Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 15:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Mumbai police crackdown on out-of-state cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Intimidate and extort that's what their top bosses have asked them to do for the election and year end fund.
Sorry but i don't understand that how a fine paid to RTO / state govt, helps in election funding ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 17:08   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Sorry but i don't understand that how a fine paid to RTO / state govt, helps in election funding ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Road tax comes under the BMC kitty. It however cannot be used for election funding directly but such news does create headlines to show that the BMC is working hard at cracking down on road tax evasion.

Moreover, this happens every year in Feb-March to show better tax collections in the RTO books.
Old 21st February 2017, 22:24   #33
BHPian

I am sure many of the citizens would not mind paying an annual tax if such an option were available online. They should have it in meaningful intervals - probably 1 year, 2 years & 5 years? Keep re-paying as and when you need to.

The whole concept of paying lifetime tax and waiting for a refund is overkill - 8% of your car's ex showroom value is definitely no small amount for most of the owners. We end up paying twice the amount (the refund takes months, some times years to get credited).

I sincerely wonder why such a system cannot be put in place - this would only increase their income from road taxes, wouldn't it?
Old 21st February 2017, 23:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

As I said before, Im all for a united India and cross country license plates, etc.

The actual reason for the crackdown is bribes, no doubt.

The logical and official reason would be like I mentioned before, you are paying to use the roads and parking in the state where you are using the car the most. Mizoram is a small state and might have only a 100 roads so their state government might be fine charging only 5% as road tax because it will be enough to maintain those 100 roads but Maharashtra has 10000 roads so they need to charge 15% to maintain them. Hence, Maharashtra would find it "unfair" that an out of state car is using their infrastructure by paying a pittance.

But then again the number of cars on the road would be higher so their collection, even at a lower rate would be proportionate to collections from a smaller state number of cars/kms of roads-wise so technically it should balance out.

Lets not forget that the reason for the crackdown is that our citizens love to cheat the system so in some respects the govt is justified in its crackdown.
Its a typical Indian circle of stupidity, corruption and unwillingness to be good citizens

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2017 at 12:51. Reason: Properly formatted the post. Thanks
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:36   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Why not top-up again even if it is just 2-3 liters?! And get the printed receipt with the car number entered in it.

You can even get the PUC test done if it is closer to expiry date or if you have not done this for a long time.

We can't depend on this entirely because some times the message comes a day later and same with the updates/entries in the fastag online account.

If you have recieved the messages then its a valid proof.
Thanks AJ.

Yes, topping up just before leaving KA is a good idea - I shall do that and keep the receipt.

PUC was done just a month ago, so no luck there :( But thanks for the suggestion

Cheers
Old 27th February 2017, 19:48   #36
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Bhushan Kumar's Mercedes Maybach confiscated this time!
They could have recovered an even bigger amount if the cops had visited his house. His Rolls Royce Ghost,Bentley,Ferrari are all registered outside Maharashtra!

http://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai...HFKu5La2M.html
Mumbai police crackdown on out-of-state cars-_8215f294fc5611e6aa44d0b605bc50f5.jpg

Quote:
The Andheri Regional Transport Office (RTO) confiscated a car that belongs to the owner of a music company in the city for evading tax of Rs40 lakh, by registering it outside the state.The car, a Mercedes Mayback, priced at approximately Rs2 crore, was registered in Pondicherry, according to sources from the RTO. It was confiscated by flying squad.
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/mumb...-news/18030159
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 16:33   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a chat with a cop a while back, who insisted on seeing the papers of our MH01 BMW.

I casually showed him the papers, and asked him what the deal was given it was an MH01 car being driven in South Bombay (MH01 RTO), and he mentioned that a lot of these tax evaders also drive without insurance and other documents making it a mess in case of any incidents.

Lastly, with the CCTVs in action, they aren't able to fine out of state registered vehicles either.

Personally, after a GJ reg dolphin shaped Honda City was hell bent on side swiping our car the other day, and seeing all the antics these out of state registered vehicles pull off on our roads - I am happy that this step is being taken!

Yes, it will affect those who are genuinely from out of the state and visiting (C'mon, if you work here for over a year, you should pay the annual tax if not the life time tax! It's just ethical, no matter the discrepancies in tax amount across the states) - but at least in Mumbai cops are willing to listen if you are nice to them.

If nothing else, a quick message on social media about the harassment would get them into swing mode a lot quicker than other conventional channels.

PS: GTO, we had an MP reg. 309 a while back too - bought pre-owned, but that aside all our vehicles are MH 01 registered, or at most MH 04 (Octroi paid).
Old 28th February 2017, 16:53   #38
BANNED

Stupid, stupid rule. You have 11 months according to the motor act. In either case, allow a tax period of 6m/1yr etc. Lifetime tax every time is stupid shit. Get a PUC from a different state, fuel bills etc to prove your innocence.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2017 at 12:51. Reason: Properly formatted the post. Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:09   #39
BHPian

I drove down from Ahmedabad to Pune last weekend and experienced the issue first hand. Mind you, I was not driving around in a luxury car by any means.

The traffic cop asked me to pull over at a toll booth near Thane - Godbandar road (NH48?) and started asking about the whereabouts. I was driving my GJ01 registered car and he wanted to see my toll receipts and fuel bills if any.

I had all the papers in order so it was not big deal. But when he realized that there is no way he could squeeze any money from me, he came up with a new offense that I had committed. According to him, you cannot drive an outstation car in MH if the owner is not traveling with you. I was driving my father in law's car and he was obviously not with us when this happened.

But then, in my 12 years of driving, I have never come across such a traffic violation ever. He wanted me to pay 650/- as fine for this offense. I asked him to give me a ticket and informed that I will pay in the court for which he denied. After 15 minutes of argument, he came down to 250/- but since he already wasted my 30+ minutes for nothing, I was in no mood to pay up a single penny.

All this happened while he was still standing near my car. When I started walking towards his boss with the papers in hand to talk, he stopped me and asked me to move on without paying anything.
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 18:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently MH/Mumbai RTO has resumed allowing 1 year/annual tax for out of state cars. Anyone confirm this?
Old 24th September 2017, 23:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently MH/Mumbai RTO has resumed allowing 1 year/annual tax for out of state cars. Anyone confirm this?
Can you provide more details? Do you know if anyone has done it anywhere?
Old 25th September 2017, 00:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Can you provide more details? Do you know if anyone has done it anywhere?
A friend got an agent to do it as he wanted to get his car down from Delhi to bombay.
Check out the form attached here that I found online.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf form_at.pdf (9.7 KB, 527 views)
Old 25th September 2017, 12:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
A friend got an agent to do it as he wanted to get his car down from Delhi to bombay.
I am not able to understand much from the attached form sadly. I am looking to get this done. Is it possible to connect with the agent in some way?

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2017 at 12:52. Reason: Properly formatted the post. Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 11:11   #44
VVN
BHPian

Hi, need to bump this thread since I don't have a clear answer yet. I have a KA registered City and have just moved to Bombay (2 weeks now). I am not sure how long I will be staying here. KA allows out of state cars to run on their roads for 12 months without an NOC or Road Tax. How long can you drive a KA registered car in Mumbai without any legal implications?
Old 7th June 2019, 11:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
Hi, need to bump this thread since I don't have a clear answer yet. I have a KA registered City and have just moved to Bombay (2 weeks now). I am not sure how long I will be staying here. KA allows out of state cars to run on their roads for 12 months without an NOC or Road Tax. How long can you drive a KA registered car in Mumbai without any legal implications?
Same 12 months as that is a period provided for by the Motor Vehicles Act.

But you had better get a NOC from the concerned Bangalore RTO if you're going to live here all that long. Or drive the car periodically to Karnataka and keep a copy of the toll receipts, that way you can say you're just visiting.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks