Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Cruise Control in India is:
Useful 514 61.93%
Useless 316 38.07%
Voters: 830. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2020, 21:09   #181
BANNED

Re: Cruise Control in India - Useful or Useless?

Voted Useless.

I used to use an android app to keep my speed under 80Kmph on my all-night drives frequently. If there is a question of rigid speed limits, the app would be sufficient to keep the speeds in check. I will set a speed that is a few km lower than the expected limit and it will beep whenever the set limit is crossed. This will be more accurate than the cruise control, if the cruise control relies solely on the speedometer reading. This will be more pronounced in the cases where the tires have been changed leading to differences in the speedometer reading in the first place. I don't think the cruise control will be based on a GPS sensor as it would render it useless in tunnels and cloudy nights.

It is better to be alert and in control at the expense of being forced to take more breaks than to try enjoying a tiny dose of convenience resulting in gross distraction.

Nowadays, I maintain fuel-efficient speeds without the need to fetter myself rigidly to 80kph and still get 26+kpl in between my tankfuls even after having driven close to a Lakh km.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 7th June 2020 at 21:15.
Old 8th June 2020, 08:40   #182
BHPian

I vote a good 'YES'. I still own the first gen Figo and I frequent Kodaikanal to Bangalore for work. I do a door to door in 7 hrs normally and this feature is one sore miss in my car. I can say i have been missing this for the last 190k+ KMS that I have covered in the last 8+ yes of ownership. Prior to that I dont think I cared. While roads in TN do encourage effective use of CC, I agree there are times where it is not recommended due to the lackluster, idiotic, weirdos on the highway
Ashwinbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:15   #183
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Cruise control is undoubtedly a very useful feature. In the Indian context it is debatable. Though we have roads which allow us to cruise at a safe/regulated speed, we do not the the mind set to allow that to happen, I mean, disciplined driving would allow a better use of this feature.

Talking about an upgrade to the same which is the adaptive cruise control, makes more sense, as it allows the vehicle to have more control than just on and off functions, in the basic offering.

I hope the infrastructure and the mindset of the drivers/riders here gets tuned more towards utilizing such features in the days to come, which will enable us to stay safe and make use of the advancements (autonomous vehicles) happening in terms of technology.
Fan@Automotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:25   #184
BHPian

I have managed to use cruise control quite a bit on the BLR-MAD highway, and also the Old Madras Road between Bangalore and Tirupati.

Within Bangalore, I get a chance to use cruise control on late night and early morning airport runs.

I must admit that I use cruise control for novelty and fun more than anything else.

With Indian road conditions, using cruise means I need to be extra aware to ensure that I don't get too close to the car in front of me, while also ensuring that I don't unnecessarily disengage cruise by slowing down. It's almost like a game I play on long drives in seeing how far I can drive without disengaging cruise.

Does it reduce driving stress on Indian roads? Absolutely no. Little bit of entertainment on long drives? Yes!
qaqa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 18:14   #185
BHPian

Earlier I also felt that cruise control was useless in India but due to recent enforcement made me change my opinion. Almost all major roads in Delhi the speed radar had been enforced along with cameras and now automatic e-challans are being issued. That means the cameras are working at odd hours also when the roads are deserted & the cruise control is really helpful in this situation.

Also, with the newer cars with continuous beep after 120 km/hr of speed it again comes useful. During my recent highway drive (Eastern peripheral expressway having speed limit of 120 kmph) I set the cruise control 119 kmph and was cruising peacefully. Even after braking, I just pressed the 'Resume' button, and it would start cruising back at 119 kmph.

I found the cruise control useful in both the scenarios, it did make the driving less strenuous for me.
Old 9th June 2020, 11:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Voted Useful.

I do a lot of highway trips, specially Delhi to Kolkata and back and I find cruise control pretty useful. Yes sometimes you need to slow down, but one click on the resume button and thats it. Additionaly for city use, the Duster has an added feature of speed limiter. Set it like CC and you wont go above that speed even if you press the throttle. Helps staying within speed limits in the city.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 10:29   #187
BHPian

I have voted for useful, however the last time I used it was in 2016 when I got the duster AWD. It was heavily used at the Hyderabad ORR during the engine brake in period of first 1000kms to keep things in perspective.
Old 18th August 2020, 10:41   #188
BHPian

Voted for "Useless". 99% of my driving is within city limits in Delhi NCR. With bumper to bumper city traffic it is impossible to use cruise control.

However, I do agree that for folks who frequently drive on the highway it can be a useful feature.
Old 18th August 2020, 11:33   #189
BHPian

Voted useful. Apart from highway use, with an increasing numbers of speed cameras in NCR, its useful to keep speed in check. I actively use cruise control in Honda City (Petrol), however I don't miss it terribly in Grand i10 and Duster (both Diesel).
austere_sly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 12:09   #190
BHPian

A SOLID YES

Having used the cruise control extensively on my Ciaz during long highway drives, I find this feature as a boon which helps reduce fatigue on calf and thigh muscles even as the knees would get much needed relaxation.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 18th August 2020 at 12:10.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 14:22   #191
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Mine is a pre facelift GT TSI and didn't come with CC. But after trying out in a friend's car, I immediately knew I needed it. So went through some effort and got CC retrofitted in my car and it was one mod that I'm extremely glad I did along with the GTI steering with paddles.

I see a lot of people having voted no and must have a predominantly city driving cycle, don't have good highways or have a CC equipped manual car. CC and automatic is a match made in heaven as often the CC disengage with cluth and change in gears. However, with an automatic, you just brake and slow down for an obstacle, and once past it, just press the resume button to go back to the pre set speed with seamless gear changes in the background without much fuss. I for one have travelled extensively in TN highways and always use CC, even for short stretches. You can even use the +/- buttons to modulate speed without disengaging the CC when you expect slow moving traffic ahead on highway. An adaptive CC, when becomes available in sub 20L cars in India, will be icing on cake.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 14:47   #192
BHPian

Voted "useful". It is definitely useful given the conditions suitable for it. I have used it many times on beautiful stretches of highway from kolhapur to nippani to belgaum. No potholes, straight or winding sections with nice lanes, disciplined and less traffic, yes am talking of our very own highways!

It relaxes me and my t-jet both after a long and fast drive. Welcome feature on long drives to de-stress yourself. If I recollect, in linea it can be used above 40 kmph. I have used it for speeds above 50 kmph upto triple digits for a short distance. Best use is for around 60 - 70 kmph.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 18th August 2020 at 14:48.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 05:25   #193
BHPian

It's useless and unsafe in India. Adaptive cruise control is a safer option with collision mitigation, but the traffic and roads in India are not really suited. My CR-V has it.
wanderluster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 00:44   #194

Definitely Yes.
I regularly use Cruise Control outside India even for short drives. I have extensively used Cruise Control across Americas and Europe. It is a boon for relaxed driving.
Old 21st August 2020, 13:02   #195
BHPian

Voted useful.

With my current Seltos, I'm using it extensively even on the undivided 2 lane roads. In my previous car many a times I wish I could have had this feature especially during my wife's pregnancy.. Even though I like to drive faster, with usual early morning starts (3.30 AM - 4 AM) when the roads were empty I tend to maintain around 100-110 kms (on 4-6 lane highway) without CC.

So I have decided long back that Cruise Control is must for my next car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks