Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2019, 09:39   #4396
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Traveled from Bangalore towards Sirsi via Haveri yesterday and here's my FASTag experience.

Was surprised that queue at Nelamangala toll was backed up almost 200 mts on the flyover at 2pm on a weekday. The right most 3 or 4 lanes are fastag only and the left lanes are marked as cash only. They've made a single lane for FASTag on the right which then branches out to the other lanes. With some vehicles wanting to go right and some left, there was blockage of lanes and vehicles were getting stuck. But once you get past that single fastag barrier, you move fast. The cash lanes were moving very slowly. Tag scanning was smooth and fast

At Jas toll booth also it was the same. Right lanes are Fastag only and left lanes are cash only (probably hybrid). Fastag lanes were moving quite smoothly. These lanes are manned by personnel, athough without barriers. But non fastag vehicles weren't entering which ensured smooth passage for Fastag cars.

Almost all the other toll gates had similar sign boards mentioning the fastag lanes and cash lanes although they were not consistent as to which side was fastag and which side was cash. Some toll gates had left lanes for fastag while some had right lanes for fastag. Overall the bifurcation of cash and fastag lanes really helped and I was able to zoom past most gates as the first in line , while the cash lanes had at least 7 or 8 vehicles lined up.

If they maintain this discipline over the next few months, I am sure fastag compliance will improve drastically. Nothing inspires people more than the envy of seeing other cars zoom by while you are stuck in a queue.

On other point I have to mention is that I have removed the factory fitted RFID tag which was right below my fastag. I have experienced 3 scenarios
  • Both tags visible : My FASTag detection was very poor and most times hand held scanners had to be pulled out.

• FASTag visible, other tag blocked with RFID blocker aluminium foil sheets : FASTag detection improved. It got detected at most gates but sometimes hand held scanners were needed. Even at the gates that it got detected, it would take minimum of 5 to 10 seconds for detection

• Factory tag removed, only FASTag visible : Detection was very quick (almost instantaneous) at all toll gates and hand held scanner was not required at all. It is quite possible that readers have been upgraded/ refurbished ahead of deadline. But the difference is quite stark.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st December 2019 at 09:41.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 14:30   #4397
Senior - BHPian

Travelled from Mumbai to Pune today and as expected there was a screwup. I have been charged double.
Any idea how to go about getting a refund from ICICI ?

There was a major jam and diversion at the Khopoli plaza and we were diverted to the opposite side lane. No Tag scanner or screen was visible and they were collecting cash. Paid in cash and then later got an SMS that the toll has been deducted from the tag as well.
How do I go about getting a refund ?
Old 21st December 2019, 16:26   #4398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I got my 1500/- credited back just now. It is interesting to know the root cause since NEFT is a better way to charge than Credit Card. I will use the Axis Bank tag for my next week's trip and later check whether to switch to other bank based on your opinion.

One question though. When you discard the tag how do they pay back the so called security deposit? Say in case I do not have an account with that bank and I do not wish to get a new tag from them again.
Probably by a cheque sent to your KYC address. I think I saw this mentioned somewhere, maybe FAQ section of HDFC Bank.

Last edited by risga : 21st December 2019 at 16:26. Reason: typo and shortening the post
Old 21st December 2019, 16:28   #4399
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
How do I go about getting a refund ?
You will have to raise a dispute on the ICICI Fastag portal. Please search this thread and you will find detailed posts explaining how to go about.
Old 21st December 2019, 17:59   #4400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Thanks makes sense and today received a SMS as below. Guess they have lot of requests pending to attend and they are sorting out in batches.
Received my ICICIFastag today. Took exactly a week. Got it stickered to the windscreen. Recharged it for Rs300/- through the iMobile app and the amount got credited instantaneously.
Is there way to check the transactions in the ICICIFastag. Tried registering in the ICICI Fastag website but the system is not sending me the OTP for completing it.
Old 21st December 2019, 18:35   #4401
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here fixed the Fastag on their front windscreen sun film? Is it working without any issue? Please inform.
Old 21st December 2019, 20:07   #4402
BHPian

I have laminated the tag so that I can remove it from windscreen. It works fine.

On a separate note, I had problem with paytm wallet and its fastag. Even when there was enough balance, the tag was being rejected at plazas due to insufficient balance. Even paytm app was showing tag having insufficient balance. I raised a ticket on the paytm app and issue was resolved within few hours. No issues since then. Having fastag is bliss on our highways.
Old 21st December 2019, 21:35   #4403
BHPian

Quote:
Is there way to check the transactions in the ICICIFastag.

Use ICICI Pockets app to see the debit and credit transactions.
Old 21st December 2019, 22:32   #4404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is it correct one should remove the windscreen sun film before affixing the Fastag? If anyone has affixed on rhe sun film and didn't face any issue, please comment. I have not yet affixed my Fastag.
Been working fine for me despite for the last 3 years despite the CR70 film. The automatic barriers always open
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 22:44   #4405
BHPian

Quote:
Received my ICICIFastag today. Took exactly a week. Got it stickered to the windscreen. Recharged it for Rs300/- through the iMobile app and the amount got credited instantaneously.
Is there way to check the transactions in the ICICIFastag. Tried registering in the ICICI Fastag website but the system is not sending me the OTP for completing it.
There's a separate app of ICICI FastTag

Link
dmplog is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 08:21   #4406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
There's a separate app of ICICI FastTag

Link
This is only for Android and is not available for IOS. Seems the only way is to use Pockets from ICICI as mentioned by @pgupta. I'm yet to try this. Will update the thread after using it.
Old 22nd December 2019, 08:59   #4407
Senior - BHPian

The thought of recharging my HDFC Fastag is giving me nightmares. I hate the process from the bottom of my heart.

Last time I tried, it took me 50 minutes and ~4.5% extra money to complete the recharge (₹9 on a ₹200 reload). I would have spent less time and money on fuel while waiting in cash queues at the toll gates. Funds could not be added via debit or credit card which had lower charges (zero as per the recharge page). It had to be done using Netbanking which inexplicably carries the highest charges.

Recharge via UPI returned my money after a week instead of crediting the FasTag account.

I want to switch to a simpler process so I got my Father and Brother to order a Paytm FasTag instead for their cars. The FasTags arrived in 5 days flat and are apparently linked to their Paytm wallets. So, apparently, reloading that one is as simple as reloading the Paytm wallet which can be set to auto-topup using a credit card for no charge.

Now the problem with switching. My car sees a toll gate 6 times a week. So, i need to manage at least 1 transitional week without a Fastag. Not too much of a hassle, but it is becoming increasingly so.

If I decide to make the switch, I need to make sure I get the replacement before Jan 15th or I miss the 3rd deadline.

Has anyone else switched Fastag providers yet? What is your experience. How horrific is that process or is it as simple as me placing an order for a new Paytm FasTag from their app?
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:46   #4408

Removable FastTag sticker

Hi,

Is there a way to make the FastTag sticker removable. I use the Toll plaza maybe once in 4 months and frankly the FastTag sticker makes the car look ugly.
I am thinking of sticking the FastTag to a transparent film and stick it when required by using suction pads or something.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2019 at 09:55. Reason: Post moved to existing thread. Please SEARCH before creating a new thread on topics extensively discussed before. Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2019, 11:49   #4409
Senior - BHPian

Re: Removable FastTag sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusteinstein View Post
Is there a way to make the FastTag sticker removable?
You can try this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Remove the brown backing, paste a transparent tape to cover the adhesive side completely. Paste another tape on the other side with few mm protruding out on all sides and experiment wherever you want.
or this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Buy a mobile screen protector, not the tempered glass but the PU or plastic screen guard. Paste screen protector on the windshield, and then the fastag on the screen protector. You can remove this and reposition practically any number of times and can also wash the adhesive side and re-paste it without any issues.
or this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I never stuck the fastag on my windscreen (I don't do it for any stickers like parking tags etc. either). I laminated the sticker side of Fastag with clingfilm and it sits with the other tags in a dashboard cubbyhole. I insert the relevant one in the windshield ticket holder when needed.
Klub Class is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 17:32   #4410
BHPian

Re: Removable FastTag sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
So, i need to manage at least 1 transitional week without a Fastag...Has anyone else switched Fastag providers yet? What is your experience. How horrific is that process or is it as simple as me placing an order for a new Paytm FasTag from their app?
I have switched from ICICI to paytm for exact same reason. Too much trouble recharging icici using their website.

You don't need to be without fastag even for a moment. Dont cancel your hdfc tag yet. Place order for paytm tag on their app, and continue using your existing tag till you receive new tag. Cancel old one only after receiving your paytm tag. I like paytm for the convenience it offers with recharging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusteinstein View Post

Is there a way to make the FastTag sticker removable.
I put it on a transparent sheet of plastic (like a lamination) I found in the house, and cut it to shape. I stick it using a piece of clear tape whenever necessary. Once I forgot sticking the tag before hand but it worked when i just placed it on the dash. Guards at the toll entry were surprised when I waved the tag at them. Probably they were expecting it on the windshield.

Last edited by Comrade : 22nd December 2019 at 17:38.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks