Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 11:30   #121
BHPian

Re: Do you get car-sick?

When sitting as a passenger its got a lot to do with the way the person is driving.

if the driver applies harsh brakes and keeps pumping the accelerator then one is sure to feel car sick. On the other hand slow acceleration and gradual braking would make the journey good.

One way to get a harsh driver to learn to drive smoothly is, take a tumbler fill it half full with water and place it on the dashboard. And ask the guy to learn to drive without spilling the water .

Another sure thing that makes u sick is, I recall in the past when I had to take these overnight buses from Blore - Mlore . The moment you board the bus and u get that funny smell Agarbati/Bus mixed smell would make me sick right away.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

Eyes and motion sensors in ears - when these do not agree with each other, then we get motion sickness.

However, there is one more kind of nauseating feeling that you may get only in new vehicles because of better sound insulation.

It so happens that engine vibrations and chassis/suspension rumble does not get filtered by the "sound proofing" equipment in most modern vehicles.
The sound proofing only affects the "midrange" and "high-end" of the audio spectrum.
However the "low end" and vibrations are not absorbed, and travel to our ears and body - which cause discomfort that builds over time.

Now if the sound proofing is not good - your ears get to hear the entire spectrum of noise - which is more agreeable to our ears / brain.

If you don't believe me then do one thing, the next time you feel nauseous: open the window and let the wind run to your ears. The sound of wind buffeting against your ears will pacify your brain immediately (high/mid frequency noise).
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 12:37   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats exactly my problem too. And strangely, I never get car sick when driving.
Only when I am a co-passenger I get all these problems!

I guess its more psychological. While driving focus/concentration shifts to the road.
Hence you don't have time to experience nausea!
Same here. The reason is, your brain equips your body and send signals about the probable movement of your body which would happen depending on the road (Like taking turns etc etc). This happens quite fast (Unlike turbo lags ) and so you dont feel motion sickness. Even if you sit on the front sit and get the front view, you feel less motion sickness.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 11:00   #124
Senior - BHPian

My wife had this terrible problem of motion sickness while traveling in the car, especially if the journey involves winding roads. She used to always vomit whatever food/drink she had that day completely and end up irritable and weak with strong headache.

Recently we got a great remedy for this from one of our relatives. Some of you may not believe this, even I did not initially, but the idea is to keep a newspaper on the seat and sit on top of it. In my last trip to Kerala, we went through quite a few winding roads in fairly fast manner to test this and found it to be extremely effective! She says she dont even feel uneasy during the drives any more. If any of you or your dear ones have this problem try this out and let me know if it works. Very simple and effective.

Last edited by vasoo : 15th February 2012 at 11:01.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 11:30   #125
BHPian

Personally I don't really get car sick but that is becoz I can't remember the last time that I sat in the back seat of a car for a long drive!!!

I do get a bit wobbly though in State Buses, especially if it is hot and humid out, also I can't read ( novels, mags ) in a moving car/bus, trains seem to be fine.

My wife get car sick if her stomach is not full, especially breakfast, so we just make sure we have a full meals while on the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
My wife had this terrible problem of motion sickness while traveling in the car...

Recently we got a great remedy for this from one of our relatives. ....but the idea is to keep a newspaper on the seat and sit on top of it. .... found it to be extremely effective!
Wow, this is really a unique and unheard off remedy, but you will pardon me in that, I too am rather incredulous about this mode of treatment. Will have to try this out!!
Old 15th February 2012, 13:34   #126
BHPian

My wife gets car sick even on short trips within city. We've tried number of ideas but nothing worked.

In our last trip to Goa, she took Zofer MD (4mg) tablet and it work perfectly for her. No vomiting or headache. One is supposed to take this tablet half n hour before starting the trip.

Zofer is basically ondansetron (Ondansetron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which preventsnausea and vomiting.
Old 15th February 2012, 23:20   #127
Senior - BHPian

I dont get car sick, whether i drive or sit in the front/rear. But i get air-bus sickness. When i travel in normal AL/Tata buses, it is all good even if it is >10 hours, but not with air-bus.
Old 25th July 2012, 16:28   #128
BHPian

Nausia and vomiting in car

My wife only travels in rear seat with kids, I have a 2007 Honda city,Indica (diesel), Estilo (new), and old verna Diesel) in family

My wife gets severe nausia and vomiting in Honda city and Verna but is fine in Estilo and Indica. I have driven 400-500 kms in indica with her being completely fine.

I am planning for a new car selling Indica but the problem is that it's only diesel car in which she can travel without problem. I am in dilemma to replace it with which car?

presently I have a honda city also at my disposal so I have ruled out buying a sedan, so which diesel hatch?

i would appreciate responses from people who have been in similar situation
Old 25th July 2012, 16:56   #129
BHPian

Nausia and vomiting in car

i guess its more to do with the suspension and pitching of the vehicles on undulating roads than due to diesel or petrol car.

Diesel hatch with good suspension and handling: for me it would be the ford figo. Points in favour of figo: VFM, suspension and handling, decent rear leg room, reasonable fuel efficiency and maintanence costs AND it is good to drive though a tad underpowered.

by the way its nausea!!
Old 25th July 2012, 17:15   #130
Senior - BHPian

What I've noticed that on few occasions I fell sick when on the back seat of an SUV (not always). If I'm driving then I can drive for long hours and I feel nothing. This happened few times, of what I can recollect now were once in Delhi on a Qualis, once in Ladakh , again a Qualis (might be AMS as we were returning from Pangong Tso and I had a proper AMS attack just 2 days later at Tso-Moriri) and very recently, last Saturday when I took my Scorpio for getting a problem fixed and I was sitting on the back during a long test ride. I've never felt any such thing on Sedans, Hatches or even Buses. May be the excessive rolling of these SUV's made me feel sick or the way they are driven? I was told that if one reads a colorful book (or checking photo albums) while on a car can make one feel sick. Is this true? And actually while on the Scorpio I was checking the Google maps that day and on that Qualis I was reading a travel magazine. Or is it just co-incidence? Any ideas?
Old 26th July 2012, 14:01   #131
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nausia and vomiting in car

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
My wife gets severe nausia and vomiting in Honda city and Verna but is fine in Estilo and Indica. I have driven 400-500 kms in indica with her being completely fine.
Sure, there is a difference of Sedan and Hatchback between the two, but i don't think that would make a real big difference here.

Another major difference is the power these cars have + perhaps braking sharpness. Do you think your driving style (excessive or sudden acceleration / braking) might have something to do with this?

cya
R
Old 26th July 2012, 14:09   #132
BHPian

I mostly get sick in tempos and long-distance buses. Maybe its the exhaust that seeps in.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:53   #133
Senior - BHPian

I have seen most women getting sick especially if the car rolls a lot sideways. Have seen a one throwing up while sitting on my cars back seat. My wife who never used to have this problem, developed it some time back. These days occasionaly she gets it. Zofer is a good suggestion, i might try that.

This mostly happens if either she is sleep starved, or had a heavy breakfast or lunch. Fortunately within the city it has not been a problem.

Hence on highways we usually start with light stomach, and ensure she has had a good night sleep.
Old 6th August 2012, 19:49   #134
Senior - BHPian

After marriage, I was really disappointed to know that my wife hates winding roads! This is because she gets nauseated with much body roll. She always asked me to ride real slow on the curves. I am just the opposite. I am a big fan of curves. Especially the good winding roads of Idukki in Kerala.

On our first trip to Munnar, she somehow managed not to puke, as we took lots of stops in between. The next time, she couldn't hold on and started vomiting once we stopped after descending the ghats. I was like depressed. Not because she puked, but because I thought that it is the end of winding roads for me.

This set me thinking for the rest of our journey. I was seriously analyzing at what could be the real problem. It came to my mind that she did not have that much of a problem sitting at the back talking to anybody else. So I guessed that it is all in the mind. How right I was. I observed that when she was sitting beside me in the passenger seat, she is not that engaged in any talk and she has her eyes set on the road and is apprehensive of what lies ahead of the curve. This surely was one reason. It also struck my mind that why she does not have an issue when she negotiates curves when she drives.

After observing her for some more time, I recognized that why she is apprehensive is because she is not enjoying the ride. Not that I am rash, but she was holding stiff and did not move much with the curves. I asked her to relax her neck and move the neck/head along with the curves. What do we guys do when we sit in the passenger seat? We enjoy every curve because we imagine being the driver and think about how better we could have done the curve. I wanted her to enjoy the curves and asked her to imagine like you are driving and to relax/move the head with the curve. Voila! There goes her issues. Instantly she told there is a difference. On many other such trips, she did not have much of an issue. So in the end am I happy? It's anybody's guess
Old 8th August 2012, 11:44   #135
Senior - BHPian

I get carsick immediately, if there is no steering wheel in front of me.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks