Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 15:50   #106
BHPian

Re: Do you get car-sick?

I thought I do not have this problem. But lately I am having this problem whenever I travel to Bangalore. The long taxi ride from new Bangalore Airport to Electronic city which takes something like 2 hours. But it might be because of my stupidity of trying to surf on my mobile due to sheer boredom. The best thing is to close your eyes or stare out of window to a far away object (or at nothing particular).
Old 29th March 2011, 16:34   #107
BHPian

The biggest disappointment in my life was when my daughters (9 & 5) preferred to travel in my 10 year old Zen rather than the new altis I bought a few months back cause of their travel sickness.

BTW..... the zen is in showroom condition but according to them it does not 'smell' like the altis. The issue persists with them even now and so I have to drive without them. For long drives they are adequately sedated before we set out and remain so for approx 5 hours

Last edited by NYMEX : 29th March 2011 at 16:47.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:41   #108
BHPian

Absolutely, Get sick within a few of minutes while in the city, especially in the rear seat, Sitting in the front seat is bit better.

On the twisties, i may not last 5 minutes before puking.

Funnily, even if i am driving a regular truck, in the hills, i will not feel sick.
So i have to drive and find it very difficult to be driven around.
Old 1st April 2011, 05:09   #109
BHPian

Let me ask those who get car sick on backseats. Do you also like to stretch the driver's seat a lot? (instead of that stick the chest to the steering wheel kind of position)

Just trying to observe something.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:51   #110
Senior - BHPian

Only when I am not driving, I get car-sick. It happens particularly when I am in the back sit.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:01   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its not so much the seat itself but the proximity to the rear axle means you are thrown up and down more.
Even the sideways movements are are pronounced in the rear seat.
Another factor is that people who occupy rear seats can't see the road properly and don't prepare themselves to react/respond/balance to whatever the car does.
Old 5th June 2011, 09:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

My wife is prone to motion sickness. Whenever we go for a long drive she will inevitably vomit at least 2-3 times, especially while driving on ghat roads. I was searching about this and found the following measures to control this problem. Will ask her to try this out next time.
Quote:
If you know you are prone to motion sickness or if you are suffering from it, we recommend the following:
  • Always ride where your eyes will see the same motion that your body and inner ears feel.
  • In a car, sit in the front seat and look at the distant scenery.
  • On a boat, go up on the deck and watch the motion of the horizon.
  • In an airplane, sit by the window and look outside.
  • Also, in a plane, choose a seat over the wings where the motion is minimized.
  • Do not read while traveling if you are subject to motion sickness, and do not sit in a seat facing backward.
  • Do not watch or talk to another traveler who is having motion sickness.
  • Avoid strong odors and spicy or greasy foods that do not agree with you (immediately before and during your travel). Medical research has not yet investigated the effectiveness of popular folk remedies such as "soda crackers and 7 Up" or "cola syrup over ice," or ginger products.
  • Take one of the varieties of motion sickness medicines before your travel begins, as recommended by your physician.
Ref: Motion Sickness Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What measures can be taken to prevent or minimize motion sickness on MedicineNet
Old 5th June 2011, 10:41   #113
BHPian

I get really car sick when my feet are not on the accelerator and hands are not holding the steering wheel.

Jokes apart, one should never get behind driver's wheel till one is 100% feeling fine.
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 16:39   #114
BHPian

I too get car sick, head starts going round and get the pukey feeling. Usually happens in MUVs and Buses when I cannot see where the vehicle is going. I need to keep an eye on the road, else I would soon be found puking on the road.

Once when I was traveling from Bangalore to Hyderabad, I was actually sitting on the floor all night right behind the Driver's cabin in a Volvo, just to keep an eye on the road.

Dad has the same issue. Mom is fine. Sister has train sickness and wife has aircraft sickness mainly due to the height.
Old 5th June 2011, 17:51   #115
Senior - BHPian

Usually I fall asleep immediately in the backseat if there is no chance of me getting to drive (office cab). If I stay up, I am always at the edge of my seat scared that the driver is out to kill me. If I read, I feel pukey.

I thought I was the only one who gets restless if he is not driving!
Old 5th June 2011, 18:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

I started driving regularly only about 2 years back, and I've always been quite comfortable in the front or back seat of cars, any seat on a bus, airplane or boat. However, now I'm a victim of exactly the same "sickness" EssYouWe has mentioned (quote below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
If I stay up, I am always at the edge of my seat scared that the driver is out to kill me.

Last edited by StarrySky : 5th June 2011 at 18:39.
Old 5th June 2011, 22:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Not when I am driving

And and not every time I am being chauffeured as well.

But yes, this is most prominent when we go to hill stations (and I mean real hill stations like to manali, rohtang etc), and when I am in the back seat in a hired car, then I feel like puking. Felt this when going to manali via a shortcut the guy took, which had way too many twists and turns and then even up to rohtang. Same case when going to shillong, cherapunji, mawsynram and so on.

But what really helps at this stage is popping some Avomine (Great for motion sickness)

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 5th June 2011 at 22:25. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 30th August 2011, 08:15   #118
BHPian

I usually don't have motion sickness. I had no nausea at all when travelling from Delhi to the Himalayas (Auli), inspite of sitting in the last seat of the bus that took the mountain winding roads at considerable speed. I was initially sitting in front, but as the girls on the bus were vomiting left right and centre when seated at the back, I changed places with them.

However, on the company provided van, I used to use the laptop during the office commute. Initially I felt nauseous, but gradually got over it. Bangalore airport rides have also made me nauseous, but I think that was because I was using my Blackberry at the time. I was also sea-sick when I was below the deck of the boat and couldn't sea the horizon.

My wife used to be very nauseous with frequent vomiting, in my old car, a Palio 1.6 GTX. However, in my current car, which is a Santro, she has been able to handle twisty ghat sections without much problem. She also became queasy in a short ride at the back of a Vento. And when coming back from Goa in the last seat of a Volvo (very soft suspension), she was vomiting very often into the sickness bag, even when there was nothing left to vomit.

From what I've been able to observe, soft suspensions, low seating, sitting in the back seat and reading make some people very nauseous and car-sick.

I am choosing my next vehicle carefully as I don't want to spend all that money and then realize that my wife won't be able to ride in it.
Old 30th August 2011, 08:38   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
From what I've been able to observe, soft suspensions, low seating, sitting in the back seat and reading make some people very nauseous and car-sick.
Thats exactly my problem too. And strangely, I never get car sick when driving.
Only when I am a co-passenger I get all these problems!

I guess its more psychological. While driving focus/concentration shifts to the road.
Hence you don't have time to experience nausea!
Old 30th August 2011, 08:54   #120
Senior - BHPian

I dont know the exact reason, but somehow I have never been car sick or anything other as well. I have taken 12+ hour bus rides, long ghat rides, travelled to really high reaches of greater than 15thousand feet. The only time I feel nauseous is when I have an existing stomach ailment, or stay without food for a long time and then travel in cars, especially ones with soft suspension, which throw you around a lot.

But what I have felt personally, is extreme and quick changes in external pressure makes me feel nauseous the most. For example, a really quick drive down a steep ghat section, causing a fall of thousands of feet in very small amount of time, causes nausea.

The most extreme example of the above reason though has not been in a car. It was an unusual day spent in the air over India. Due to some unusual circumstances, I travelled by air from Bangalore to Guwahati. There is nothing unusual about that, except that I had 2 stop-overs in Chennai and Kolkata, and the Kolkata-Guwahati flight had a stop in Agartala. Thus, I had 4 take-offs and 4 landings in a span of about 11 hours. And by the time we were landing in Agartala, I was having a tough time keeping my stomach contents inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks