Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 18:00   #46

re: Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital

Hello!

This is a good initiative from GOI and hope that the digital docs gets validation from traffic cops.

I have found that to get documents into digi locker the names must match, the challenge comes when we take the family members vehicle for a spin, there we wont have the digi locker facility available as only ones own docs gets accepted in digi locker.

I hope things would look up for digital way of life soon.
Old 19th December 2020, 21:58   #47
BHPian

It was 20th November and I was stopped under Mankoli Flyover when I was going to Kalyan from Kalwa.

A traffic cop saw my car having different number plate than MH04 and signaled me to stop, when I was about to take right turn. I stopped the car at the right side just besides their van.

I drive usually with driver side window rolled down so quickly asked the traffic cop what's the matter?

He told me to wait 2 minutes while he is checking the car documents on his phone. After 2 minutes he confirmed that I have everything in order, RC valid, Insurance Valid, PUC valid and he let me go without even checking my license. Probably because I was wearing mask properly.

He told me that they have special logins which show them all info about any car if uploaded to servers, so no physical documents check required .

I had all paper documents too with me, in case digital channel didn't work .
turbodude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:28   #48
BHPian

I argued with a Kolkata traffic cop regarding the validity of the documents in Digilocker.

I was stopped by a couple of cops for supposedly signal violation. I took a left turn when the signal was red as I didn't see a board mentioning 'No free left'. Now, the 'free left' rule is not very opaque, maybe to help raise some funds.

The cops wanted my DL. Although I had the original on me, I just showed them my digital copy in Digilocker. I don't like handing over my documents to the cops. And this is where the problem began. They realized that they can't seize my DL which in turn means not being able to extract anything (extra?) out of me. One of the cops said we would need to seize your DL. Since you have everything on your phone, will you submit the phone?

I showed them the message below the document that the digital documents available in the app are a valid document. Now one of the cops loses their cool. They probably said something like we are the rule makers and know the rule better than you. I just kept a straight face and said, all I have is the digital document, do whatever you want with it. Eventually, all I got was an online challan of Rs. 100.

My question is, when can the cops seize the DL? Do they have the authority to do that? If yes, and I'm not carrying the original with me, what would be the next course of action. Can anyone please share some info on this? Thanks!
Old 20th December 2020, 12:45   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
They probably said something like we are the rule makers and know the rule better than you.
Cops can make rules/regulations within the ambit of the law. Their rules can't override the law. If the law says digilocker DL is acceptable, the cops can't make a rule saying that is not acceptable.

Quote:
My question is, when can the cops seize the DL? Do they have the authority to do that? If yes, and I'm not carrying the original with me, what would be the next course of action. Can anyone please share some info on this? Thanks!
Seizing DL/RC has become outdated phenomena. If one can drive with only the digilocker DL/RC, what is the purpose served by seizing the DL? Unless they suspend the DL/RC (which is a major procedure/action), you could continue to drive with your valid digilocker DL/RC.

Right now I don't have my physical DL since I had submitted it for change of address. The digilocker DL already has my updated address, and I am driving around without any worry.

Only physical copy I keep on the car is the insurance and PUC.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th December 2020 at 12:46.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Eventually, all I got was an online challan of Rs. 100.\
That was the best course of action tbh. He would've asked you to collect it from somewhere and you would've had to pay a bribe.
Old 20th December 2020, 13:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Cops can make rules/regulations within the ambit of the law. Their rules can't override the law. If the law says digilocker DL is acceptable, the cops can't make a rule saying that is not acceptable.
Of course, the law says that the digital documents in Digilocker are acceptable. But that's how the custodians of the judicial system work in our country. To make a quick buck, they can make new laws, since they are above all authorities!

Quote:
Seizing DL/RC has become outdated phenomena. If one can drive with only the digilocker DL/RC, what is the purpose served by seizing the DL? Unless they suspend the DL/RC (which is a major procedure/action), you could continue to drive with your valid digilocker DL/RC.
Yes, even I'm not sure about the purpose of seizing the DL. Maybe to harass the common public, another way to extort money. The challans are anyway filed against the car/motorcycle and not the DL.

Quote:
Same here. In fact, from the mParivahan app, the validity of PUC can be verified now so this can also be skipped.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 13:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
In Delhi, the RC on mParivahan app also syncs with insurance and PUC records. So practically the digital RC shows the validity of these documents and that is all you need. Maybe Delhi was a pilot and they are in the process of rolling this out nationwide.
Old 20th December 2020, 15:09   #53
BHPian

These Apps while a good idea are very unstable
(See pic) . Also sometimes after an app update, your pre-downloaded documents may become unavailable. Hard copy rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital-screenshot_2020122015102558_940de1908909d4c14556c7f6b8019bbc.jpg  

Last edited by shaikhmimran : 20th December 2020 at 15:13.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 16:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Hard copy rules.
+ 1

Also, it doesn't hurt to always have a xerox of the originals along with the digital copies wherever and whenever possible. It pays to be safe.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
These Apps while a good idea are very unstable
(See pic) . Also sometimes after an app update, your pre-downloaded documents may become unavailable. Hard copy rules.
Delete the Cache memory of this App; Even I had this issue after the update, and the solution from the developer was as below:

"Try clearing the cache or reinstalling the app"
Old 21st December 2020, 13:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
That was the best course of action tbh. He would've asked you to collect it from somewhere and you would've had to pay a bribe.
Yes, I agree. I have been stopped at New Alipore, somewhere near Namkhana, and in front of Acropolis mall in case of the incident above in the last 2 months. In all those instances, I have been advised to carry the hard copy of DL and present it when asked.
With the elections next year and lockdown induced shortage of 'funds', these checks are a little frequent in Kolkata.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:08   #57
BHPian

Re: Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital

Quote:
I argued with a Kolkata traffic cop regarding the validity of the documents in Digilocker.

The cops wanted my DL. Although I had the original on me, I just showed them my digital copy in Digilocker. I don't like handing over my documents to the cops. And this is where the problem began. They realized that they can't seize my DL which in turn means not being able to extract anything (extra?) out of me. One of the cops said we would need to seize your DL. Since you have everything on your phone, will you submit the phone?
You may need to check this out. I'm not Kolkata based so can't help you with the ground reality, I would consider you lucky that you got just the ₹100 fine.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71120041.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks