good reviews for Paytm from friends and ease of usage wanted to get the Paytm one.

(Below conversation was in mix of broken Kannada/Tamil, translated for readability)

Me: Hi, How much for Paytm fasttag?

Paytm Agent: Sir, 500 Rs. You have Paytm wallet?

Me: 500 Rs?? I thought there is a free tag.

Paytm Agent: No sir, it is 500 Rs. Sir, do you have paytm app. Let me show you.

*takes my phone, which I logged into the Paytm app.*

*Goes to Paytm app and searches for "Fasttag buy" *

This brings the the below screen:

Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents-search-screen..png

*Clicks on Paytm FASTag for Car/Jeep/Van Class 4 Vehicles *

This bring to below screen:

Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents-search-screen2.png

Note: the "Refundable amount of Rs 250"

Me: (thinking everything is normal) ok go ahead. So I get Rs.150 usable balance and Rs.250 security deposit back if I return the tag?

Paytm Agent: Yes sir, once you close you account this will be credited back.

Me: Ok Great, Please go ahead.

*Agent takes RC copy, and does some processing on this app which sends an OTP to my mobile for verification/activation fasttag, i share the OTP"

Paytm Agent: Sir, you fast tag is activated.

Me: But how do I see the balance and how do I recharge?

*Shows me the balance (Rs 150) and tells me to add money to add money to wallet as I had no balance*

Paytm Agent: Sir, recharge your wallet and that is enough. Fastag is linked to your wallet.

Me: hmm ok, But Rs 250 I dont see it anywhere?

Paytm Agent: Dont worry sir, it is security deposit it as mentioned in app. You will get it only once you close.

*I was skeptical but no way to verify, so I thanked the guy and left*

As I had some errands to run, I was near the toll locality. After about 30 minutes(or could be earlier) I see the below sms on mobile.

Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents-messsage.jpg

On seeing the above message, after doing my small errands I went back to FastTag booth and showed the guy the message.

Me: Hi, I got the above message. It says Rs 0 security deposit.

Paytm Agent: Sir, dont worry sir, you will get it once you close the tag.

Me: No, it clearly says Rs 0 security deposit and I only have to pay Rs 250 total.

*Paytm agent as if seeing the message for first time in his life*

Paytm Agent: Oh ok sir. Not an issue.

*Paytm Agent hesitantly gives me back Rs 250*

So literally saved "Rs 250" (almost 100% of the real value of the amount I really needed to pay)

My Learnings/analysis of the above situation:

1. After I got the verification OTP, now I know why he was trying to distract me with "ways to recharge" and "add money to wallet" excuses. So that I dont look at the other sms message even if I might have got it.

2. Paytm is also partly to blame here, with option showing "Refundable deposit" in the purchase option which Agents take advantage of.

3. On the positive note, I am happy with Paytm's clear message with the cost breakdown which allowed me to save my "Rs 250".

4. I should have also verified with my friends more about the "real" cost of the tag. But I am doubtful if anyone go in detail like we bhpians do

5: No matter how small or big an item is, always possibility of scam.

So that's all folks. Stay safe. Stay scam free. Peace.

Last edited by SideView : 24th October 2020 at 20:52. Reason: Typo
SideView is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 21:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents

Interestingly Paytm App still showing refundable security deposit of Rs. 250/-.

Then found this news.

Quote:
NHAI is also providing the security deposit for each account, to encourage vehicle owners to immediately switch to electronic toll payment.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 22:11   #3
BHPian

re: Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Interestingly Paytm App still showing refundable security deposit of Rs. 250/-.

Then found this news.
How could it not. This happened today.

You could call it hot news.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents

Sigh! If its India, there will be a scam everywhere. Three related threads:

Despite Fastag, asked to pay cash

Fastag Fraud

Raise dispute on trip
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why are you even approaching an agent for it when the whole process is online on the paytm app?
hserus is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:38   #6
BHPian

If we separate out the scam attempt, the Fastag seems to cost only ₹250 when purchased through an agent. Why can't Paytm sell it online at that price?!
gischethans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember being charged the whole amount of Rs. 500 when I bought the Fastag from Paytm for both of my cars. This included the 250 security deposit. I believe they must have changed this now and it is stupid of them to continue showing it in the breakup quotation when they aren't charging it anymore.

Also, why does Paytm want to collect physical money even if it is via an agent? Isn't it better for them to ask you to put the money in your Paytm wallet and deduct it from there? Because anyhow once you start using the tag, you would need to put money in your wallet.

Lastly didn't he give you some sort of cash receipt for the payment?

Last edited by drmohitg : 25th October 2020 at 10:42.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:43   #8
BHPian

I know it's slightly off topic, but still I feel complied to share here..

In the early years (early 2000s), when I was young , I used to feel that there are few people who'll try to scam us and we should be careful with such people.

Now, I feel like there are few people who won't try to scam us and it's very difficult to find them.

As for the Fastag, I had ordered mine online from ICICI way before fastag was made mandatory. The fastag was apparantly free at that time and had a security deposit and minimum 200 first balance recharge. The payment, delivery and activation was clean and without hiccups. There were some payment issues (more amount being debited than original toll prices) at the toll, which were slowly rectified. So pretty satisfied with ICICI in that matter.

Paytm, well, I once had a payment fraud on Paytm. 600 bucks were paid towards someone else's municipality bills, when my account credentials were certainly secure and my phone was with me. Upon raising a complaint, Paytm simply said that nothing can be done about it. After that incident, I avoided Paytm as much as I can, having realised the importance they give to their customers money.

Hope nobody else gets cheated by these agents.
saisailendra is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:02   #9
BHPian

Reading this thread made me go to Paytm fastag site to check my balance. I bought it for Rs. 500 sometime last year. It mentioned 150 as wallet recharge, 250 as security deposit and 100 and fastag charges.

Now I don't see the 250 rupees security deposit anywhere in the paytm against my account. Is it gone forever?
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:00   #10
MSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
. Is it gone forever?
I too had got my fastag for 500 when I bought it via Paytm app. And it seems now they are not temporarily asking for refundable security deposit of 250 Rs.
However if you bought your fastag via Paytm app, just try and download the invoice of your shopping. It clearly mentions that 250 Rs has been charged as refundable security deposit. I don't think it should be problematic for us to claim refund on fastag cancellation. This 250 Rs is mentioned only in that invoice is I am not wrong. It's nowhere to be found elsewhere.

Follow the steps.
1. Open Paytm app.
2. Search and go to orders and bookings section.
3. Once that opens, most select shopping.
4. Scroll to option where your fastag shopping is listed.
5. Select fastag.
6. In the next page you see invoice.
7. Download the invoice pdf.
8. The downloaded pdf file will be having all necessary components enlisted serial wise.

Your invoice should look something like this

Beware: PayTM Fastag scam via agents-screenshot_20201025114340__01__01.jpg
MSC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Why are you even approaching an agent for it when the whole process is online on the paytm app?
Immediate delivery of the tag. Otherwise we should wait for a couple of days (or sometimes couple of weeks)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I stay close to toll location also heard the delivery times of tags have increased so thought why not go directly and get it.

But if you see online also it mentions Rs 250 but i am doubtful if it really goes to that purpose or maybe they havent updated the site yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Lastly didn't he give you some sort of cash receipt for the payment?
No he did not give any receipts for the amount. Maybe i should have asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Reading this thread made me go to Paytm fastag site to check my balance. I bought it for Rs. 500 sometime last year. It mentioned 150 as wallet recharge, 250 as security deposit and 100 and fastag charges.

Now I don't see the 250 rupees security deposit anywhere in the paytm against my account. Is it gone forever?
Since you ordered online, wont you have invoice. Better to check.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2020 at 05:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 25th October 2020, 18:09   #13
AZT
BHPian

What is the purpose of the security deposit, not like you're going to return the sticker. Plus, if balance falls to zero, the Fastag gate won't open anyway. Infact, if your balance falls below 150, your next wallet top up will go directly to the Fastag minimum balnce first.

So again, what 'security' is this deposit for. What hardware have they given you that they expect security in return of. This deposit even being legal is a scam.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
What is the purpose of the security deposit, not like you're going to return the sticker. Plus, if balance falls to zero, the Fastag gate won't open anyway. Infact, if your balance falls below 150, your next wallet top up will go directly to the Fastag minimum balnce first.

So again, what 'security' is this deposit for. What hardware have they given you that they expect security in return of. This deposit even being legal is a scam.
I had an Axis Bank fastag once, but got tired of their buggy website and poor customer support, and bought a Paytm one. Certainly a fit case to ask for your deposit back.
Old 26th October 2020, 09:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post

I agree with this, if they are not charging why show in the breakdown.(the way that agents gain your confidence is via this breakdown)

Their is no need for Rs 250 deposit as we always have 150 minimum balance to take care of.

The only place i can think of is where they toll amounts are Rs 250+ whereby someone can game the system.( but too much of a hassle)
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks