Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 11:37   #5311
BANNED

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

BHPians, I have a very weird issue with my ICICI Fastag.

Basically, I have been using one tag since the time I have got this car (March 2019), but since the last few months, my tag kept saying it's "blacklisted" every time I tried crossing a toll even though I had sufficient balance which is more than the minimum threshold at any given attempt to cross the toll, a few weeks ago, I got furious and stopped at one of the toll plaza's office to actually find out what's happening, their simple explanation was "your tag must be damaged and hence this issue" since I had already passed the plaza, I thought I would check once with ICICI and then replace if necessary.

Later when I contacted ICICI customer care, they said there is no issue with the tag and if there was physical damage with the tag, then it wouldn't read at all (say invalid) and they confirmed that my balance is INR 1010.86 so it's not blacklisted as well. I even logged-in to their portal and as the customer care person said, I could only find one tag issued for my car and it said the tag is active.

I later thought maybe a one-time server issue and it wouldn't be a hassle next time.

Now, I again happened to face the same problem at the same toll, this time I actually decided to not pass the toll unless they fix the issue, I literally ensured that those toll office people stepped out to fix my issue, what has actually happened is that my Fastag is linked to apparently two IDs', even I have no clue on how such things happen, so the first Tag-ID which is recognized by the tag-reader is "blacklisted" and the second Tag-ID is perfectly working fine.

So what actually happens is, when I drive towards the tag reader at the toll, the first ID is read and their system shows it as "blacklisted" they got to click 'ok' and then the second ID is read for transaction processing.

The difference between the two IDs is actually just one character.
ID-1: 3416XXXX203*A*8972XXXX5EC0
ID-2: 3416XXXX203*2*8972XXXX5EC0

I have faced no issues from March 2019 (from the time of using this car) to March 2020 (Covid Lockdown), This issue first occurred sometime during October 2020, I paid by cash once and passed, later onwards every time I have to log-in to my Fastag account and show them I have sufficient balance and my tag is active and they let me pass the toll after putting out strong stand but the problem is if I don't do this then I will have to either make a U-turn and shift to Cash Lane(Which technically is not possible due to pile of cars that would have queued up) or end up paying double of the Toll charge if I insist on paying by cash.

How do I fix this and also what could be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-whatsapp-image-20201127-2.03.27-pm.jpeg  

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-whatsapp-image-20201127-2.03.28-pm-1.jpeg  

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-whatsapp-image-20201127-2.03.28-pm.jpeg  

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-whatsapp-image-20201127-2.05.51-pm.jpeg  

SuhasManjunath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 13:07   #5312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
I found out that I can enable this through a standing instruction from my ICICI net banking account and initiated the same. Now the auto-recharge from my net banking happen as expected (when the tag balance is below the threshold amount), but the money gets loaded to my CUG wallet and not my tag (I have only 1 tag linked to my account).
Paytm makes this so simple, I don't even bother with this. My paytm wallet is set to auto reload from my credit card when balance <₹500. I have 3 FASTTAG'S linked to this account. Whenever, the individual tag falls below the balance, it automatically reloads from the Paytm wallet. No fuss, no mess. It has flawlessly worked for the last 5 years without me bothering about it.

This is probably the single reason I recommend anyone to pick-up Paytm over others.
car_addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:33   #5313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
As if having fastag was not enough now we have another option available and which honestly i am not sure is why is it required in the first place. What next?
Exactly my point, if somebody will take the pain to buy a Pre-paid card, wouldn't he just get the Fastag!!

Rachit
Old 1st December 2020, 21:46   #5314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhasManjunath View Post
That is quite weird. Why not raise this with ICICI, and see what they recommend?
Old 1st December 2020, 21:57   #5315
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BHPians, I have a very weird issue with my ICICI Fastag.
The difference between the two IDs is actually just one character.
ID-1: 3416XXXX203*A*8972XXXX5EC0
ID-2: 3416XXXX203*2*8972XXXX5EC0
Your ICICI Fastag Account can be linked to multiple tags, one for each car you own but a physical tag can only have 1 (unique) ID, so I'm still wondering how a tag can have 2 IDs and how the reader can recognise those IDs ? my understanding is that tag ID is hardwired/pre-programmed into the RFID chip, so if that was always in your car, how did it get an additional ID during lockdown ?

Also, it seems like something happened at ICICI in the back end systems during the lockdown so do get in touch with them to see if they have any audit logs on the updates/changes.

Last edited by NPV : 1st December 2020 at 22:02.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:56   #5316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Exactly my point, if somebody will take the pain to buy a Pre-paid card, wouldn't he just get the Fastag!!

Rachit
I think, its for people who use self-drive cars, which would not be equipped by fastag. I have seen in some countries in Europe that they use just prepaid card and keep in-dashboard, which sensor detects.

I guess this is acknowledgement that fastag is unreliable and technology does not always work, so keep another prepaid card with you

Anyways options is good for customers, what would happen, if i get prepaid card for Car and use for Lorry..

Last edited by shamanth : 2nd December 2020 at 12:00.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:15   #5317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I don’t seem to find the ICICI Fastag App on the iOS store. Is it not available for iOS yet ?
I missed responding to this query since I posted screenshot of ICICI's FASTag App for Android. However, iOS user audioholic who also happens to use ICICI FASTag for one of this cars confirmed that there is no equivalent app from ICICI for iOS users.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 21:51   #5318
BHPian

Ordered Paytm fastag yesterday at 11:11am using its app. It was delivered by 10am today.
It was sent from a place called Kompally in Hyderabad. I am delighted with their lightning speed of delivery.

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2020 at 06:59. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:50   #5319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I missed responding to this query since I posted screenshot of ICICI's FASTag App for Android. However, iOS user audioholic who also happens to use ICICI FASTag for one of this cars confirmed that there is no equivalent app from ICICI for iOS users.
Hi Parag - would you know where I can pull reports of the payments made in tolls. I saw your screen shot and it clearly is a report out of toll name , money deducted and time of deduction.

I explored their website with my login and somehow never have been able to locate the tab or link that provided such an output.
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:19   #5320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi Parag - would you know where I can pull reports of the payments made in tolls. I saw your screen shot and it clearly is a report out of toll name , money deducted and time of deduction.

I explored their website with my login and somehow never have been able to locate the tab or link that provided such an output.
Log-In >> Statements and Activity >> Online Statement >> Select Date/Time Period >> Generate Statement >> Download Statement

You can then see all that you want in the PDF statement including Lane ID and Transaction reference number too!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd December 2020 at 22:22.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:45   #5321
Senior - BHPian

Is the minimum balance Rs.300 or Rs. 150 ? I always run into issues at the Nelamangala Toll Plaza and it was no different yesterday. I had a Paytm Wallet Balance of Rs 201 when I tried to pass the toll and had to pay (double) by cash as the toll operator said the tag is blacklisted for low balance. However, I didn't see the status change to 'blacklisted' after the tag was read. I also got a message for deduction of toll from my wallet this morning, despite having paid in cash and have raised a dispute.

I've now set up automatic top-up of Paytm wallet to avoid such a scenario in future but would like to know if the minimum balance is 300 or 150 as I didn't have any problems crossing a few tolls when my wallet balance was lesser than 300.
Old 4th December 2020, 14:27   #5322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That is quite weird. Why not raise this with ICICI, and see what they recommend?
Yes, Done this already, CMP000000005676860 is the ticket number that's issued but haven't heard from them till date, their telecall based customer care is useless, they don't even understand the issue and say my Fastag is working perfectly. I don't blame them as they really work out of the scripts given to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Your ICICI Fastag Account can be linked to multiple tags, one for each car you own but a physical tag can only have 1 (unique) ID, so I'm still wondering how a tag can have 2 IDs and how the reader can recognise those IDs ? my understanding is that tag ID is hardwired/pre-programmed into the RFID chip, so if that was always in your car, how did it get an additional ID during lockdown?
Yeah, even I thought the same that one account can have multiple tags but 1 tag can have only 1 ID, now ICICI is trying to prove me wrong
And also, just to make it simpler, this is the ONLY Fastag that I have from ICICI and also the only tag that's linked to this particular mobile number, so that eliminates the possible mixup of data as well.

Coming to the part where the reader can recognise two IDs, as mentioned in my previous post, you can observe that first, the reader reads a particular ID and it says that it's "Blacklisted" Later the toll booth person has to click "Ok" and sometimes, immediately the reader catches the 2nd ID or if it doesn't then I have to barely move my car by a few inches and the 2nd ID will be read, also there was one time where the particular system had to go back to the main page/home page and then when reader scanned the Fastag, the correct ID was read immediately.
Further to this, during the process to identify the problem they made me drive in the opposite direction to cross the toll booth, in that particular instance, the reader caught the right Tag ID on the first go itself.

In total, I had to drive my car across the toll both for 5 times in 3 different lanes during 2 separate days, all this exercise was done in the same Toll Plaza

Quote:
Also, it seems like something happened at ICICI in the back end systems during the lockdown so do get in touch with them to see if they have any audit logs on the updates/changes.
I don't have an in-depth understanding of how the network works for Fastag and what's adopted by ICICI, as far as I can understand all this is pretty much controlled by software and also the POS guys who sell Fastag do some sort of tagging or adding data to a particular portal, I feel when one such sale might have happened, the POS person must have made an error while inputting vehicle details/Tag ID/Account Number and then when he realized, must have simply blocked it, so the software must have auto-generated the 2nd Tag ID for my account and hence just the one character difference with two tag IDs that are reflected for me.
But now, I feel when such things can happen, ICICI should also be able to correct such issues at their backend instead of changing the tag itself.

Also, the other issue is when I log in to my ICICI Fastag account, I'm unable to see my Tag ID, this way I would've known which ID is the wrong one.
Is there a possibility or place on the physical tag where the ID is printed ?
Old 4th December 2020, 16:56   #5323
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, even I thought the same that one account can have multiple tags but 1 tag can have only 1 ID, now ICICI is trying to prove me wrong
And also, just to make it simpler, this is the ONLY Fastag that I have from ICICI and also the only tag that's linked to this particular mobile number, so that eliminates the possible mixup of data as well.
Wouldn't getting a replacement tag resolve the issue? ICICI delivers the tag home so it should not be too much of an inconvenience or if you're at a designated toll its literally a 5 min job to get a replacement.

Quote:
Also, the other issue is when I log in to my ICICI Fastag account, I'm unable to see my Tag ID, this way I would've known which ID is the wrong one.
Is there a possibility or place on the physical tag where the ID is printed ?
When you log into your Fastag account in the website, you'll see a table with your Tag Account no and Tag Serial No - To the right is View Tag Account Summary >> Vehicles >> Manage Tags >> Apply Pass

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot-20201204-16.54.31.png

Here you can also see the ID associated with your tag. Hope that helps.
Old 4th December 2020, 17:13   #5324
BHPian

Is anyone using Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) Fastag? Don't know why reputed brands like Skoda tie up with such crappy providers for providing the initial tag. Their web portal is down half of the time and no other way to recharge.

On my way from Goa I paid for the Vashi toll in cash of Rs. 40 (though I was in the FASTAG lane) but I got an SMS later saying the amount was deducted from the Tag as well. It is not a big amount but wanted to familiarise myself with the dispute process in case of a bigger amount in the future. There is no direct option I could find in the portal.
Old 4th December 2020, 20:11   #5325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Is the minimum balance Rs.300 or Rs. 150 ? I always run into issues at the Nelamangala Toll Plaza and it was no different yesterday. I had a Paytm Wallet Balance of Rs 201 when I tried to pass the toll and had to pay (double) by cash as the toll operator said the tag is blacklisted for low balance.
I think immediate requirement is taken care by FASTag balance, which is Rs. 150 for Paytm then it recovers from Paytm wallet and FASTag balance is always maintained as Rs. 150. My assumption is that FASTag will be blacklisted only if FASTag balance is not enough to cover the toll charge.

Last few times, I have just recharged wallet with required toll amount and did not face problem in passing via toll gate when Paytm wallet balance was less than Rs. 300.

Last edited by airbus : 4th December 2020 at 20:32.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks