Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2021, 22:00   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Booked Car at Maruti and they are charging ₹600 for fast tag. Does it come with any balance or no?
Generally first time FASTag installation charges are 500 out of which 300 is balance and 200 is charges/deposit. If dealer is charging 600, you would get balance of 400 I suppose. You can confirm that with him.
Old 21st November 2021, 22:13   #5912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Generally first time FASTag installation charges are 500 out of which 300 is balance and 200 is charges/deposit. If dealer is charging 600, you would get balance of 400 I suppose. You can confirm that with him.
Ok. Asked since I am part of a Spresso group on Facebook and someone told that dealer charged the usual ₹600 for fastag but it had ₹0 balance.
Old 23rd November 2021, 22:08   #5913
BHPian

It is easy to get ICICI FASTag with the PDF copy of RC from DigiLocker. It should cost you 500 with 200 for FASTag, 200 as refundable deposit, and 100 for the tag itself. Look out for offers that can help you recover 200 or more through Amazon Gift card.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:20   #5914
Senior - BHPian

Am sure this topic must have been discussed but unable to find it in the thread.

I recently sold my car which had HDFC fastag. HDFC doesnt have any provision of transferring the fastag ownership to the buyer, instead I have to cancel the vehicle in my fastag account, retain the wallet and when I would get a new car (new or used) will have to request for a new HDFC fastag and update the existing account with the new car details. The new buyer needs to remove the existing sticker in the car and buy a new one. This is based on discussion with HDFC fastag customer care. Any HDFC fastag owner can vouch this who has recently done the car sale?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:54   #5915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any HDFC fastag owner can vouch this who has recently done the car sale?
I'm a Paytm fastag owner and the process you mentioned is exactly what I had to follow while selling my Palio.

I suppose this rule is warranted by Fastag(Govt) and not the platform service provider!
pareshraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 16:19   #5916
BHPian

Some vendors allow transfer, some one insist on closing. You have to follow the directions of the vendor. What a waste of resources for a perfectly working tag if you have to discard it.
Old 5th December 2021, 00:47   #5917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I'm a Paytm fastag owner and the process you mentioned is exactly what I had to follow while selling my Palio.

I suppose this rule is warranted by Fastag(Govt) and not the platform service provider!
Paytm lets you transfer the tag to another wallet very easily. You can do it from the Paytm app itself, just enter the buyer's Paytm number and you are set.
varkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 23:22   #5918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
retain the wallet and when I would get a new car (new or used) will have to request for a new HDFC fastag and update the existing account with the new car details.
In case of ICICI too, FASTag can't be transferred. One has to cancel the tag and close the account. Balance amount is refunded to customer defined bank/ account. In my case, cancelation and refund was processed within 10 working days.

Quote:
The new buyer needs to remove the existing sticker in the car and buy a new one.
If the tag is not transferable, ideally seller should remove the tag to avoid any hassles later.
Old 12th December 2021, 11:33   #5919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasraj_jog View Post
Hello,

I have my fast tag on left side of the windshield. (I know stupid mistake). Will it not work on toll plazas especially travelling within Karnataka. I am planning my first highway trip and I am dead worried about my fast tag not working. Also in the scenario it does not get recognised, can we pay by cash ?

Thanks
Jasraj
Hi Jasraj, Can you please share your experience? Did you face any problems? I had also made the same mistake of sticking Fastag on left side like usual parking stickers and didn't travel on the highway since then. Now really worried if I need to replace it with a new one since I am driving to Goa from Bangalore in 10 days.
Old 12th December 2021, 12:28   #5920
BHPian

I currently hold a PayTM Fast Tag. Earlier the tag was placed on the left of the windshield and was almost never detected at toll gates. Finally, after crossing one toll and seeing a PayTM booth there, I went ahead and replaced the tag with a new one.

The previous tag was deactivated and a new tag was activated in the app. As earlier only RC PhotoCopy or Picture was required.

Post moving the tag to the center of the windscreen, the tag can be detected sans issues 100% of the time. Hence, I would recommend moving the tag to the center of the screen to avoid spending time at toll gates.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:41   #5921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Hi Jasraj, Can you please share your experience? Did you face any problems? I had also made the same mistake of sticking Fastag on left side like usual parking stickers and didn't travel on the highway since then. Now really worried if I need to replace it with a new one since I am driving to Goa from Bangalore in 10 days.
I have the Fastag on the left (passenger side) of windscreen and no issues whatsoever. 2 more tags (my apartment and office) are also fixed on same side and all the tags are working fine. If you face issue, it must be due to the tag itself rather than the placement.
Aviator_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 18:43   #5922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I have the Fastag on the left (passenger side) of windscreen and no issues whatsoever. 2 more tags (my apartment and office) are also fixed on same side and all the tags are working fine. If you face issue, it must be due to the tag itself rather than the placement.
Scanners have been improving and I have observed readability improvement over last 5 years. Still, unless there's any concern, I suggest that tag be placed on driver side or centre as in most cases the scanners are placed on right or centre of the lane.

Also, I prefer to keep sufficient gap with vehicle ahead to minimize chances of my tag being read before I reach the boom barrier.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 19:23   #5923
BHPian

Quote:
Am sure this topic must have been discussed but unable to find it in the thread.

I recently sold my car which had HDFC fastag. HDFC doesnt have any provision of transferring the fastag ownership to the buyer, instead I have to cancel the vehicle in my fastag account, retain the wallet and when I would get a new car (new or used) will have to request for a new HDFC fastag and update the existing account with the new car details. The new buyer needs to remove the existing sticker in the car and buy a new one. This is based on discussion with HDFC fastag customer care. Any HDFC fastag owner can vouch this who has recently done the car sale?
I recently -2 months back- sold my mother's car which had an HDFC Fastag under my wallet account. I had actually forgotten all about it and later on cancelled the Fastag and got back the Rs 200/- deposit initially paid.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:53   #5924

Not sure if this has been discussed before but here goes…
So I have experience with FasTag procurement, top up, damage, and replacement for 2 new vehicles and it has been driving me mad, so figured what better place than here to vent!

As I understand it, manufacturers have been informed that no new vehicle can be delivered without a FasTag being issued against it. So the dealer gets the FasTag issued against the VIN of the vehicle. And this leads to a litany of issues, mostly if the Tag is issued by PayTM or such other digi intermediaries, but sometimes also if issued by a Bank depending on the issue. If the issuer of the Tag is a Bank, the problem is less acute because banks have a desktop FasTag portal which, depending on the bank may be less or more user friendly but at least allows you to address all these issues. It is when we shift to mobile apps – and let’s face it, most of us would want that and not be stuck to a desk to manage our Tags – that these problems become stark.

Problem 01: None of the mobile apps, including of Banks (at least ICICI and IDFC) allow you to use the app if you are a customer solely for FasTag. So, for example, if you do not have a bank account with ICICI Bank, but the dealer gets the Tag issued from ICICI Bank, you cannot top up the tag or otherwise manage it from the bank’s mobile app – for which it appears you need to complete full KYC (like a regular banking customer). So to top up this Tag, you need to hit the Bank’s desktop portal every time, else try and use a wallet. Which is a nice segue into the second problem.

Problem 02: Yes, if the Tag was issued by a Bank, the Bank’s page shows the VIN and other details and that’s fine. But if you try to top up the Tag using a wallet, the VIN is inadequate. You can do so ONLY by feeding in the registration number of the vehicle. This despite (from what I hear) all new FasTags being issued against a VIN these days! So update the VIN to the registration number, you say? Ok, let’s go to problem 03.

Problem 03: It is not possible to update registration details of the vehicle on a mobile app. Yes, you can update the details of the Tag from VIN to registration number if the Tag was issued by a Bank, on that Bank’s desktop portal. While it can be a complicated process – depending on the bank, it is less so or more so – but it is at least possible there. But with PayTM (that is Tags issued by PayTM Bank) there is no option to update the details of the vehicle, post registration! By itself this is not a problem since Tags issued by PayTM Bank do show up on the app, but if you want to top up another Tag issued against a VIN? Or…, let us proceed to the fourth problem.

Problem 04: Reissue of Tags is allowed only against registration numbers and not VIN. Let us say the Tag is damaged – due to improper affixing (not unheard of) or due to sun film application (a more common issue). If you now want a Tag reissued, and try to do so on any mobile app, this is ONLY possible if the registration number is fed in. Which means, for PayTM issued Tags, it is not possible at all, and for Bank issued tags, you have to first go through the process of updating the records. Ok, so do not go for reissue, ask for issue of a fresh Tag, you say? Leads to problem 05.

Problem 05: One can have 2 Tags issued against the same vehicle. So, EVEN if there is already a FasTag issued against the VIN, one can still go and get a new FasTag issued against the SAME vehicle using its registration number! I myself have done this because my first Tag got damaged on one of my vehicles. Yes, this is more a systemic issue than a consumer issue – it is definitely better than the alternative of the customer not having a FasTag at all – but in effect you can have 2 Tags issued against every new vehicle in the country!!
Obviously, running both Tags simultaneously at the cost of the owner is next to impossible, but running the second Tag per se (without having the owner pay for it) while difficult, is not impossible. This can lead to incorrect data on number of vehicles on the road, possible security issues etc.

Now my question is, if this entire project was rolled out afresh – it was started from scratch in 2014, with the pilot being between AMD and BOM, if I am not mistaken – why build it in such a cumbersome manner?

Would it be that difficult to make FasTag mandatory only post registration? The customer is then incentivised to quickly get registration done, else all toll road travel will have to be done on cash basis (with time and penalty costs).
Else, mandate all issuers and wallets to accept the VIN OR the registration numbers of the vehicles? A quicker solve but not sure if the database interface for this at the backend is ready, was considered, and if not done at inception is now possible at all.

In the meantime, the key takeaway is to ensure that one gets a new FasTag issued ONLY from a universal bank. At least that way, updating the records from VIN to registration number is possible on the bank’s desktop portal.

So there’s my rant. Happy to hear the community’s thoughts on whether I am overreacting or if others have faced this issue as well, and solved it with more alacrity and less frustration than I have.

Cheers,
Gnashman
Gnashman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 18:04   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashman
None of the mobile apps, including of Banks (at least ICICI and IDFC) allow you to use the app if you are a customer solely for FasTag.
AXIS Bank is different. I don't have a Savings or Current account with Axis Bank. But their mobile app makes FasTag recharging quite easy. Another advantage is that Axis bank allows you to configure UPI IDs for all bank accounts irrespective of where the account actually is. They also give a unique UPI ID for FastTag account so recharging is also quite simple.

They do a round of KYC, but again what is mostly required are the vehicle details like RC Card etc.

Quote:
Yes, if the Tag was issued by a Bank, the Bank’s page shows the VIN and other details and that’s fine.
Axis Bank came to my rescue here as well. When I got the tag activated, it was based on VIN. But their customer support staff could get it changed to the Vehicle Regn Number. Now at toll booths my vehicle number gets displayed on the devices placed near the barriers.

Quote:
The customer is then incentivised to quickly get registration done, else all toll road travel will have to be done on cash basis (with time and penalty costs).
From my experience (mainly on toll booths at Attibele and at Elevated Highway). No amount of incentiviation will work - unless it is like people get paid for using this roads instead of them paying any thing. There are still people who barge into all lines without having FasTag; and then starts arguing as well. I have this uncanny ability to be next in line behind such vehicles (and thus lose out on any FasTag advantage).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks